Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 On deities, demigod, Ao, and the Pantheons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  06:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

While we've been having a lively chat about all sorts of marvelous things in the scroll on Ao resurrecting Eilistraee, we're drifting way off topic. So, this scroll is to discuss all things divine. Pantheon, powers, divine magic, Ao, changes to deities in editions... gods, gods, gods. I'm trying not to limit the scroll's topic overmuch because we've had some really great conversation organically around this topic. Accordingly, this scroll will just deal with any random questions or comments about the deities of any race or pantheon, theology, et cetera.
Cheers,

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  17:29:52  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right! I'll post my reply over here and prune the part about Eilistraee:
quote:
System-wise, I think the one-step alignment divine casting rule was sound. But story-wise, I think the new edition investment of divine abilities is much more interesting. Again, I like to use a middle ground: most high level priests have such a high degree of trust from and to their deities that they won't lightly divest their divine spells from them even if they are starting a heresy and begin using their god-given power for aims opposite of the alignment of their patron god.

A high priest has so much clout in the real world religious discourse that a deity can be fearful of the impact of showing disfavor to him. A good example of this was given in Power of Fearun, where the fire-genasi high priest Daelegoth Orndeir claimed Lathander was actually poised to transform back into Amaunator. He single-handedly changed a god by his faith in his own belief.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  21:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Right! I'll post my reply over here and prune the part about Eilistraee:
quote:
System-wise, I think the one-step alignment divine casting rule was sound. But story-wise, I think the new edition investment of divine abilities is much more interesting. Again, I like to use a middle ground: most high level priests have such a high degree of trust from and to their deities that they won't lightly divest their divine spells from them even if they are starting a heresy and begin using their god-given power for aims opposite of the alignment of their patron god.

A high priest has so much clout in the real world religious discourse that a deity can be fearful of the impact of showing disfavor to him. A good example of this was given in Power of Fearun, where the fire-genasi high priest Daelegoth Orndeir claimed Lathander was actually poised to transform back into Amaunator. He single-handedly changed a god by his faith in his own belief.

Perhaps. The problem we have with things such as The Power of Faerūn is that we don't know if the text was written because of Wizbro mandates, or not. Since so many deific deaths occurred, I'm inclined to believe that this is actually an example of a story being written to explain why one god replaced another. As a greater power, Lathander could have been both deities and mortals wouldn't be the wiser. The reason I believe that mortals cannot have this type of control over a deity is the implications are terrible for a pantheon. What if enough evil mortals decided Istishia was going to change into an aspect of Auril? Water everywhere would freeze. While I understand your point, Bladewind, I still think the divine have the upper hand. Ao makes or breaks deities, and anything that happens to them does so with his permission.

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  21:55:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to agree with that comment, Azuth. Deities are/were usually much harder to change than a mortal follower. I think that case was probably more an example of a mortal who was simply ahead of his time, and perhaps even a sort of prophet regarding the future of Lathander.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000