Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Where does this spelling of Lolth come from?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LadyAraushnee
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  04:57:40  Show Profile  Visit LadyAraushnee's Homepage Send LadyAraushnee a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been looking all of the the web for where this spelling of Lolth comes from: "Loethe"?

I have seen it listed as an alternate spelling of Lolth and Lloth.
I have seen those spellings in novels, but I cannot find any information as to the origin to Loethe.

As far as I can tell, it is just listed on sites as an alternate spelling, which could mean some random person made it up. I really would like to know if this is a correct spelling from any d&d realm or is it was randomly made up.

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  05:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, a warm welcome to the 'Keep, Lady Araushnee.
I've not seen "Loethe" before, and if it's not a random invention, it might be from a foreign translation where "Löthe" would be easier for a native speaker to pronounce/seem less odd than "Lolth", but that's pure speculation on my part.

Any info, fellow scribes?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  05:31:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

AFAIK, there are only two "official" spellings for name of the Spider Queen: Lolth and Lloth. So that "Loethe" must either be fan-made or a foreign translation, [or a simple misspelling by a fan who was in a hurry, bad at spelling, or both].

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  05:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always wondered if it was a variation of "Lilith". I do not think that I have ever seen any official etymology of fro the name though.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  09:24:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lloth and drow appeared in several 1E modules, but her name was changed to Lolth when finally published a few years later in the Fiend Folio (under the Drow entry) and in Deities & Demigods; subsequent materials consistently preferred the Lolth spelling, and Lloth seems to have entirely disappeared somewhere within 2E. Some people treat Lloth as her name in the drow language, as stated in the earliest introductory modules.

I've never seen other spellings of her name; Loethe and Löthe might be pseudo-Lolths designed to circumvent WotC legal territory. Combining her tale with Lilith would interesting but I think not easily done; serpents and spiders carry different symbolism, plus of course Lloth's Seldarine origins are clearly inviolate.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  15:19:20  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Lloth and drow appeared in several 1E modules, but her name was changed to Lolth when finally published a few years later in the Fiend Folio (under the Drow entry) and in Deities & Demigods; subsequent materials consistently preferred the Lolth spelling, and Lloth seems to have entirely disappeared somewhere within 2E. Some people treat Lloth as her name in the drow language, as stated in the earliest introductory modules.

I've never seen other spellings of her name; Loethe and Löthe might be pseudo-Lolths designed to circumvent WotC legal territory. Combining her tale with Lilith would interesting but I think not easily done; serpents and spiders carry different symbolism, plus of course Lloth's Seldarine origins are clearly inviolate.

Don''t know what edition they are suppoused to be but I think the WotSQ saga refer to her as Lloth. Anyways I think it has better musicallity the Lolth spelling IMO...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  18:28:16  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those unfamiliar with Zakhara, there is Lotha, a human-headed spider venerated by evil elves who were "burned alive for their sins" (perhaps burned = marked by Corellon with black skin?). Lotha is not openly worshipped, but rather considered one of the Savage Forgotten Gods of the ruined river kingdoms. Really ancient temples or shrines to this Lotha just might be hidden underground in those regions.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  00:12:22  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way it had been explained to me, Lolth/Lloth is meant to be pronounced similarly to loathe; Loethe may just be trying to reflect that better. I know I pronounced Lloth as rhyming with sloth foe the longest time.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY

Edited by - Chosen of Asmodeus on 11 Sep 2011 01:00:53
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  00:59:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been explained in my campaigning as translation-induced uncertainty. The actual name and pronunciation, at least as spoken by her Drow worshippers, is said to be impossible to properly write in Common. There's basically just no way to use the alphabet to properly write the strange soundforms used in a foreign language. Consider the many different English (Roman alphabet) transcriptions for names from Slavic languages; all the Slavs pronounce them in a consistent fashion, yet they just can't really be written intelligibly to an English speaker who isn't accustomed to shaping the accents and syllables. So much worse when the "foreign language" is from another continent or period in history or (in this instance) another species. The Drow probably all know Lolth's name, and she answers to it ... that's all that matters.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  02:22:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If "Loethe" is pronounced as two syllables...that would be like the Korean or Japanese pronunciation of "Lolth," the middle "l" silent. Koreans and Japanese tend to add a syllable at the end of a word [e.g. beach becomes beache].

Edited by - Dennis on 11 Sep 2011 03:25:48
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  11:58:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I swear that I have seen that spelling in my library somewhere. Shadow Rift, maybe? I'll have to rack my brain or do some digging when I get home

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2011 :  12:26:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Friend google gave the following results. The sites where such spelling of Lolth were used:

MINDSPRING

PVV

Go to Top of Page

LadyAraushnee
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  00:04:30  Show Profile  Visit LadyAraushnee's Homepage Send LadyAraushnee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Friend google gave the following results. The sites where such spelling of Lolth were used:

MINDSPRING

PVV

Google is how I stumbled on the spelling, however there is not a single site that I can find that tells me where Loethe comes from.

I am trying to develop a list of d&d characters and I have been working on drow characters and deities from forgotten realms for some time now. I wish to have any alt spellings and aliases. However, I need to know where different spellings come from. If it isn't in any d&d campaign, then I will exclude that spelling. For example, Kiaransalee is in forgotten realms, she is also in greyhawk and her name is spelled Kiaransali. There will be some exceptions to this rule. I have desperately been looking for fairy names in d&d novels as well, and the only one I have is Escalla from greyhawk.

PS: Thanks for the welcome. =)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  05:07:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, doing a little work, it appears the name Loethe is a true name that exists in Wales, Scotland and England.
As to games I found it, War of Warcraft (though might be user name)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2011 :  05:44:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loethe, Lothe, and Loth (with or without umlaut ö diacritics) are apparently all uncommon surnames from the Germanic countries; essentially just linguistic variations from which our English words loath and loathe are derived (actually, I'm unsure whether these are two different words or just two differing dictionaries). A few mildly famous individuals have these surnames. Lilith seems to be entirely unrelated.

I would guess that any occurrences of Loethe, Lothe, or Loth instead of Lolth / Lloth in any official TSR/WotC publications would be some sort of oversight or typo. Perhaps even a context taken from text passages deliberately written to introduce errors or simulate "old drow" dialects or whatever.

I personally much prefer Goethe over Loethe, but then again I've always been partial to Faust.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Sep 2011 05:52:49
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  23:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

The way it had been explained to me, Lolth/Lloth is meant to be pronounced similarly to loathe; Loethe may just be trying to reflect that better. I know I pronounced Lloth as rhyming with sloth foe the longest time.
I don't know where these ideas come from, but the 'Lloth' spelling first appeared as a Bob Salvatore typo, which was later rationalized as a Menzoberranzan/Uluitur regionalism. 'Lolth' is pronounced just as it's spelled, though I don't know if Gary used a short or long o.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000