Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Material about Iriaebor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  20:27:15  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there!

A friend of mine is going to start a group and has chosen Iriaebor as set. Since he asked me for supplies:

Do you know any related material?

Thanks,
X

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  21:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the city west of Cormyr that's full of crazy towers, right? If so, Sharn from Eberron might be a good place to look for inspiration; huge city built up and down instead of across, lots of huge megical towers and general niftyness. Appart from the various little blurbs in various main setting books that I imagine you're already familiar with, I con't think of any significant mentions of the place.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  21:38:38  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct, the city full of towers. The reference to Sharn is a good hint, thank you!

As a matter of fact, I just know the little texts in the FRCS and found a reference to "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast". Nothing more, at the moment…

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  00:27:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms Adventures...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  02:25:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See also, Crypt of the Shadowking and there's a little in Curse of the Shadowmage. [They're FR novels, as part of "The Harpers" series.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  07:35:37  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also used Sharn. Almost all except the Skyway and the nonhuman races. It needed a lot of adapting, and most of Eberron artwork was not for my taste, Irieaebor should look more gothic.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  02:24:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just confirmed, yes Forgotten Realms Adventures book from 2nd edition has a full map and 2 full pages of text describing the NPCs and important buildings. Probably best to go there!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  06:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast is the fullest source, and Power of Faerūn details the Court of the High Tower.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  10:30:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group has a lot of history with the Blacktalons mercenaries from Gold & Glory.
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  21:33:32  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In BG1:TotSC, when doing Shandalar's quest, you meet a mage who attacks you after conversing with him. Upon defeating him, you find his journal on his person, and find he's from Iriaebor. Looking into the game engine, his journal is written:

The Journal of Andris of Iriaebor,

Would that I had more paper to write on, but too much was burned in haste for warmth. Little there is to document anyway, and so I leave this small writ for any that might find my corpse, for that is the only way it shall part from me. Know that Andris does curse you for your life, and that should I return in some fell form I will hunt you for the sheer spite of you seeing my decimated body. The business of that aside, I hope that you who read this have suffered the same fate as I. The indignity of this condition! With all the power at mine fingers I must huddle around a dung-fire eating seal fat! The forces behind this place have no respect for my stature, my power! I have slain beasts thrice my size with a glance, and traveled as a bird over oceans! Here my magic is sucked to the earth and I am held, as others are. Some have escaped, and I swear I shall hunt them and take the power they must have. To do what I cannot they must be great indeed. I curse them for leaving, I curse this place, and I curse that I have not the might to follow.

Andris of Iriaebor.

He was (past tense, as the PC & party are to kill him once he attacks) a level 11 mage, human male, neutral evil, 10STR, 16DEX, 13CON, 18INT, 11WIS & 12CHA. Even though he's dead, I figure this might help your campaign, as he was a mage of note and of no small power. Plenty of stems for RP potential, despite his corpse being somewhere in the Rheged Glacier.

Also, the bandits that plague the Sword Coast in BG1, reportedly all came from Iriaebor, in the employ of the Black Talons merc company from Gold & Glory, as Quale mentioned in the post right above mine.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 24 Aug 2011 21:38:42
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  15:54:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms Adventures has some great info

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  05:11:06  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was so interested in what I found in BG1 that I forgot the main intrigues about Iriaebor.

Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast is IMO the best sourcebook on what's within the city. What it's all about can in a nutshell be summed up when Ed (as Volo) wrote: "Iriaebor is like Waterdeep gone mad when it comes to merchant manipulations, chicanery, and maneuvering."

If that's not enough intrigue, it's on the same River Chionthar that hosts Baldur's Gate & Scornubel, thus intrigues initiating from those cities & initiating from the Moonshaes & Waterdeep making their way east, may stop through Iriaebor; it's the first major city that those coming from Cormyr & Westgate will come into; and it's the largest city that's close to Darkhold & Sshamath - the drow city ruled by wizards (not noble houses) & trades openly with surfacers that dare enter.

Iriaebor doesn't have the glamour of other places in the Realms, but it doesn't appear short on intrigue. Also, the leader of the city is Lord Bron, who is a fallen paladin. Because of that, the attitudes of most nobles aren't likely to be respectful of his authority on the city; this opens up further intrigues, with the lengths he'd go to for respect, and the possible fallout thereof.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 30 Aug 2011 05:12:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000