Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most Interesting (Coolest) Sobriquet
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  20:30:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wonder if Trobriand can also manipulate etherium.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  01:55:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I propose that Trobriand's epithet be changed to "The Mage of Magnetism." Sounds Magneto-ish, but a fine improvement.

That might explain the numerous sightings of an Asteroid M-like construct floating in orbit around Toril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  02:01:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I propose that Trobriand's epithet be changed to "The Mage of Magnetism." Sounds Magneto-ish, but a fine improvement.

That might explain the numerous sightings of an Asteroid M-like construct floating in orbit around Toril.

Maybe Trobriand is Magneto's alternate self in Toril.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  01:25:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, it's Mags himself- courtesy of a link to Earth accidentally created by my own monk/wizard currently residing in Waterdeep- Petrius Paquar, aka Edanliante(his elvish epithet) or Orbrivvil. (If you speak drowish...)

On topic, I've always liked Halaster's.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  13:19:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

On topic, I've always liked Halaster's.

Whenever the word mad is mentioned in FR fiction to describe someone, almost automatically I think of Cyric.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  17:34:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Pale Night deserves an honorable mention. It seems ironic that such beautiful title is held by a powerful being so hideous that even reality itself rejects it.

Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  20:25:27  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Halaster Blackcloak – The Mad-Mage of Undermountain

Always liked Halaster (or Hilather, depends on what era).

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  16:16:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I can't believe no one mentioned The Srinshee. The sound alone inspires fear and awe. Perhaps we're so used to calling Oluevaera Estelda by her title that we think it's her name?!

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  07:26:32  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does the Srinshee mean?

voted for the Seraph of Lies, although the Soujourner has a mysterious quality

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  07:38:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

voted for the Seraph of Lies, although the Soujourner has a mysterious quality

I am not sure. Maybe an elven title for the most powerful and most revered non-deity being.

Agreed on The Sojourner.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  10:42:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

quote:
Hello, all. Wooly Rupert recently asked Ed of the Greenwood this: So does "Srinshee" have a specific meaning, then?

And Ed makes reply: Yes.

After I stopped laughing, I sent Ed back a “c’mon, dear, more!” e-mail, and received this additional lore:

“srinna” is an old, nigh-forgotten Elvish dialect word meaning: “one who tests limits/the testing of limits/the finding of new horizons and thus establishing new boundaries”

From this, obviously, “srinshee” is a wise female elder, strong in magic, who tests the limits (of magic), and THE Srinshee is an individual whom some elves, at some time, have officially confirmed or anointed in this role. The term has drifted, over the long years, to mean something more like ‘keeper of the secrets’ (of magic) or ‘keeper of our power.’

So saith Ed. so there you have it, Wooly dearest.
love to all,
THO

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  10:56:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with Foxy!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  11:03:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I should have also included Szass Tam, The Regent of Thay.

The Lich Lord of Thay doesn't sound bad, either.

Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  11:06:46  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nightseer!

I am biased btw.

Shar!

Edited by - Nightseer on 18 Oct 2011 11:14:28
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  12:10:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nightseer

Nightseer!

I am biased btw.

Your username made that pretty obvious.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  12:47:52  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't believe no one mentioned The Srinshee. The sound alone inspires fear and awe. Perhaps we're so used to calling Oluevaera Estelda by her title that we think it's her name?!

Haha, I may have been guilty of that.

I'm also probably guilty of voting 'other' for the Blackstaff because lately I've realized I do like Khelben quite a bit for no specific reason I can pinpoint. A rare thing (never mind that I do usually know exactly why I like certain characters), since I generally tend to like wizards as much as you like (well, dislike, obviously) fighters.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  13:08:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

quote:

I'm also probably guilty of voting 'other' for the Blackstaff because lately I've realized I do like Khelben quite a bit for no specific reason I can pinpoint. A rare thing (never mind that I do usually know exactly why I like certain characters), since I generally tend to like wizards as much as you like (well, dislike, obviously) fighters.

Not exactly dislike, but indifferent. I tend to avoid them for my sake.

----

Khelben's a fine archmage. He shouldn't have died.

Edited by - Dennis on 18 Oct 2011 13:09:44
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  15:18:52  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

quote:

Not exactly dislike, but indifferent. I tend to avoid them for my sake.

----

Khelben's a fine archmage. He shouldn't have died.

Yeah, I know, I was just kidding.
Go to Top of Page

Idamar of Thay
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  00:10:57  Show Profile Send Idamar of Thay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote Dmitra Flass for the pure courage to give yourself a royal title, even if only figurative, in a land ruled by arrogant mage-lords who hate the idea of royalty.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  01:43:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Idamar of Thay

I vote Dmitra Flass for the pure courage to give yourself a royal title, even if only figurative, in a land ruled by arrogant mage-lords who hate the idea of royalty.

The zulkirs tolerated it because it's a rung lower than queen. Had she been bold enough to call herself queen, I suppose the zulkirs would have eliminated her.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  06:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No reflection on any of the characters, but I think that the Seraph of Lies is the best sobriquet here.

The Sojourner is also pretty cool.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  12:48:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does Khelben's son have a nickname? Little Blackstaff? Blackstaff Junior?

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  14:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm fairly sure both those terms refer to something of more intimate nature to the Blackstaff.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  14:45:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

The Sojourner is also pretty cool.

Agreed. It somehow reverberates a sense of mystery. And irony, once the reader knows what the bearer of that name is capable of.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  15:30:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Until he grows up, he's the Blackstick. And once he becomes an old man, he'll be the Blackcane.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  15:34:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

O-K. I kinda expected a reply of that sort.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  17:30:18  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to go with 'Blackstafflings', ya know, like ducklings.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2011 :  02:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malik cause he cant lie.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000