Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Epic 6th Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  16:33:04  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I came across this a while back and thought very little of it but as I turn back to my 3E roots for campaigns and character ideas, this has instantly grown on me.

For those not familiar with the E6-design concept by Ryan Dancey, you can view it here: E6: The game Inside D&D

For those not wanting to read the rules, basically it's normal v3.5 but character stop advancing in levels past 6th. This is because it's the game's "sweet spot" in terms of balance, mechanics, and adaptation across the whole spectrum. It takes the perspective of the common man (human commoner 1 for example) and the pinnicle of magic or war tops out at about 6th level. Magic there after is often so "superhero-ish" that it starts to really defy logic and leaves those of mere-mortal status in the dust.

Character advancement after 6th level comes in the form of Feats. For every +5,000 XP you attain you gain another feat. 5 feats attained in this manner is equal to a level or CR increase. So, a 6th level party with say...5 extra feats could possibly take down a CR 11 and survive the encounter. Challenging creatures about this level takes more resources than are readily available and is more of a "mission, quest, adventure path" than a seemingly random encounter.

So, with that basis, who's done this before? My group is a little apprehensive since we've been doing 4E for a while and a drop/change in gaming attitude is going to be brand-new. My wife is NOT happy that her sorcerer isn't going to be casting powerful magics but what I think they need to see is that the whole world is playing by the same rules for class-design. Monster and other creatures going off of HD and CR are going to be a bit different yet those are special cases where it's less about "encounter" and more about "events" that are memorable. Trolls, no matter what level you are, should be scary creatures you have to deal with and Dragons should be terrifying beasts that make cities shake with terror. Neither of which HAVE to have CRs in the 15-20 range to be so.

Thoughts and ideas on the subject??

Edited by - Diffan on 05 Sep 2011 15:34:36

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  16:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is an interesting concept. Though I have read similar arguments for anywhere between level 6 and 16 being the "sweet spot."

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  17:15:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

It is an interesting concept. Though I have read similar arguments for anywhere between level 6 and 16 being the "sweet spot."

Agreed, and I think it boils down to individual groups and their expectations on power-level/power-creep. For myself, as I like to play melee-based characters, I know it gets a bit frustrating that my character can miss on all but 1 attack and deal pitiful damage at 15th level yet the wizard next to me casts one spell that reverses gravity and all the enemies are helpless as they float about in the room.

In an E6 campaign, the wizard's fireballs (dealing a max of 6d6) are very destructive and potent as it's one of the few spells that is super-destructive with the setting. Similarily, a fighters's two (or more) attacks can compare with the damage done from the fireball, making them both effective attacks.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  17:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having now read the whole article, it is something that I might want to try at some point. Also, I think that it would be a good system to use with kids, because I think it takes out a lot of the complexity of the d20 system.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  17:52:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Having now read the whole article, it is something that I might want to try at some point. Also, I think that it would be a good system to use with kids, because I think it takes out a lot of the complexity of the d20 system.

Definitly! I think it helps keep down the more infamous aspects of v3.5 such as Min/Maxing (it still happens, you can find threads for it) but I feel it keeps the balance between classes in the ball-park. Also, certain feats that were considered bad or poor choices aren't like that anymore. Toughness (while still regarded poor in E6) is prohably the only way to increase your HPs after 6th level. Skill Focus is also an important feat to increase your skills as they top-out at 9 ranks.

Then, as i delve further into the hombrew sections of E6 on the web, I find that they did something called [Capstone] and [Prestige] feats which allow more abilities from your class or abilities from Prestige Classes via feats. And of course, you can't take both capstone and PrC feats (it's gotta be one or the other). I really like this approach (sorta like MC feats from 4E) as it allows you to specialize in something special while not being a Munchkin in taking multiple PrCs etc..

Also, I think it keeps things in perspective by keeping masterwork actually "masterful to crate" and making magical items really inspiring. Flametongue for example is rather "meh" by mid-level standards and your either increasing the Enchancement bonus or you grab a superior weapon. But in an E6 campaign, it's a freakin' awesome sword. A blade that deals fire damage and shoots fire from it's blade is something to be in awe of, not pawned off at the magical shop for that better "+3 frost-burst keen battleaxe of throwing and returning".

Of course, there are just my own musings.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  18:14:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm going through the rules and I'm wondering if certain Pathfinder ideas would be good for this style of game. Firstly, I'm probably going to give spellcasters (At-Will) cantrips that also deal max-damage. So acid splash will deal 3 acid damage (as I really freakin' hate 1d3 with a hardcore passion). Additionally, I'm liking the familiar items idea and Sorcerer bloodlines (though your not going to get much in the way of advancement for only 6 levels).

Other ideas are the Races. I like having two +2 bonuses to one ability score and -2 penalty to one in lieu of what's presented in the 3e PHB. I'm planning on keeping the skills the same but allowing Cross-class ranks to equal your character level. That way, we don't have 4.5 ranks topping out and instead can have up to 6 ranks in the same fashion.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  18:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This inspired me to do some Googling for e6 and Pathfinder, and I found this blog entry which mentioned that e8 might work better for Pathfinder because many classes get a "capstone" ability at 8th level. I think I like the concept of 8 levels better than 6 anyway. Also, many of the feats in what I consider the Pathfinder core (Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Magic & Ultimate Combat) include feats that allow you t gain access to more class abilities (i.e. rage uses/day, rogue talents, et cetera), and I like the idea of the system even more with that. I also think that the classes are better balanced for Pathfinder, which would lend itself to even more fun with this system.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 31 Aug 2011 18:28:59
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  19:05:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This inspired me to do some Googling for e6 and Pathfinder, and I found this blog entry which mentioned that e8 might work better for Pathfinder because many classes get a "capstone" ability at 8th level. I think I like the concept of 8 levels better than 6 anyway. Also, many of the feats in what I consider the Pathfinder core (Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Magic & Ultimate Combat) include feats that allow you t gain access to more class abilities (i.e. rage uses/day, rogue talents, et cetera), and I like the idea of the system even more with that. I also think that the classes are better balanced for Pathfinder, which would lend itself to even more fun with this system.

Hmmm, some pretty valid points. The article suggests that if one runs v3.5 then E6 is preferrable while if one goes Pathfinder, then E8 is better overall. I think i might do a bit of hybrid-ization to the system. Since it's 90% v3.5 then I'll stick to E6 yet some classes that really get the stick (aka Sorcerer) will probably get bonus feats in the form of [Heritage Feats] from Complete Arcana and Complete Mage at 1st and 5th level. Also, i'm gonna keep the cantrip/orisons as At-Will spells.

Still, I'll run it past the group and see if they'll prefer straight Pathfinder or v3.5.

And thanks for the link Hawkins!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  19:07:12  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would, with Pathfinder, possibly do E7 or E8(though I think E8 takes away from Full BAB classes being the only ones to get multiple attacks) but not allow 4th level spells. Rather the spell slots at 4th level would be open for 1st-3rd spells altered with Metamagic. I would still leave open the possibility of higher level spells as special, semi-unique rituals but the highest spells a caster could manage on their own without special conditions would be 3rd level spells.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  14:03:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

I would, with Pathfinder, possibly do E7 or E8(though I think E8 takes away from Full BAB classes being the only ones to get multiple attacks) but not allow 4th level spells. Rather the spell slots at 4th level would be open for 1st-3rd spells altered with Metamagic. I would still leave open the possibility of higher level spells as special, semi-unique rituals but the highest spells a caster could manage on their own without special conditions would be 3rd level spells.

Hmmm, I was thinking of treating 4th level spells like Epic spells, things that require lots of work/gold/Exp to pull off. Some spells can be converted into Capstone feats like Restoration for the cleric, Summon Nature's Ally IX for Druids, and so forth. Knowing that these are options at later levels should give people some additional incentive to stay within their base class for all 6 levels as Capstone feats require you to be a full-class such as Cleric 6, Druid 6, etc..

On the opposite side of that are Prestige Feats, which have prerequisites like normal Prestige Classes. However, you can gain the PrC's abilities through feats and so forth. You cannot, however, take multiple PrC feats NOR Capstone feats.

The only problem I've come across is how diverse or focused these Prestige Feats are in scope. Some homebrew sites give only two Feats per Prestige Classes with the best of the ability being taken of the class. The E6 Wiki has the first 5 PrC from the DMG and they have four to five PrC feats per Prestige Class. So would it be better to keep it simple (1 to 3 feats) or have a whole feat tree (5 to 6)? On one hand, I like the simplicity of the 1 to 3 feat spread, gaining the best of the PrC's abilities while remaining true to your "build" and the options of taking other feats. But on the other, some PrC's have so many class features that encompass what the PrC is ideally supposed to be that it's hard to fit it into the 1 to 3 feat ratio.

What a quandry....
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  17:48:24  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I tried E6, long time ago before starting with a classless system, I remember my greedy players going with a warforged artificer, a mystic ranger, ghaele from Savage Species and a Nobanion paladin from Champions of Valor. No system is safe ;)

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  08:58:09  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

warforged

lies, it was a weak fallen quesar with warforged stats (some) who couldn't repair itself

E6 I like the idea of 4th level spells as epic or even more higher level that don't break or could be weakened. The same way with the martial disciplines for warriors. Maybe a spell point system?

Edited by - Quale on 03 Sep 2011 08:58:32
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  11:08:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

When I tried E6, long time ago before starting with a classless system, I remember my greedy players going with a warforged artificer, a mystic ranger, ghaele from Savage Species and a Nobanion paladin from Champions of Valor. No system is safe ;)

Hmmm well those races seem a bit powerful to me so I'm not sure I'd allow Ghaele. But races with +1 Level Adjustment are only going to receive 25 points for the point-buy AND they'll only reach 5th level of their intended class, which in an E6 game is pretty crucial IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  15:33:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I figured the best bet were to have more options but limit the amount they could choose if they went with a PrC feat. So basically each Prestige feat will have an Entry feat and another 4 to 5 feats for that Prestige Feat tree. However, once they select the Entry feat, they'll only have the option to take up to 3 feats (out of 4 or 5).

Hopefully the feats benefits are all compelling to make it difficult for the PCs to choose so there are no clear-cut decision. Maybe I should post the ones I'm converting for other player's uses?

BTW the campaign starts tonight and only 2 players have characters ready.
Half-Elf Sorceress (my wife's character)
Elf Fighter (dual-wield whip/elven thinblade)

EDIT:
The other 3 characters are:
Gnomish Wizard
Dwarven Cleric of Moradin
Human Scout

Edited by - Diffan on 11 Sep 2011 05:56:35
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  13:37:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cumulative effect of these changes seems to basically nerf away higher level spellcasters more than any other class. Warriors and rogues still get all the skills they need to pound or stab things while the wizards and priests lose out on all of their high-level dreams. If the in-game argument is made that "epic level" magics require a sort of serious lifestyle which isn't compatible with adventuring then what motivates the spellcaster to keep following adventure instead following the magic? Really, the same applies to any class, why do the PCs continue adventuring instead of retiring or progressing to the next logical stage or station in their professions?

I'll admit that topping spells off at 3rd or 4th or 5th level has merits, it forces the perspective of the game to stay lower to the ground where things are gritty and immediate. But it also denies access to the next tier where excitement and heroism is kicked up a notch. Nobody wants to be low level forever.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  18:59:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The cumulative effect of these changes seems to basically nerf away higher level spellcasters more than any other class. Warriors and rogues still get all the skills they need to pound or stab things while the wizards and priests lose out on all of their high-level dreams. If the in-game argument is made that "epic level" magics require a sort of serious lifestyle which isn't compatible with adventuring then what motivates the spellcaster to keep following adventure instead following the magic? Really, the same applies to any class, why do the PCs continue adventuring instead of retiring or progressing to the next logical stage or station in their professions?

I'll admit that topping spells off at 3rd or 4th or 5th level has merits, it forces the perspective of the game to stay lower to the ground where things are gritty and immediate. But it also denies access to the next tier where excitement and heroism is kicked up a notch. Nobody wants to be low level forever.

You have to realize that the entire world is playing by these rules as the PCs are. NPCs and other humanoid races will only advance to about 6 HD or 6 levels. So the Wizard's fireball is dealing up to 6d6 (maximized to 36 damage) and that's probably over half of a level 6 character's total HP.

In the cases of non-leveled people, a 6th level wizard can pretty much lay waste to whole villages for a few spells. That's powerful. However, commoners have the equipment to still defend against such a creature because of wizard's lowly HP.

It keeps things in perspective of the world itself and of the perspective of the common man. People who are average, which makes up I'd say 60% to 75% of the world's total humanoid population, aren't so overshadowed by "adventurers, mages, holier-than-though clerics, etc.."

Also, if you've not noticed about 80% of the Monster Maual fall into the CR 1 to CR 12 range (which is where this style of game plays to) and thus most of the stuff is applicable through out the adventurer's career. I'm of the opinion that people should be afraid of Trolls, period. But by level 10, 11, etc.. they're a minor inconvience. Nothing more than a quick skirmish in which you can wade through their ranks in no time.

Finally, it's about time for my group to be a little less reliant on magic. At high levels of play it's a bit disheartening for a fighter to make 5 attacks (hit 3 of them and deal less than moderate damage) and then the wizard just walks over and uses Glasstrike (*Tink* "Your now Glass, have a nice day!"). In this style of game, there are additional feats (called Epic feats) which allow wizards the ability to apply Meta-magic feats to their spells, like Quicken Spell for example, even when they don't have the spell levels to actually do so. Also, additional Epic Feats allow them to gain a smittance of 4th level spells to add to their spell list.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  15:30:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my extended list of Capstone feats for the PHB classes (Part 1).

Capstone Feats
- May only be taken with Epic feats (an Epic feat is any feat taken after gaining 6th level (or ECL 6th).
- You must have all 6 levels of the appropriate class to take the feat or an ECL of 6 with levels of one singular class.
- You must be 6th level (or ECL 6th) +5 feats to take Veteran feats and you must have the normal Capstone feat for the class
- You must be 6th level (or ECL 6th) +10 feats to take Epic feats and you must have the normal Capstone feat for the class
- You may not take a Capstone feat if you have taken a Prestige feat

• BARBARIC RESILIENCE [BARBARIAN CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain DR 1/–

• VETERAN BARBARIAN [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain 1 more point of Damage Reduction.

EPIC BARBARIAN [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain the Tireless Rage class feature.

• COURAGEOUS INSPIRATION [BARD CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    The bonus granted by your inspire courage ability increases to +2.

• VETERAN BARD [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    If you have 9 ranks in Perform you gain (and can use) the Inspire Greatness Special Ability.

EPIC BARD [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You may select one Bard spell of 3rd level. You can cast that spell once per day. From this point forward, you may use the Epic Spell feat to learn 3rd level Bard spells. These spells are still only used as Bonus spells from a high Charisma score.

• DIVINITY'S TOUCH [CLERIC CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You can cast either Cure Critical Wounds 1/day if you spontaneously cast Cure spells or Inflict Critical Wounds 1/day if you spontaneously cast Inflict spells.

• VETERAN CLERIC [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain an additional domain chosen as normal from your deity's domain list.

EPIC CLERIC [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Choose one 4th level cleric spell and one domain spell of a domain you know. You may prepare both of those spell once per day.

• CALL TO THE WILD [DRUID CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You may cast Summon Nature's Ally IV 1/day.

• VETERAN DRUID [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You are treated as being 2 levels higher for the purpose of choosing an Animal Companion.

EPIC DRUID [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain the ability to Wild Shape into Large animals.

• SEASONED SOLDIER [FIGHTER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You may select feats with a requirement of up to Fighter level 8, and with a Base Attack Bonus requirement of up to +8. In addition, choose a feat for which you meet the prerequisites for.

• VETERAN FIGHTER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    If you have the Weapon Specialization feat you gain the Greater Weapon Specialization feat. Otherwise, you gain the Weapon Specialization feat.

EPIC FIGHTER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You ignore armor check penalties and speed restrictions with armor and shields you are proficient with. In addition, you may add your Strength modifier to your Intimidation rolls.

• EXCELLING FLURRY [MONK CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You use Flurry of Blows with no penalty to your attack bonus and your unarmed damage increases to 1d10.

• VETERAN MONK [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain an additional attack when you use your Flurry of Blows ability, granting you a total of 3 attacks during a full-round action. This extra attack is made with a -5 penalty.

EPIC MONK [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain the Diamond Soul ability.

Edited by - Diffan on 17 Dec 2014 00:55:00
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  15:32:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here's Part 2!

• HOLY STRIKES [PALADIN CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your melee attacks ignore the damage reduction against evil aligned creatures unless the damage reduction cannot be overcome by any weapon (like this: /–).

• VETERAN PALADIN [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You are treated as being 4 levels higher for the purposes of dealing smite damage.

EPIC PALADIN [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your spell progression now looks like this: 1/0, granting you bonus 2nd level paladin spells so long as you have a high enough Charisma score to cast 2nd level bonus spells.

• STEP OF THE WILD LANDS [RANGER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain the Woodland Stride and Swift Tracking class abilities.

• VETERAN RANGER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain a 3rd Favored Enemy and may apply a further +2 bonus to one of your existing Favored Enemies or the one just selected.

EPIC RANGER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You are treated as having 6 levels of ranger for the purpose of your Animal Companion’s abilities and choosing one from the Druid’s list.

• ROGUISH ABILITY [ROGUE CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You learn one rogue special ability.

• VETERAN ROGUE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Sneak Attack +1d6

EPIC ROGUE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain the Hide in Plain Sight ability.

• ARCANE MIGHT [SORCERER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    When you cast a spell that deals hit point damage, you may add your Charisma modifier to the amount of damage dealt. This damage can only be applied once per spell.

• VETERAN SORCERER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain an additional spell known at any level of which you can already cast.

EPIC SORCERER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Choose a 4th level arcane spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. You may use that spell 2/day.

• MASTER OF MAGIC [WIZARD CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Choose a metamagic feat. You may prepare one spell per day with the feat while raising the spell level slot by 2 less than normal. If the feat only raises the spell slot by one level normally, you may prepare 2 spells per day in this way instead.

• VETERAN WIZARD [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You may choose another metamagic feat to be used in the same way as the Wizard Capstone feat.

EPIC WIZARD [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Choose two 4th level arcane spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. You may prepare and cast one of those spells per day.

Edited by - Diffan on 17 Dec 2014 00:57:04
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2011 :  17:10:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some additional Capstone feats:

Complete Warrior

• DARK CURSE [HEXBLADE CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the Greater Curse class feature and you can curse one additional time per day.

• VETERAN HEXBLADE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your spellcasting progression increases to 1/0, allowing you to cast bonus spells. You know two 2nd level spells from the Hexblade's spell list.

EPIC HEXBLADE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your caster level equals your character level. In addition, you gain the Aura of Unluck class feature and can use it 2/day.

• DEADLY DUELIST [SWASHBUCKLER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the Acrobatic Charge class feature.

• VETERAN SWASHBUCKLER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your Grace and Dodge bonuses increase to +2.

EPIC SWASHBUCKLER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the "Lucky" class feature.

Complete Adventurer

• DEADLY SKIRMISHER [SCOUT CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your skirmish damage and bonus to AC incrase by one to become +3d6, +2 AC.

• VETERAN SCOUT [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: From now on, you qualify for feats with a requirement of up to +6 BAB. In addition, select a feat for which you meet the requirements for.

EPIC SCOUT [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the Hide in Plain Sight ability.

• GHOST BLADE [NINJA CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain the ghost strike class feature. In addition, you gain an additional use of your Ki power.

• VETERAN NINJA [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your sudden strike increases +1d6.

EPIC NINJA [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You become ethereal when you use your Ghost Step power.

Edited by - Diffan on 17 Dec 2014 00:59:13
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  05:44:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a few others....

Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords

• TESTED FAITH [CRUSADER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your Steely Resolve increases to 15, allowing your Furious Counterstrike ability to reach a +3 bonus.

• VETERAN CRUSADER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your crusader level is treated as 4 levels higher for the purposes of dealing your smite damage.

EPIC CRUSADER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Select a 4th level maneuver and a 3rd level stance. You initiate that maneuver as normal and regain it with the normal methods of recovery. You must still meet the prerequisites for obtaining these maneuvers and stances.

• BLADE MYSTIC [SWORDSAGE CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the Sense Magic class feature and you treat your level as 2 higher for the purposes of determining the magical properties of any item you study.

• VETERAN SWORDSAGE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your Quick to Act class feature increases to +3 and you gain the Evasion ability.

EPIC SWORDSAGE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Choose two 4th level maneuvers. You gain one additional maneuver readied per encounter. You can initiate these new maneuvers and regain it with the normal methods of recovery. You must still meet the prerequisites for obtaining these maneuvers.

• VENGEFUL WARRIOR [WARBLADE CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the Battle Cunning (damage) class feature.

• VETERAN WARBLADE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the Battle Skill (opposed checks) class feature.

EPIC WARBLADE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Select a 4th level maneuver and a 3rd level stance. You initiate that maneuver as normal and regain it with the normal methods of recovery. You must still meet the prerequisites for obtaining these maneuvers or stances.

Edited by - Diffan on 17 Dec 2014 00:59:55
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  16:45:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Arcane

• INFERNAL RESILIENCE [WARLOCK CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your damage reduction increases to 2/cold iron.

• VETERAN WARLOCK [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your eldritch blast increases to 4d6.

EPIC WARLOCK [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain one Greater Invocation.

• ARCANE DESTRUCTION [WARMAGE CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the Extra Edge feat. In addition, you treat your warmage level as 2 higher for the purposes of determining the extra damage dealt from your spells.

• VETERAN WARMAGE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain proficiency with medium armor and your armored mage benefit now applies to medium armor.

EPIC WARMAGE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Spellcasting while being threatened does not provoke attacks of opportuinity.

Edited by - Diffan on 17 Dec 2014 01:00:35
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  12:31:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So.....thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Any class people might want to see Capstone feats for or Prestige feats from a specific Prestige class?

Also, any suggestions on how to incorporate Legacy Weapons into an E6 Campaign? Most of them level from 5th to 20th in scope, so trying to knock down the benefits over 15 levels to 6 is pretty intense. And over that career, you get hit on Saves, BAB, and HPs. Those sorts of penalties can really be damaging to an E6 character. So I'm all ears in trying to balance those mechanics out.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  06:28:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to run an Epic 6 game in Cormyr. Or an Epic 8(Pathfinder) game.

Have the PC's start to conquer the Stonelands. Vangey, Rogue Wizards of War, Rogue Highknights, Zhents, Cult of the Dragon, and others attempt to infiltrate the group via followers. Just sounds fun, fun, fun...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  14:27:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I would love to run an Epic 6 game in Cormyr. Or an Epic 8(Pathfinder) game.

Have the PC's start to conquer the Stonelands. Vangey, Rogue Wizards of War, Rogue Highknights, Zhents, Cult of the Dragon, and others attempt to infiltrate the group via followers. Just sounds fun, fun, fun...

That's a really cool idea. I'd be interested to see what Vangey's stats would be via E6 (E8 for Pathfinder), what spells he'd have and what, if any, Prestige Feats he might take. Hmmm.....looks like I'll need to do some write ups of the Purple Dragon Knight Prestige Feats and the War Wizards of Cormyr Prestige Feats....
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  04:59:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Player's Handbook 2

• PHANTOM PRODIGY [BEGUILER CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Add a new spell to your spell list. This spell must be a sorcerer/wizard spell of 3rd level or lower from the illusion, enchantment, or necromancy school. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus to overcome creature’s Spell Resistance when effected by your Cloaked Casting feature.

• VETERAN BEGUILER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: Your DC increases to +2 when you cast a spell with your Cloaked Casting feature.

EPIC BEGUILER [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: When casting a spell using your Cloaked Casting feature, you may apply any meta-magic feat you know to the spell with no increase to casting time. In addition, the higher spell-slot requirement is reduced by 1.

• DRAGON MYSTIC [DRAGON SHAMAN CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain one additional Draconic aura of your choice. You also gain a +1 bonus to your natural armor.

• VETERAN DRAGON SHAMAN [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your draconic aura increases to +3 or your breath weapon deals 4d6 damage. Once selected, the choice cannot be changed.

EPIC DRAGON SHAMAN [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You gain the ability to remove conditions with your Touch of Vitality feature. You also receive energy immunity from the type of breath weapon you selected.

• DUSKBLADE ADEPT [DUSKBLADE CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Your armored mage feature now includes heavy shields. In addition, gain an additional spell known of 2nd level or lower chosen from your duskblade spell list.
    Special: If you’ve chosen the Bladesinger substitution levels, instead you gain the Bladesong Flurry feature and gain an additional spell known of 2nd level or lower chosen from your duskblade spell list.

• VETERAN DUSKBLADE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    You can use your Quick Cast feature 2/day.

EPIC DUSKBLADE [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit:
    Choose one 3rd level spell from your duskblade spell list, you can cast that twice per day. In addition, your Spell Power increases to +3.

(homebrew knight class, full description found HERE)
  • QUESTING CHAMPION [KNIGHT CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain another feature of your Knight’s Calling ability. If you’ve chosen Cavalier, you reduce your Ride check DC by 5 and ignore armor check penalties while mounted. If you’ve chosen Vigilant Defender, you ignore your armor check penalty with any shield you wield and an ally you are adjacent to may receive a +1 shield bonus to their AC (this bonus stack with any shield bonus already present).

• VETERAN KNIGHT [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You ignore the speed restrictions for heavy armor and medium armor can use the Daunting Challenge feature (see Knight’s Challenge).

EPIC KNIGHT [CAPSTONE]
    Benefit: You gain the final feature of your Knight’s Calling ability. If you’ve chosen Cavalier, you gain the services of a powerful warhorse. This ability functions like the Druid’s Animal Companion ability, except that the Knight’s effective druid level is one-half his knight level. If you’ve chosen Vigilant Defender, the bonus adjacent allies receive from your shield increases to +2 and you gain DR 2/– .

Edited by - Diffan on 17 Dec 2014 01:15:33
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  09:28:09  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll start out by saying that I think this is a great idea. This looks to be a boon to any DM, and all players who don't want to be continually dinking around with reams of paper for a single character.

That said, I looked for how this would affect Prestige classes, and did not see anything specifically addressing the issue. I'm not saying it isn't there, just that I didn't see it, and in fact this would hardly be the first time that the obvious escaped me completely.

Regardless, I'm going to link the page to my players and get their opinion. I might stop at a later level, such as 10th or 12th, but the idea at its base concept is quite appealing.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  10:39:31  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Google E6 D&D. It should give you useful links. I know Giant in the Play Ground had some great threads on EPIC 6.

Usually Prestige Classes are turned into a feat trees.

Look thru a Monster Manual and see how many monsters are between CR 6 and 10. Around 70%. In E6 those monsters are usable for along, long time.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 20 Feb 2012 11:09:49
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  15:14:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone has the right of it, the range of monsters useful to an E6 game is about 70%, but even the ones that don't fit in the range can still be "overcome", just with a whole lot more plotting and involement of special, 1-time effects.

As for Prestige Classes, they're done like Capstone feats. I converted 4 from the DMG (Dwarven Defender, Dragon Disciple, Eldritch Knight, and Shadowdancer). I gave them all 1 entry feat (able to be taken as your first post-level 6 feat or at 20,000 XP) and then you can choose 3 more for various effects that are related to that class. When I get a chance, I'll post the 4 I have as well.

EDIT: Guess I should have mentioned that the restrictions I place on Prestige feats is that you can only have 4 total and you can only have 1 feat tree. THis means that you can't take multiple Prestige Feats from various sources, just from One. And from that one, you must select the Entry feat and then 3 more. Two of them require a more thorough advancement, such as the requirment of 5 and 10 epic feats. The strongest class feature also requires a pre-req feat other than the Entry one. This is all so that people just don't cherry pick the best features.

Edited by - Diffan on 10 Mar 2012 19:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  17:28:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DMG Prestige Class Feats

• ARCANE ARCHER

• Arcane Arrows [Prestige, Entry]
    Prerequisite:
    Character level 6th or ECL 6th; Elf or half-elf; base attack +5; point blank shot, precise shot, weapon focus (bows [short or long]); must be able to cast 1st level arcane spells.
    Benefit: Any non-magical arrow you knock and let fly gains a +1 enhancement bonus. If you have 4 prestige feats, your enhancement bonus increases to +2.

Imbue Arrow [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Arcane Arrow
    Benefit: You can place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell’s area is centered on where the arrow lands, even if the spell could only be centered on the caster. You use the bow’s range instead of the spell’s range. The ability takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow.

Seeker Arrow [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Arcane Arrow
    Benefit: Once per day, the arcane archer may fire an arrow within range that flies unerringly towards a target known by him, bypassing any concealment and even around corners. Only an unavoidable obstacle or the arrow’s range can prevent the arrow’s flight.

Phase Arrow [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Arcane Arrow
    Benefit: Once per encounter, you can launch an arrow at a target known to you within range, and the arrow travels to the target in a straight path, passing through any non-magical barrier or wall in its way. This negates cover and concealment but otherwise acts normally.

Hail of Arrows [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Arcane Arrow, 5 epic feats
    Benefit: In lieu of regular attacks, once per day you can fire an arrow at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every Prestige feat you possess +2. Each attack uses your primary attack bonus and each enemy may only be targeted by a single arrow.

Arrow of Death [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Arcane Arrow, Phase Arrow, 10 epic feats
    Benefit: You can make an arrow of death that forces the target, if damaged by the arrow’s attack, to make a Fort DC 20 save or be slain immediately. It takes one full day to make an arrow of death and you can only have one arrow of death at a time. This arrow only functions for you.

• ASSASSIN

• Practiced Killer [Prestige, Entry]
    Prerequisite:
    Charter level 6th or ECL 6th; Disguise 4 ranks, Hide 9 ranks, Move Silently 9 ranks
    Optional: Alignment: Evil; Must have killed a person for no other reason than to join the assassins
    Benefit: You gain the Poison Use ability and a bonus to saving throws against poison equal to 1 + the number of Prestige feats you possess. In addition, you gain a +5 circumstance bonus when using the Craft (poison making) skill.

Death Incarnate [Prestige]
    Prerequisites:
    Practiced Killer
    Benefit: You gain the Death Attack class feature. The Fortitude save against your death attacks are (DC 12 + the number of Prestige feats + the assassin’s Int modifier).

Shadowy Resilience [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Practiced Killer
    Benefit: You gain the Uncanny Dodge class feature. If you already possess the ability, you instead gain the Improved Uncanny Dodge class feature.

Dark Talent [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Practiced Killer
    Benefit: You can cast assassin spells. You have 0 1st level assassin spells per day but may gain additional uses through bonus spells. In addition, you gain the knowledge of 3 Assassin spells of your choice. An assassin must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so an assassin with a Intelligence of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells.

Death’s Hand [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Practiced Killer, 5 epic feats
    Benefit: You gain sneak attack +2d6.

Master Assassin [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Practiced Killer, Death Incarnate, 10 epic feats
    Benefit: You gain the ability to hide in plain sight. In addition, if you took the Dark Talent feat, your spells per day now looks like this 2/0, granting you the ability to cast 2nd level assassin spells. You know two 2nd level assassin spells of your choice.

• BLACKGUARD

• Tainted Faith [Prestige, Entry]:
    Prerequisites:
    Character level 6th or ECL 6th; base attack +6; Hide +4, Knowledge (religion) +2, Cleave, Improved Sunder, Power Attack feats
    Optional: Any evil alignment; must have made peaceful contact with an evil outsider who was summoned by him or someone else.
    Benefit: You can detect good at will and gain the Poison Use ability.

Blackguard Tactics [Prestige]
    Prerequisites:
    Tainted Faith
    Benefit: You can smite good 1/day and the damage dealt equals your effective Hit Die.

Dark Commander [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Tainted Faith
    Benefit: You gain the Command Undead ability. You command undead as would a cleric of equal level.

Dreadful Might [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Tainted Faith
    Benefit: You gain the Dark Blessing and Aura of Despair class features.

Blackguard Blade [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Tainted Faith, 5 Epic feats
    Benefit: You gain sneak attack +2d6 and can cast blackguard spells. You have 0 1st level blackguard spells per day but may gain additional uses through bonus spells. A blackguard must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so a blackguard with a Wisdom of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells.

Dark Lord [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Tainted Faith, Blackguard Tactics, 10 Epic feats
    Benefits: You gain a fiendish servant and it’s abilities fall under the 12th or lower character level chart. In addition, if you have the Blackguard Blade feat, your spells per day now look like this 1/0, granting you bonus 2nd level spells.

• DRAGON DISCIPLE

• Dragon Disciple Training [Prestige, Entry]:
    Prerequisites:
    Character level 6th or ECL 6th; Any non-dragon (including half-dragons); Knowledge (arcane) 8 ranks; Able to spontaneously cast arcane spells; Speak Draconic; Choose a dragon-type when selecting this feat, once selected it cannot be changed.
    Benefit: You gain a breath weapon attack that deals 2d8 damage. The damage type and area are determined by your dragon choice (see below):

Dragon Variety/Breath Weapon Chart

Draconic Transformation [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Dragon Disciple Training
    Benefit: You gain an Ability boost of Strength +1 and Constitution +1.

Draconic Armament Training [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Dragon Disciple Training
    Benefit: You gain a natural claw and bite attack that deals damage appropriate for your size. In addition, you gain a +1 natural armor bonus.

Draconic Perception [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Dragon Disciple Training
    Benefit: You gain Blindsense 30 ft.

Spell Training [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Dragon Disciple Training, 5 Epic Feats
    Benefit: You gain one additional spell slot or spell known from any level you can cast up to 3rd level.

Greater Draconic Transformation [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Dragon Disciple Training, Draconic Transformation, 10 Epic Feats
    Benefit: You gain an additional +1 to your Strength and Constitution scores. You also grow wings and gain a fly speed of 40 feet (good maneuverability).

• DUELIST

• Sly Guard [Prestige, Entry]
    Prerequisite:
    Character level 6th or ECL 6th; Base Attack +5; Perform (dance) 3 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks; Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse
    Benefit: While wearing light or no armor and not using a shield, you may add 1 point of Intelligence bonus (if any) per Prestige feat to your Dexterity bonus to modify your Armor Class while wielding a melee weapon. If your caught flat-footed or otherwise denied your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, you lose the benefits of this feat as well.

Tumbling Stride [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Sly Guard
    Benefit: While wearing light or no armor and not using a shield, you gain an additional +4 bonus to your Armor Class against attacks of opportunity. When using your tumble skill, if you beat any check by 5 or more, you may move an additional 10 feet.

Graceful Dance [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Sly Guard
    Benefit: While wearing light or no armor and not using a shield, you add a +2 competence bonus to your Reflex saves. If you have a class feature that already grants this bonus (Swashbuckler, Complete Warrior for example) then the bonus stacks.

Precise Strike [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Sly Guard
    Benefit: When you make an attack against a creature that is denied it’s Dexterity bonus to it’s Armor Class or if your flanking the creature, you deal an extra +1d6 damage with your attack. This ability stacks with any other precision-based attack such as Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike. In addition, you may add one-half your Dexterity modifier to the damage roll when performing a Precise Strike.

Acrobatic Charge [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Sly Guard, 5 epic feats
    Benefit: When charging, you may ignore difficult terrain that impedes movement. Additionally, when charging you may apply the effects of any precision based damage regardless if the creature is denied it’s Dexterity bonus or if you’re flanking the creature.

Elaborate Parry [Prestige]
    Prerequisites:
    Graceful Dance, Sly Guard, 10 epic feats
    Benefit: Once per encounter, when a creature attacks you with a weapon-based attack or ray, you may immediately make a Reflex save (DC 12 + creature’s ability modifier for the attack). If you succeed, the attack is negated. You may only make this save once the attack roll is declared but before a critical hit can be confirmed.

• DWARVEN DEFENDER

• Dwarven Defender Training [Prestige, Entry]:
    Prerequisite:
    Character level 6th or ECL 6th, Dwarf; Any lawful alignment; Dodge, Endurance, and Toughness.
    Benefit: You can use the Defense Stance ability 2/day.

Dwarven Reflexes [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Dwarven Defender Training.
    Benefit: You gain the Uncanny Dodge feature.

Dwarven Resilience [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Benefit: You gain DR 2/–

Trapsmith Training [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Benefit: You gain Trap Sense +2

Shifting Stance Training [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Dwarven Defender Training, 5 Epic Feats
    Benefit: You gain the Mobile Defense ability.

Greater Dwarven Resilience [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Dwarven Defender Training, Dwarven Resilience feat, 10 Epic Feats
    Benefit: You gain DR 4/–

• ELDRITCH KNIGHT

• Eldritch Knight Training [Prestige, Entry]:
    Prerequisites:
    Effective character level 6th, Base Attack +4; Must be able to cast 2nd level arcane spells
    Benefit: The Spell Failure Chance of armor you wear is reduced by 20%.

Eldritch Knight Blade-Form [Prestige]:
    Prerequisites:
    Eldritch Knight Training
    Benefit: You increase your Base Attack Bonus by +1.

Eldritch Knight Knowledge [Prestige]:
    Prerequisites:
    Eldritch Knight Training
    Benefit: Your caster level is now treated as 6th level for spell effects and duration. This does not count towards higher level spell progression. In addition, you may learn one additional spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. This spell cannot exceed the level of your highest spell known.

Eldritch Knight Advancement [Prestige]:
    Prerequisites:
    Eldritch Knight Training
    Benefit: You gain an additional spell slot to cast another 2nd or 1st level spell.

Armored Eldritch Proficiency [Prestige]:
    Prerequisites:
    Eldritch Knight Training, 5 Epic Feats
    Benefit: You ignore the spell failure check for any armor you are proficient with.

Master Eldritch Knight [Prestige]:
    Prerequisites:
    Eldritch Knight Training, Eldritch Knight Knowledge, 10 epic feats.
    Benefit: You may sacrifice a spell or spell slot of an appropriate level and add that level’s bonus to your melee attack and damage rolls. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to the sacrificed spell’s level.

• MYSTIC THEURGE

• Magical Might [Prestige, Entry]
    Prerequisite:
    Character level 6th or ECL of 6th. Must be able to cast both 2nd level arcane and divine spells; Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks
    Benefit: Your caster-level for your arcane and divine spells equals your Hit Die. This increase only affects spells level-dependant variables but does not grant extra spells per day from that respective class.

Keen Divinity [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Magical Might, Turn/Rebuke Undead
    Benefit: You increase the level of your turn/rebuke undead to equal your Hit Die. In addition, any level-based effect granted by your domain powers also equals your Hit Die.

Magical Companion [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Magical Might, Familiar
    Benefit: Your level is equal to your Hit Die for effects that grant additional bonuses to your familiar and for requirements on obtaining a new familiar. In addition, you gain the Improved Familiar feat though you still must meet any requirements for that new familiar.

Heightened Aptitude [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Magical Might
    Benefit: You gain one 3rd-level arcane and divine spell slot. You also gain one slot for a domain spell, if you have access to domains. If you have a high enougth ability score to grant bonus spells, they may be applied.

Spell Swap [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Magical Might, 5 epic feats
    Benefits: You can prepare and cast spells from one of your spellcasting classes using the available slots from any of your other spellcasting class. Spells prepared or cast in this way take up a slot one level higher than they originally occupied. This ability cannot be used to cast a spell at a lower level if that spell exists on both spell lists. You can prepare a 1st-level spell from one of your spellcasting classes using the 2nd-level slots of the other spellcasting class or a 2nd-level spell using a 3rd level slot.

Twin Cast [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Magical Might, Heightened Aptitude, 10 epic feats
    Benefits: Once per day, you may cast a spell from both your arcane and divine magical spell lists as a standard action.

• SHADOWDANCER

• Stealth in Shadows [Prestige, Entry]
    Prerequisites:
    Character level 6th or ECL 6th; Move Silently 8 ranks, Hide 9 ranks, Perform (dance) 5 ranks; Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility
    Benefit: You gain the Hide in Plain Sight ability.

Slip of Shadows [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Stealth in Shadows
    Benefit: You gain the ability to Shadow Jump 20 ft.

Shadow-Sight [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Stealth in Shadows
    Benefit: You are permanently under the effects of a darkvision spell.

Shadow’s Ally [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Stealth in Shadows
    Benefit: You gain the Summon Shadow class feature.

Dancer’s Knack [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Stealth in Shadows, 5 epic feats
    Benefit: You gain the defensive roll class feature.

Deeper Shadow-Slip [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Stealth in Shadows, Slip of Shadows, 10 epic feats
    Benefit: You increase the distance you can shadow jump to 50 ft.

• THAUMATURGIST

• Summoner's Initiate [Prestige, Entry]:
    Prerequisites:
    Character level 6th or ECL 6th; Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (conjuration); ability to cast summon monster III spell.
    Benefit: Once per day you can cast the planar ally, lesser spell. When casting this spell he makes a Diplomacy check to convince the creature to aid him for a reduced payment. If the thaumaturgist's Diplomacy check adjusts the creature's attitude to helpful the creature will work for 50% of the standard fee, as long as the task is one that is not against its nature.

This feature only works when the planar ally shares at least one aspect of alignment with the thaumaturgist. A thaumaturgist can have only one such ally at a time, but he may bargain for tasks from other planar allies normally. Additionally, if you have 4 or more Prestige feats, you may cast planar ally, lesser twice per day.

Summoner's Might [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Summoner's Initiate
    Benefit: The Enhancement bonus provided by your Augment Summoning feat increases to +6 to their Strength and Constitution score.

Enduring Call [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Summoner's Initiate
    Benefit: All spells from the summoning subschool that the thaumaturgist casts have their duration doubles, as if the Entend Spell feat had been applied to them. The levels of the summoning spells don't change, however. This ability stacks with the effects of the Extend Spell feat, which does change the spell's level.

Reliant Summons [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Summoner's Initiate
    Benefit: A thaumaturgist can prepare a summoning or calling spell ahead of time to be triggered by some other event. This functions as described for the contingency spell, including having the thaumaturgist cast the summoning or calling spell beforehand. The spell is cast instantly when the trigger even occurs.

The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general. If complicated or convoluted conditions as are prescribed, the reliant summons may fail when triggered. The conjuration spell occurs based solely on the stated conditions, regardless of whether the thaumaturgist wants it to, althought most conjurations can be dismissed normally. A thaumaturgist can have only one contingent conjuration active at a time.

Summoner's Protection [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Summoner's Initiate, 5 epic feats
    Benefit: Whenever a creature is conjured with a calling or summoning subschool spell it receives damage reduction 5/magic.

Summoner's Planar Cohort [Prestige]:
    Prerequisite:
    Summoner's Initiate, Summoner's Might
    Benefit: Once per week you can cast the Planar Ally spell. In addition, you can use either the planar ally or planar ally, lesser spell to call a creature to act as his cohort. The called creature serves loyally and well as long as the thaumaturgist continues to advance a cause important to the creature.

To call a planar cohort, the thaumaturgist must cas the relevant spell, paying the XP cost normally. It takes an offering of 1,000 gp x the HD of the creature to convince it to serve as a planar cohort, and the Summoner's Initiate feat can't be used to reduce or eliminate this cost. The planar cohort can't have more Hit Dice than the thaumaturgist has, and must have an ECL no higher than the thaumaturgist's character level.

A thaumaturgist can have only one planar cohort at a time, but he can continue to make agreements with other called creatures normally. A planar cohort replaces a thaumaturgist's existing cohort, if he has once by virtue of the Leadership feat.

EDIT:
Added the Mystic Theurge Prestige Feats. (03/05/12)
Added the Arcane Archer Prestige Feats.(03/06/12)
Added the Duelist Prestige Feats. (03/10/12)
Added the Assassin Prestige Feats and changed the Blackguard a little bit (06/27/12)
Added the Optional rule that deals with alignment and non-mechanical requirements for those who might not put emphasis on those specifics for their campaigns. (06/27/12)
Changed the Assassin feat name to Practiced Killer (sounds better and more ambigous) (08/12/12)
Added the Thaumaturgist Prestige Feats. (08/13/12)

Edited by - Diffan on 13 Aug 2012 17:15:19
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  14:30:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

• DERVISH

• Deadly Dancer [Prestige, Entry]
    Prerequisites:
    Character level 6th or ECL 6th; base attack +5; Perform (Dance) +3, Tumble +3; Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Focus (any slashing weapon or light/heavy blades)
    Benefit: You gain the dervish dance ability 1/day. In addition, you treat scimitars as light weapons for all purposes.

Defensive Step [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Deadly Dancer
    Benefit: You gain the Movement Mastery feature and also receive a +1 bonus to your AC so long as your wearing light or no armor.

Sweeping Blades [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Deadly Dancer
    Benefit: You gain Spring Attack as a bonus feat, even if you don't meet the prerequisites. In addition, your base speed is enhanced, increaseing it by 10 ft. While using your Dervish Dance

Cleaving Strikes [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Deadly Dancer
    Benefit: You gain the Dance of Death class feature. Additionally, the bonus to attack and damage rolls while in a Dervish Dance increases by +1.

Guarded Flourish [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Deadly Dancer, 5 Epic feats
    Benefit: You gain the Elaborate Parry class feature. In addition, your initiative increases by +2.

Dance of Unending Strikes [Prestige]
    Prerequisite:
    Deadly Dancer, Sweeping Blades, 10 Epic feats
    Benefit: You gain A Thousand Cuts class feature and can dervish dance 2/day. The bonus to attack and damage rolls while in a Dervish Dance increases by +1 and you no longer become fatigued at the end of your dervish dance.

Edited by - Diffan on 15 Mar 2012 03:50:31
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  16:41:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting read - thank you for sharing with us Diffan.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000