Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What FR product do you wish had been written?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  04:16:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer going the other way. Viewing the Realms through a microscope and recording every triviality in canonized stone leaves absolutely no room for authors, DMs, and players to create or change anything. I personally feel that areas of the Realms which are already detailed down to every speck of dirt (say, Waterdeep) are stagnant and disinteresting and even intimidating to involve; to me such places are more like a simulation of a world created from disjointed high-resolution snapshots then an organic world which flows along a natural course. I want the world to be a place full of things I can touch and move around (and even break), not a museum full of precious facts and reconstructions.

[Edit: Besides, all that extra paperwork is really unnecessary. Packrats have a lot of junk which detracts value from the treasures.]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Sep 2011 04:30:20
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  04:45:09  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lot of great ideas here. I'd like to add:

An Ascension series detailing the mortal lives of various Gods like Azuth and the Red Bishop.

A series detailing the times when Giants and Dragons ruled/struggled for dominance.

A series about the famous adventuring party, the Nine.

A series about the BloodStone Heroes that took out Orcus.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  05:25:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

-Even though it isn't as common as magic, something detailing psionics in the Realms would be nice. Maybe focusing on Jhaamdath and the Vilhon Reach from the early days of Jhaamdath through to the present.

I second that. It would be nice to see a little background of Auppenser before and after the fall of Jhaamdath.

I'm assuming you've not read the Candlekeep-exclusive series Lost Empires of Faerûn - Enhancements presented by Ed Bonny?

I had, at least some parts of it. What I would like to see is an in-depth look into what happened to him, perhaps even changing some established lore about his fate (because personally, I don't like what Mystra did to her).

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  17:16:23  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got so sick of asking TSR/WiZBro...I ended up writing what I wanted myself............

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  21:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I have already done lots of work on this region (some of it posted here at Candlekeep), I would have to agree with Quale's 19. The Ride, Thar and the Tortured Lands. It's a great area, full of dead gods, ancient empires, lost civilizations and interestin g current culturers.

I'd also like to see one on the Ruins of Tethyamar. It could include a fair bit of the dwarven lore that Markustay wants, as well as 3-4 levels of the city that are close to the ground (i.e. the areas that adventurers would enter first). These maps would be best done Undermountain style - many more rooms on the map than are described in the text key, so that DM's have lots of room to play. Lower levels could be covered by just giving us some additional maps with material on the regions original purpose and suggestions of the monsters likely to be found there.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  06:34:59  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see something like "The Years of Blue Fire" - detailing the Sellplague and the century following it in greater detail, including campaign and adventure options along the way.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  06:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

I'd like to see something like "The Years of Blue Fire" - detailing the Sellplague and the century following it in greater detail, including campaign and adventure options along the way.

Good idea.

A Returned Abeir regional book would also be nice. All we have are a few pages in the FRCG and a handful of DDI articles.

Good news is there will be an update on Kara-Tur next month!
Link
Go to Top of Page

Fingal
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  21:24:23  Show Profile Send Fingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Arcane Age book about Delzoun would have been cool.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  02:04:20  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Border Kingdoms (although I know it is probably best to not detail them out, leaves more space for DMs)

2. A planar book, but focused Faerun, about outsider and alien influences and interests in the Realms, to quote Quale.

3. Lost cities of Faerun, to quote one more of the many good ideas that have been posted already.

4. Swampy Kingdoms, Sylvan Kingdoms and Sky Kingdoms... totally agree with that idea

5. Another book dedicated to Chult, Mezro, its Barae and possibly a war against Ras Nsi and his undead

6. A book about magic and technology, how they use magic in normal life. And about styles and traditions of magic

7. Ruins and Dungeons (Ascore, Castle Perilous, Palace of the Purple Emperor, Crypt of the Wondermakers, Hidden House, Holdfast, Temple of Splendor, Pelevaran, Old Illusk ...)

8. Dwarf Sourcebook

9. High Forest

10. Golden Water region

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  02:25:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shores of Dusk and Reclamation.

Mod Edit: Repaired the incorrect linkage.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Sep 2011 02:30:32
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  02:39:17  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- Reclamation
- Part II of Thornhold
- More novel stuff of the jordani and Mateo
- Prequel trilogy of the EC-Trilogy, featuring the Sojourner as the main character
- A trilogy about a few members of the Planewalker's Guild, featuring scenes on the Infinite Staircase
- Erevis Cale, Riven and Mags in Sigil

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  09:46:37  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmmmm, an interesting thread, and considering the hugeness of the Realms an almost endless supply of answers!
But first to Seethyr’s suggestions:

1. Aearee and Batrachi. Curious as I am about the Batrachi and the Aearee; their influence on the post ToT realms doesn’t seem to match that of the various reptilian peoples covered in ‘Serpent Kingdoms’. That being said, Gray Richardson’s work on the Aearee at Candlekeep is awesome and well worth checking out.
2. Maztica. I’m a big fan, and with a little development it could have been moved away from its rather explicit real world parallels into something more unique yet retaining a South American flavour. Seethyr’s Maztica project looks really interesting!
3. Other continents of Faerun – maybe, although with so much to cover in the established Realms to me it would have been too much of a sidetrack. Plus Osse is a ridiculous name for an Australian themed continent.
4. Langdharma – never heard of it.
5. Horde/Kara-tur update – certainly, and again, pull it away from the real world references.
6. Undersea Kingdoms – ‘Sea of Fallen Stars’ was a great sourcebook, but it would be interesting to hear something about Faerun’s other seas.
7. FR cosmology – personally I think all deity books covered it pretty well, and there’s always Planescape when it comes to venturing into the Realms of the gods themselves.
8. Chult – Hell yeah! Chult always seemed a fascinating but little explored place, and the more dinosaurs the better.
9. Race books – Hmmmm, quite a few good books already such as ‘Dwarves Deep’ and ‘Drow of the Underdark’. It would have been nice to make something a little more cohesive dealing with the surface elves of the Realms, there’s plenty of lore but its scattered all over the place (and let’s not forget Snowblood’s unofficial contributions). Would anyone be interested enough in gnomes and halflings? It would be curious to see more of Luirien – sometimes it feels like the Shire in a better climate, although there was also the ‘halflings are waiting to take over the world’ idea in some products.
10. More Arcane Age – absolutely, absolutely ... there’s so much great history explore, as A(y)rik mention and others mention.

Moving away from Seethyr’s suggestions - a number of regions in the core Realms have never been sufficiently covered. Chief among these would be Impiltur, Damara and Narfell, plus Sembia (I don’t think the 2nd edition concept of leaving it a blank slate really helped as it’s such an integral nation to the Heartlands). It would have been lovely to have seen these areas covered in the style of the excellent “Lands of Intrigue” books with all the in depth lore on history and culture. Some of the island nations were also underdeveloped, such as Ruathym, Lantan and Nelanther.

As others have mentioned, a proper Cormyr sourcebook would also be useful in pulling together a lot of disparate information.

More Volo’s Guides wouldn’t go amiss. It would be nice to see a Realms city that wasn’t Waterdeep detailed in depth; same goes for a dungeon that wasn’t Undermountain.

A really nice comic book series would be great, not dumbed down for the kids and not a needless ‘meet Drizzt and Elminster for no good reason’ affair, but a realistic account of a low-level adventuring band doing what they do .... although as Jordanz suggests, the adventures of the Nine would also be fun to hear about.

Although I prefer the 3e Realms, I think having made the 100 year time jump with all its accompanying changes, it’s a great shame WotC didn’t make more effort to expand upon all these new lands they created – and the old ones they changed so profoundly. Perhaps some of the anti 4e Realms feeling could be mitigated with the production of some excellent quality sourcebooks loaded with lore – making proper use of page space instead of unnecessarily large font and poor illustrations.

Finally, it’s nice to see so many scribes just going ahead and creating their own sourcebooks, perhaps one day WotC might be inclined to hand creative control of the Realms back to Ed and the fans – we might get a lot more toys to play with then.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  11:50:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Six stand-alone novels, Ed Greenwood Presents: Thay

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  21:21:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This would be fantastic!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  23:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would honestly like to see such a series for several places around the Realms.

-Cormyr. I know that a number of tales take place there, but (at least the ones I have read so far) are very Suzail/Noble/Obarskyr/Elminster centric. I want to see more of an in depth look at Suzail on the street level, or from the persepctive of a nobel that isn't trying to overthrow the crown. Maybe a tale of some War Wizards assigned to a border post or sent after something in another land (which kind of derails the Cormyr centric approach, but I think it could work).

-Imaskar. High and Low.

A book series like The Wizards or The Wilds, but called The Elemental Planes with each dedicated to one of the 4 Elemental Planes (and likely some crossover).

Not so much a written product (well, unless you count coding I guess), but I would love to have seen more for Neverwinter Nights 2. Eliminate the level cap and throw in some more areas. They already had chunks of the Sword Coast, Rasheman, the Plane of Shadow, and Chult. Throw in Cormyr, Thay (actually, I think part of Mask of the Betrayer takes place in Thay), and more of the Sword Coast (Luskan, Baldur's Gate, and Waterdeep). Maybe Shade and Sembia as well. Along with appropriate Character and Prestige Classes (since it's 3.5) and some more races and the modders could keep going for years and years and maybe build the entire continent.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  23:35:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

This would be fantastic!

And after that, Rashemen.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  23:41:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

- Prequel trilogy of the EC-Trilogy, featuring the Sojourner as the main character

That would be fantastic! The Sojourner always fascinates me.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  00:06:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the Sojourner was not Ed's invention, more specifically, a character created by PSK?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  00:28:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I thought the Sojourner was not Ed's invention, more specifically, a character created by PSK?

No and yes. He wasn't Ed's creation. Paul invented him. Have I said something that implied something else?

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Sep 2011 00:31:29
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  01:26:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the mistake was mine. I misread the context of your post.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2013 :  16:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish there was more 2nd edition material even though I am still collecting. I'd love Volo's Guide to the Vast, Volo's Guide to the Border Kingdoms etc. but most of all I'd love a boxed set campaign like 'Night Below' but specifically written to start up 1st level characters in the Realms and presenting a story dripping with classic lore as the PCs leveled to, say, 10, a story taking them through a few famous/interesting locales. A box full of handouts, maps and other goodies. Give me two copies please
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2013 :  17:31:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would also like to see a trilogy detailing the Blood War---how it started, who the players are, and how it ended.
Ha! Looks like my wish (at least part of it) about two years ago is going to be fulfilled with the advent of 5E.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000