Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Best Of The Realms Book IV
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  17:15:53  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was reading the 2011 release schedule on the Candlekeep Home Page and saw that in February 2011 The Best Of The Realms, Book IV was due to be released. However, I have checked Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com and cannot find it anywhere. As it was released in the same month as The Legend Of Drizzt Anthology are they the same book or have I just been looking in the wrong place?

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there was a RAS short story anthology released earlier this year called The Legend of Drizzt Anthology: The Collected Stories. That sounds like the likely culprit.

I guess WOTC thought that including "Legend of Drizzt" branding in the title would help sales more than "Best of the Realms". That's a shame. I would've preferred continuity with the other anthologies.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  18:30:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard a rumor a few years back about WOTC releasing all of Drizzt's journal entries in a paperback book form. Anyone have info on this??

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  10:59:25  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Yeah, there was a RAS short story anthology released earlier this year called The Legend of Drizzt Anthology: The Collected Stories. That sounds like the likely culprit.

I guess WOTC thought that including "Legend of Drizzt" branding in the title would help sales more than "Best of the Realms". That's a shame. I would've preferred continuity with the other anthologies.

I guess it does fit with the marketing of the Legend Of Drizzt Series. Also all of the characters in the anthology were Drizzt related so the Legend of Drizzt title does fit the book.
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  11:56:31  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a side note does anyone know anything about the Forgotten Realms 2012 release schedule yet?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  17:59:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

On a side note does anyone know anything about the Forgotten Realms 2012 release schedule yet?

Yeah, WotC knows about it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2011 :  03:12:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The name of RAS itself is more than enough to draw loyal fans. So I guess the reason for the use of Drizzt anthology instead of the usual “Realms of X” is not (only) for promotion, but for the simple fact that all the stories have Drizzt in them, whether he's the central or supporting hero doesn't matter.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  20:41:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The name of RAS itself is more than enough to draw loyal fans. So I guess the reason for the use of Drizzt anthology instead of the usual “Realms of X” is not (only) for promotion, but for the simple fact that all the stories have Drizzt in them, whether he's the central or supporting hero doesn't matter.

Nah, there are a bunch of shorts in there that don't have Drizzt at all--most of them, in fact.

"Guenhwyvar" and "The First Notch" both predate Drizzt's birth by many years.

The "Sellswords" and Bloodstone stories don't involve Drizzt at all. "Bones and Stones" and "Iruladoon" don't, either.

I haven't read the latest story "To Legend He Goes", but it sounds like it's all about Wulfgar, and not Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  07:14:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Nah, there are a bunch of shorts in there that don't have Drizzt at all--most of them, in fact.

The "Sellswords" and Bloodstone stories don't involve Drizzt at all. "Bones and Stones" and "Iruladoon" don't, either.

I haven't read the latest story "To Legend He Goes", but it sounds like it's all about Wulfgar, and not Drizzt.

Most is enough. It's just like a novel. The main character does not appear in all the chapters. So in an anthology, it's fine if there's one or two short stories where the main hero does not make an appearance, or is only mentioned in passing.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  09:40:21  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The anthology is called The Legend of Drizzt. The characters you have mentioned such as Artemis Entreri, Wulfgar etc although not Drizzt himself are characters from his tale such as his nemesis and the Companions Of The Hall and as such are major contributors to Drizzt's legend and worthy of inclusion in the anthology.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  23:13:57  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Most is enough. It's just like a novel. The main character does not appear in all the chapters. So in an anthology, it's fine if there's one or two short stories where the main hero does not make an appearance, or is only mentioned in passing.

No, what I said was that Drizzt does not appear in most of the stories in the anthology.

But I do still consider whether they at least deal with the Companions of the Hall, or the Sellswords, like in my Drizzt chronology. I color-code all the Companions-related tales in dark green, for example.

quote:

The anthology is called The Legend of Drizzt. The characters you have mentioned such as Artemis Entreri, Wulfgar etc although not Drizzt himself are characters from his tale such as his nemesis and the Companions Of The Hall and as such are major contributors to Drizzt's legend and worthy of inclusion in the anthology.

Would any drow short story qualify, then? How about any Alustriel short? Or any tale set in Luskan, Silverymoon, etc.? What about any story that takes place on the continent of Faerűn? Or any story taking place concurrently with the life of Drizzt or anyone that was influential in his life?

It just seems a stretch to call most of these stories part of "The Legend of Drizzt", when not even all of the Drizzt novels have even been labeled such.

It would've made more sense just to maintain the existing pattern of calling the anthology "Best of the Realms, Volume #", and crediting RAS. That would be accurate, descriptive, and not shifty marketing.

Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2011 :  11:31:35  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

No, what I said was that Drizzt does not appear in most of the stories in the anthology.

But I do still consider whether they at least deal with the Companions of the Hall, or the Sellswords, like in my Drizzt chronology. I color-code all the Companions-related tales in dark green, for example.

quote:

Would any drow short story qualify, then? How about any Alustriel short? Or any tale set in Luskan, Silverymoon, etc.? What about any story that takes place on the continent of Faerűn? Or any story taking place concurrently with the life of Drizzt or anyone that was influential in his life?

It just seems a stretch to call most of these stories part of "The Legend of Drizzt", when not even all of the Drizzt novels have even been labeled such.

It would've made more sense just to maintain the existing pattern of calling the anthology "Best of the Realms, Volume #", and crediting RAS. That would be accurate, descriptive, and not shifty marketing.

Oh well.

But the characters in The Legend of Drizzt Anthology aren't just bit part players - they are major contributors to his tale and have had big impacts upon Drizzts life. In regard to the most recent books in the Drizzt Series, I believe that they will be given the Legend Of Drizzt treatement in a few years time when they will be republished as part of that series. However, I do agree that the decision to call the anthology Legend of Drizzt instead of Best of the Realms was most probably a marketing decision, albeit a quite logical marketing decision.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  17:14:53  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But the characters in The Legend of Drizzt Anthology aren't just bit part players - they are major contributors to his tale and have had big impacts upon Drizzts life.

Not all of them. None of the characters in "If Ever They Happened Upon My Lair", which was set in the Bloodstone Lands during Zhengyi's campaign, contributed anything to Drizzt or his tale. He's never been to the Bloodstone Lands, or dealt with Zhengyi or any of his minions or constructs.

Similarly, Jarlaxle and Entreri weren't contributing majorly to Drizzt's life when they were off adventuring in the stories set in the Bloodstone Lands. At that time, Drizzt was in Icewind Dale, kanoodling with Catti-brie!

"Bones and Stones" is about Pwent and an orc officer. RAS had to shoehorn a Drizzt Diary entry from The Two Swords into the tale just to stretch it into somehow involving Drizzt. And, while Drizzt's comments are deep and profound, they contrast jarringly with the mood and theme of the rest of this story. Lastly, the meeting between Pwent and the orc have nothing to do with Drizzt--he was off elsewhere deciding whether or not to be "The Lone Drow".

And neither Guenhwyvar nor Bruenor contributed majorly to Drizzt's life way back in the ancient past, which is when their stories were set--before Drizzt was even born.

After Wulfgar left the Companions at Mithral Hall in The Orc King and moved back to Icewind Dale, how was he majorly contributing any longer to Drizzt's tale in the story "To Legend He Goes"? Drizzt doesn't even know what happened to Wulfgar, according to the novel Gauntlgrym, set later on. He couldn't haven't contributed much to Drizzt in that story, then.

Now, if we're gonna rationalize this inclusion here of stories about other characters when they were not contributing to Drizzt's life--but who have otherwise contributed majorly to Drizzt's life in other non-included tales--then why not include every short story about Alustriel? She saved Drizzt's best friend Bruenor's life and helped to re-take Mithral Hall in The Halfling's Gem, served as a one-woman air force to assist in repelling the drow from Mithral Hall in Siege of Darkness, and joined Drizzt in strongly advocating that Bruenor embrace the dwarf-orc treaty in The Orc King. Couldn't we rightly say that she seems to have contributed more "major contributions" to Drizzt's life than, say, Regis ever has? Why not include every tale about her, then?

And if we can rationalize the inclusion here of stories about people who otherwise contributed majorly to Drizzt's life outside of these particular stories, then why shouldn't we likewise include stories about places that have contributed majorly to his life? Why not add in every story about Menzoberranzan, the Spine of the World, Luskan, Silverymoon, Calimport, the Sea of Swords, etc.-- including ones that don't involved Drizzt at all, just like most of the stories, here? That would make just as much sense.

quote:
In regard to the most recent books in the Drizzt Series, I believe that they will be given the Legend Of Drizzt treatement in a few years time when they will be republished as part of that series.

I hope so. I've theorized the same thing. It sure would make sense.

The new Drizzt comic, which picks up right after Gauntlgrym, is packaged as part of "The Legend of Drizzt", too.

The weird thing is that they've already released both hardcovers and paperbacks of the books from both the "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy" and "Transitions", which all feature Drizzt, but none of them have been packaged as part of "The Legend of Drizzt", yet. They already had the option to do so, and yet they have repeatedly declined the option. So it is really ironic that they did not refuse to do so with this assortment of short stories, most of which have nothing to do with the titular hero character. Oddness!

I wonder if there's any word of "The Legend of Drizzt Collector's Edition", Volumes V and VI, corresponding to "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy" and "Transitions"?

quote:
However, I do agree that the decision to call the anthology Legend of Drizzt instead of Best of the Realms was most probably a marketing decision, albeit a quite logical marketing decision.

It's not consistent with previous similar anthologies by other top-selling Realms authors, nor with previous novels that actually featured Drizzt. How is that logical?

It's profitable. That's it. Logic be durned.

On a side note, I got to thinking that maybe they could've entitled this whole anthology series "Tales from the Realms", instead of Best of the Realms. That would be accurate and descriptive, without being evaluative and judgmental.

Oh well, I'll certainly never be in marketing!

And for the record, I'm one of the biggest Drizzt fanbois alive, and certainly the biggest Drizzt nerd. This isn't an attack on Drizzt or RAS. It's just a critique of a marketing decision. That's all.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000