Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best 2nd Ed Realms Trilogy/Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:06:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Given the space provided in the 12 poll slots: Which trilogy or series was your favorite for the 2nd edition Realms and why? If yours is not listed please share anyways.

Choices:

Dark Elf Trilogy
Icewind Dale Trilogy
Harpers Series
Pools Series
Cleric Quintet
Cormyr Saga
Moonshae Trilogy
Empires Trilogy
Finder''''s Stone
Legacy of the Drow
Maztica Trilogy

(Anonymous Vote)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 20 Sep 2011 16:20:47

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:09:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to choose the Icewind Dale Trilogy because it introduced me to the Realms, and because it covered a wide range of the Realms (geographically speaking).

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:22:36  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well let's see. Being quite new to the realms (Well I'm actually a 10 year veteran of the Baldur's Gate game...but that doesn't really count) I am still shoveling my way through the seemingly insurmountable mountain of FR books. Of the 2e/listed books I have read.....The Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewind Dale Trilogy and Legacy of the Drow. Yeah, it's not looking too good. I think I might be a bit...I'm not sure...biased? Anyway so out of these three I would say that my favorite is, without a doubt, the Dark Elf Trilogy.

Why you ask? Because of the drow politics and the mood it created. I felt like I was truly deep in a city of malevolence. And no! I do not like it for its battle choreography! As far as I'm concerned Salvatore is one of the poorest at doing this that I have ever read. Though I admit it's not like I go out of my way to find atrociously written books but I still stand by what I say.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:27:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Light

Well let's see. Being quite new to the realms (Well I'm actually a 10 year veteran of the Baldur's Gate game...but that doesn't really count) I am still shoveling my way through the seemingly insurmountable mountain of FR books. Of the 2e/listed books I have read.....The Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewind Dale Trilogy and Legacy of the Drow. Yeah, it's not looking too good. I think I might be a bit...I'm not sure...biased? Anyway so out of these three I would say that my favorite is, without a doubt, the Dark Elf Trilogy.

Why you ask? Because of the drow politics and the mood it created. I felt like I was truly deep in a city of malevolence. And no! I do not like it for its battle choreography! As far as I'm concerned Salvatore is one of the poorest at doing this that I have ever read. Though I admit it's not like I go out of my way to find atrociously written books but I still stand by what I say.

I also enjoyed the drow politics of Menzoberanzzzzzzzzzzzan. The idea of a female dominated city of chaotic evil elves was unique and very intriguing

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:33:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There should be a "None" option.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:35:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

There should be a "None" option.

I did consider this as well, and one could always do the same poll for 3rd and 4th edition too.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:54:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the series listed, I had to pick the Finder's Stone. Small scale, no RSEs, memorable characters, good stories, and a feel for the Realms matched by few other authors.

I might have gone for the Harpers books, because some of them, like Elaine's books, Ring of Winter, or Masquerade, I really loved. But there were others that I thoroughly failed to enjoy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:56:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham's "Danilo" books for the most part.

[And yes, I deliberately focused on Danilo, as he's my favourite Realms character.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:59:11  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is too hard a choice. I can't decide! I could only say which ones I didn't like. Of a series, some books are very fun great reads that evoke my first ever gold box Game (Pool of Radiance) while others are horrible (Pools of Darkness).

Too many amazing books to pick the best.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:16:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I enjoyed some in the Harpers series. However, some gave me headache, though not as severely as The Avatar and Pools trilogies.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  22:22:44  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  01:40:09  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Avatars series I liked precisely the books which were not part of the series: book 4 and 5. The series itself was not to my liking in writing style.

Even though I still have to read Song of the Saurials, my vote goes to Finder's Stone. Realms at its best, even though I liked Elaine's books even better.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  22:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was too hard to pick just one, so I decided to go with the Avatar Trilogy for now.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

rhune
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  09:31:26  Show Profile Send rhune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had to go with the Harper series, though I missed out on a few of the books (Red Magic and The Ring of Winter.)
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  01:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Avatar Series (all five books) really give perspective to the Realms and how the Pantheon is involved. This, in my opinion, is what sets the Realms apart from other campaign settings. Ed's frequent comments on how he envisions people paying homage/tribute to multiple deities isn't well reflected herein, but at least the changes from 1E to 2E are explained! I found Price of Lies to be one of the best in the series, and Jim Lowder to be a great author. I was not unhappy with any of the other series listed, and Bob Salvatore has a flair for writing, especially in the 2E/3E world. The Cleric Quintet was a fantastic series, too! I could go on, but again - nothing bad on the list.

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  04:18:21  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonshaes Trilogy for me. The reason is because they were the first Realms novels that I ever read, they were the "magic" that attracted me to the setting. The Harpers series & the Cormyr Saga would be my next favorites.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)

Edited by - Nilus Reynard on 13 Oct 2011 04:18:43
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  05:45:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonshae trilogy was a bit of an oddity, not originally written for the Realms, just revised and shoehorned into the setting. That's probably why it used (previously unheard of) moonwells, Earth Goddess (and her living toys), and had some confusion between Malar, Bane, Bhaal, and Talos. I've always suspected that the Moonshae islands didn't exist on Realms maps prior to the novels, at least not beyond name. Remember that the canon-published Realms was a much smaller world at the time, even the North was still considered something of an exotic faraway frontier land.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  01:12:08  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either way, it is still my favorite trilogy to date.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  10:52:15  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to go with Dark elf, The politics, the worship of Lolth, the power struggle bewtween houses, the story of a small character trying to change his place gotta love it!
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  11:35:22  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finder's Stone I think, as far as I remember they were the most fun. How I imagine typical Realms PC's.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  12:09:53  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read all of 'em, but of the ones posted I've read I think I'd go for the Finder's Stone trilogy.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  13:31:59  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't decide between The Finder's Stone and Song and Swords.

I loved Kate Nowak's and Jeff Grubb's collaboration as it was the first Realms books that I read.

Elaine's superb characterisation's in her series have always been my aim in the games that I run, the banter between Arilyn and Danilo always made me chuckle.

Can't decide... didn't vote
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  14:51:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

I can't decide between The Finder's Stone and Song and Swords.

I loved Kate Nowak's and Jeff Grubb's collaboration as it was the first Realms books that I read.

Elaine's superb characterisation's in her series have always been my aim in the games that I run, the banter between Arilyn and Danilo always made me chuckle.

Can't decide... didn't vote

I did enjoy the Finder's Stone books, even though bards tend to annoy me.

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  19:06:01  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't want to sound like a hater, but I was pretty disappointed with the Maztica trilogy. I think Doug Cook wrote it, but I'm also pretty sure he was told "we need to tell the story of the Spanish taking over Mexico" and that the characters kind of lacked the depth of other setting additions. I wasn't sad to see it disappear in 4E, so there's a plus for 4E! Lolth versus Helm was also kind of weird...but that's a whole different issue. Anyway, the Maztican gods were never present in any of the Avatar Series (even the later ones long after the campaign had been published) so I feel that the Maztica series is kind of an outlier in this set.

Azuth

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  19:57:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

I don't want to sound like a hater, but I was pretty disappointed with the Maztica trilogy. I think Doug Cook wrote it, but I'm also pretty sure he was told "we need to tell the story of the Spanish taking over Mexico" and that the characters kind of lacked the depth of other setting additions. I wasn't sad to see it disappear in 4E, so there's a plus for 4E! Lolth versus Helm was also kind of weird...but that's a whole different issue. Anyway, the Maztican gods were never present in any of the Avatar Series (even the later ones long after the campaign had been published) so I feel that the Maztica series is kind of an outlier in this set.

Azuth

Douglas Niles, not Doug Cook

Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  20:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorites were either the Moonshae Trilogy or the Cleric Quintet.

The Moonshae Trilogy were the first Realms novels I read and I love how they are written almost in an adventure type format. I also like how Niles makes the Moonshaes really come alive in them without (for the most part) the involvement of super-characters.

For the Cleric Quintet, Salvatore kept it regional in nature and focused on an area with scant other information. And while at the end of the series it may have gotten a little over the top, the first 3 books alone were fantastic and could fit into any campaign in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  20:19:07  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Azuth

When something is completely replaced, I like to ask "is the replacement better? Does it add more, and does it improve over the thing that's now gone?"

In the case of Maztica, I think the new replacement is actually worse than what we had. Not that I loved Maztica or anything, it wasn't something I ever really used. But they did have a semi-interesting thing going on with the Aztec-like native people there. And way, way better than dragonborn. Heh!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  23:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise
When something is completely replaced, I like to ask "is the replacement better? Does it add more, and does it improve over the thing that's now gone?"

In the case of Maztica, I think the new replacement is actually worse than what we had. Not that I loved Maztica or anything, it wasn't something I ever really used. But they did have a semi-interesting thing going on with the Aztec-like native people there. And way, way better than dragonborn. Heh!

In that, we are entirely in agreement!

Azuth

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  23:39:18  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Douglas Niles, not Doug Cook

I stand corrected, and thank you, Wooly.

Azuth

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  05:17:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had no interest in Maztica, myself... But I objected to its replacement simply on the grounds that it was an established part of the Realms, and as such, shouldn't be conveniently written out of canon.

I've never read the Maztica trilogy, because I didn't really care for the Moonshae trilogy -- it was one of those ones I couldn't wait to finish, simply so I could move on to something else. On the other hand, I rather enjoyed the Druidhome trilogy -- though not enough to put it on a list of faves.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  05:25:50  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first read about Abeir and the dragonborn, I just kept thinking "this is really embarrassing, and dopey. Scaly but mammals? Come on, they can't be serious! How can they think this is good?"

And several years later, I still think it was a really awful replacement, just way too cartoony for the Realms. What I've been told is that "this is no longer the 'Age of Humanity' in the Realms" and I think that's unfortunately true. The influx of tieflings, dragonborn, earthmotes, it all just pulls away from realism and pushes toward a very different kind of fantasy. Not to my tastes at all.

I'd much rather have Maztica and pseudo-Aztecs farming their corn and coffee.

In fact, I think I'll add the Maztica trilogy to my reading list. It's fortunate, really, that there's still a TON of old Realms things that I haven't yet had the pleasure of reading or experiencing, and I've been around a long time.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 15 Oct 2011 05:27:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000