Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Most Memorable Moments when reading a Realms book?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  20:23:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What are some of your top most memorable moments when you were reading a Realms book? Share the moments that literally gave you goosebumps on your arms for any reason.

Note: POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!

One for me was the ceiling came crashing down on Wulfgar and the Yochol. It's been a long time since i read it but i think it was either in The Legacy or Starless Night.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  20:42:04  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No doubt, Gromph magic fighting Dyrr, best wizard fight I've seen in the novels so far. Too bad Pharaun didn't fight any skilled foe in the WotSQ saga

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  13:51:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also enjoyed nearly every battle between Drizzt and Entreri. Salvatore has a gift for descibing subtle details for the fight scenes which really make them pop out. I always loved when you read an entire page or two for one of his fight scenes and reflect that in "reality" it probably only took a few seconds for those events to occur.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  16:57:11  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I also enjoyed nearly every battle between Drizzt and Entreri. Salvatore has a gift for descibing subtle details for the fight scenes which really make them pop out. I always loved when you read an entire page or two for one of his fight scenes and reflect that in "reality" it probably only took a few seconds for those events to occur.

I would have to agree with you there. Salvatore's fight scenes are amazing. He can bring to life combat better than almost every author out there. He can turn a 2 minute fight sequence into 20 pages effortlessly whilst still maintaining the flow of the novel and not getting bogged down.
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  17:03:46  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another would have to be in Richard Lee Byers, Dissolution (Book 1 in the War of the Spider Queen Series). The way he brought to life Menzoberranzan and the character of Pharaun really drew my attention and really encouraged me to get back into the Forgotten Realms novels. The book had humour and depth and I rate it very highly.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  18:26:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

Another would have to be in Richard Lee Byers, Dissolution (Book 1 in the War of the Spider Queen Series). The way he brought to life Menzoberranzan and the character of Pharaun really drew my attention and really encouraged me to get back into the Forgotten Realms novels. The book had humour and depth and I rate it very highly.

Absolutely. The entire War of the Spider Queen series was great, but Dissolution really drew me in. Excellent character development.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  10:56:03  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

Absolutely. The entire War of the Spider Queen series was great, but Dissolution really drew me in. Excellent character development.

I really enjoyed the War of the Spider Queen series but i felt that the series began to struggle towards the end. Having six different authors writing the same characters became frustrating as certain characteristics became lost and some characters became unrecognisable. I enjoy all of the authors work both before and since and in isolation all six books of the series were good but having so many different authors took something away from the series.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  11:37:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What are some of your top most memorable moments when you were reading a Realms book? Share the moments that literally gave you goosebumps on your arms for any reason.

So many...

Szass Tam and his fellow zulkirs' final battle.

The confrontation of Telamont and Mephistopheles.

The very first fight of Cale and Co. against Vhostym.

The talk of Brennus and Telamont after Mephisto revealed Alashar's murderer.

The battle of the Chosen and Royal family of Shade.

Pavel's ultimate sacrifice.

The last battle in Frostfell.

Aglarel and Rivalen's intrusion in the magically warded Chamber where the Lords of Waterdeep and their allies convened to discuss the phaerimm threat (in RotA).

Rivalen's fight with a green dragon in Shadowstorm.

Gromph and Dyrr's epic battle. I thought Athans would kill Gromph.

And there are a lot, lot more...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  16:18:14  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are so many...

From Salvatore's series:

Regis fishing in the scrimshaw lakes of Icewind Dale with a line tied around his toe. Something about this word image as he wrote it conjures up ole Huckleberry Finn to me. I like those peaceful moments in books like those.

When Drizzt and co loosened the stalagmite onto the temple in Mezzoberanzen (Starless Night?)

When Cadderly battled his father in The Fallen Fortress. When Cadderly and co rode the Red Dragon in The Fallen Fortress.

When Kimmuriel used his powers to make the spy beggar lady explode in blood in Calimport during The Servant of the Shard.

Other Authors:

Elminster and Storm battling Manshoon in Crown of Fire.

Shandril battling/destroying the Citadel of the Raven single handedly in Crown of Fire.

Torm and Bane battling as giant avatar statues outside of Tantras in Book 2 of the Avatar trilogy.

Cyric, Adon, Kelemvor and Midnight fighting and killing Bhaal at the Bridge in Book 3 of the Avatar trilogy.

The release of Moander from the pit in Curse of the Azure Bonds (reminded me of The Blob) and subsequent journey to Myth Drannor through the Elven Woods with red dragon battle.

Hmm I could go on all day at this. sorry!

Edited by - Seravin on 27 Aug 2011 16:18:48
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  21:53:25  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite literally laughed out loud and pumped my fist when Bregan Daerthe came to Calimport in The Silent Blade.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 27 Aug 2011 21:53:50
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  22:40:06  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When Liriel Baenre used intelligence and trickery to capture the wizard Tresk (intended as her prey for the drow Blooding ritual), and using him against her teacher Xandra. For me, that was one of the best wizard-wizard battles ever, because she went a step beyond most spellcasters who just rely on raw magical power.

and... this one isn't really a book, but:

The opening story/background for Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. Probably one of the finest games ever made, because it was such a COOL and well-thought-out overarching plot. That beginning sequence, the history, even the artwork and semi-animation presentation, they were all perfectly executed.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  22:59:30  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The eel torture scene in "Trial of Cyric." That still makes me shudder.

In "Shadow's Witness" when Erevis just friggin TACKLES the demon that pops up out of that portal into the Abyss, knowing he'll most likely follow it down.

In "Midnight's Mask" when they're debating torturing/murdering the guy for information (I think? It's been a while, but I remember being shocked to see that sort of moment in a Realms book).

The prologue to "Prince of Lies." WOW, was that awesome.

Pretty much every damn page of "Whisper of Waves," especially the rape scene. Jaw dropping for so many reasons.

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2011 :  03:07:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zenmichael

The eel torture scene in "Trial of Cyric." That still makes me shudder.

Agreed. It's too vivid to easily forget.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000