Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Dead Three
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  05:25:08  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know or have any theories/estimations on when the Dead Three (Bhaal, Myrkul and Bane) gained their divinity? Was it thousands of years ago or only a hundred or two?

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  05:26:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say thousands... but by te bell in the deep, I'm not sure.....

was it in the ghotr.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  05:39:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Estimates suggest between 267 DR and 700 DR as the time of ascension for Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul.

Though... Lands of Intrigue notes that a young noble of Clan Fyrson, in -88 DR, was charged with worshipping the dark gods Bane and Myrkul. This tends to throw the above estimates out and suggests that Bane and Myrkul ascended earlier than 267 DR and after -339 DR which marks the Fall of Netheril.

We also know that Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul slew Borem -- one of the Seven Lost Gods -- each seizing a portion of Borem's divine essence for themselves. This was, perhaps, shortly before they entered the Castle of Bone and confronted Jergal.

Faiths & Pantheons places the Lake of Boiling Mud's, which may have been the "avatar" of Borem, possible location on Mezeketh Isle -- two miles SW of Saerloon's harbor. It's also said that the Lake may have existed, during pre-Dale Reckoning, somewhere in Jhaamdath -- possibly in the vicinity of what would become Sembia. No specific dates are offered.

Jhaamdath "falls" in -255 DR. And Chondathan, which will eventually become Saerloon, was "properly" established between the 360's and 380's DR. 'Tis likely founded some time before that... given that Chondathan migrations across the Inner Sea to the lands of what will become Sembia, occur around the -200s DR.

Given the -339 DR starting point, and the details about the Lake possibly being located in pre-Dale Reckoning Jhaamdath, that could possibly narrow the period of Bane's ascension to between Netheril's Fall in -339 DR and the Fall of Jhaamdath in -255 DR.

Additionally, Eric Boyd offers this little tidbit...

"Implicit in your assumption is that the Lake of Burning Blood is a "real lake". I'd suggest that maybe it's a moveable lake (in other words, the lake is the "avatar" of Borem). Alternatively, it could be the lake is created by opening a blood-spewing portal. When the portal closes/moves, the lake drains away.

--Eric"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  11:14:31  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sage! That is exactly the kind of well-reasoned theory I was hoping for.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  05:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See page 46 of the Grand History of the Realms. Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul slew Borem in the Year of Boiling Moats, which was -359 DR.

This was part of their epic quest necessary for ascending to divinity. They did not ascend immediately after slaying Borem, and in fact traveled to Cormanthor shortly after. Their quest could possibly have gone on for some years more, but it seems likely they ascended prior to the fall of Netheril. Although, in any case it could not have been later than -88 DR per the Lands of Intrigue reference that Sage already mentioned, as the trio were all well established as dark gods by that date.

It is possible that Jergal wanted to relinquish the dusk portfolio before the Fall of Netheril so that he could avoid his impending death. Netheril's fall also marks the passing of Amaunator, after which the god of Dusk would be ascendant according to Eric Boyd's tripartite sun theory. From that point, Jergal's days would be numbered. One theory is that Jergal passed his portfolio on to Myrkul so that Myrkul would die in his stead.

After Amaunator's recent reemergence in the current Realms, Jergal should be free to reclaim the Dusk portfolio from Kelemvor, if he still wants it.

Page 17 of the supplement to Dungeon #130 (issued as a free on-line pdf from Paizo) had conversion notes for the Age of Worms campaign for the Forgotten Realms, and contained some very interesting apocryphal lore about Jergal that embodied Eric Boyd's final thoughts about Jergal including an alternate theory regarding Jergal's motivations.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  05:48:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm unable to find this free pdf page, can you recall any specific keywords or provide a link please, Gray? More lore about Jergal is always welcome.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  10:26:53  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the link: http://paizo.com/dungeonissues/130/DA130_Supplement_H.pdf
Here is the page with all the Dungeon web enhancements: http://paizo.com/dungeon/resources/downloads
Starting to download now

Cheers to Gray for pointing this out!

Edited by - Thieran on 09 Sep 2011 10:35:31
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  10:34:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Thieran.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  12:03:55  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always found the history of the Dead Three one of the msot intriguing in the Realms though, sadly, I just know of them for the tome you find in Baldur's Gate. Where could I find some more info of them, specially the one related to Jergal and Myrkul?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  12:52:20  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would anyone aside from me be interested in a book or trilogy about the three? Obviously we would know how it would end but I think that it has a lot of potential. Then again any story can be good as long as it is told right.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  14:28:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Light

Would anyone aside from me be interested in a book or trilogy about the three? Obviously we would know how it would end but I think that it has a lot of potential. Then again any story can be good as long as it is told right.

Of course! Though i am not sure what kind of plot line would work here.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  15:51:56  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Well I was meaning a story about their rise to divinity so I guess that would be the plot line...or am I misinterpreting your meaning here? It could detail their struggles as mortals and delve into their background, fears, wants and regrets that they had as mortals.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  16:18:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Well I was meaning a story about their rise to divinity so I guess that would be the plot line...or am I misinterpreting your meaning here? It could detail their struggles as mortals and delve into their background, fears, wants and regrets that they had as mortals.

Given the right author, a rise to divinity story would be great.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000