Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lords of Waterdeep Board Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  17:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, folks are talking a bit about the Undermountain boxed set that will see print some time around April of next year. What I haven't seen mentioned is the other major FR game release that was announced this past GenCon: Lords of Waterdeep.

It's not a roleplaying game product, but an influence-building Euro-game set in the City of Splendors. It uses lords that will be familiar to us all, coins based on the canon FR coins of Waterdeep, and locales and plots that fit right in to anyone that knows at loves the city.

I can't say much more, except to reveal a secret that most don't know about yet:

The game is freaking awesome.

I was fortunate enough to get to play through the game with my dear friends Ed Greenwood and Steven Schend, new friends Logan Bonner and Trevor Kidd, with D&D Tabletop Games Manager (and designer for the game) Rodney Thompson walking us through the rules. It only takes one round of playthrough to get the rules down well enough, and is an awful lot of fun to play.

A Forgotten Realms game, that doesn't care what edition of D&D you might play (if you play D&D at all), and is true to the setting, family-friendly, and tremendous fun.

I give it 5 out of 5 (Moon)Stars.

I can't wait to see the final product.

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  18:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the gods, I am jealous!

Stupid flight home on Sunday . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  18:12:47  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I hear "Euro-game" in reference to a board game, I tend to think of things like Carcassone or Settlers of Catan. Is this kinda-sorta along the lines of what you played with the new board game?

I freaking LOVE Catan. It's addictive and fun, really straightforward (but not "simple") and at the same time fairly short - it won't take 4+ hours to finish a game.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  18:15:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like something that will cause me to give WotC money for the first time in a long time...

By "It uses lords that will be familiar to us all," do you mean the Lords of the pre-4E time frame?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  18:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

By "It uses lords that will be familiar to us all," do you mean the Lords of the pre-4E time frame?

Well, one of the lords cards was up on the screen, and it was Khelben Arunsun. To quoth the Blackstaff: "Indeed."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  19:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

When I hear "Euro-game" in reference to a board game, I tend to think of things like Carcassone or Settlers of Catan. Is this kinda-sorta along the lines of what you played with the new board game?

I freaking LOVE Catan. It's addictive and fun, really straightforward (but not "simple") and at the same time fairly short - it won't take 4+ hours to finish a game.
I wouldn't say it's like Carcassone or Catan; it's more points-accumulation, and action-and-resource-management, than map-driven.

Can't say too much more just now. Except for WHEE!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  19:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Well, one of the lords cards was up on the screen, and it was Khelben Arunsun. To quoth the Blackstaff: "Indeed."

Cheers

You can't imagine how disappointed I was that the gods of random chance did not deliver that lord into my hands.

Even so, I'm in full agreement with Garen/Brian--this game is as full of awesome as Mirt is full of saturated fats.

While I can't say too much, I will say a few things:

Its best feature as an FR-linked game is that it "feels right" in terms of players' roles as Lords of Waterdeep. (Even better is that what will make FR fans happy will not impede non-gamers from enjoying the game, making it a good game to play with my in-laws who are not RPGers.)

And its comparisons to euro-games are more to do with interactive gameplay than strict mechanical comparisons, as you're not really building resources or maps ala Catan or Carcassonne.

And since Brian didn't start the queue, I get to claim FIRST IN LINE to buy this game as soon as it releases in March.

Steven
who thinks this is at least as strong a game as Carcassonne (and whose opinions on that game can be found in HOBBY GAMES 100)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  20:30:05  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a "debauched party" round somewhere in it?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

sarahdarkmagic
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  21:01:55  Show Profile  Visit sarahdarkmagic's Homepage Send sarahdarkmagic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I registered just so I could reply. I got to play this during GenCon as well, and I loved it. I can't wait to buy it so I can play it some more. I spent most of the con with a sad puppy face around the people I knew had it in hopes they would let me play again.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  21:13:38  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a stroke of genious for WotC.

Does it have a accurate cardboard map of Waterdeep? How big is it?
Could the game be used to enhance a Waterdeep campaign in another manner?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  21:24:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

This sounds like a stroke of genious for WotC.

Does it have a accurate cardboard map of Waterdeep? How big is it?
Could the game be used to enhance a Waterdeep campaign in another manner?
It's really to early for me to spill any beans about the details of what's in the box--particularly since any details could potentially change between now and when the box goes off to print.

So, I'll keep mum on this, at least for now.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  21:38:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It'd be really nice to see one of the Lords of Waterdeep I created make it into a WotC product... (hint, hint! )

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  00:18:20  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This game is freaking amazing. The art for it too is quite sweet (the cover).

I can't sway enough about it. I got to play a little of it and then watch others play (Ed and Steven).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  01:48:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

... who thinks this is at least as strong a game as Carcassonne (and whose opinions on that game can be found in HOBBY GAMES 100)

If I wasn't already hyped for this product because of Brian's enticing commentary, I would be now.

I've never had the opportunity to play "Carcassone," but I have seen it in action, and it looks to be a totally enthralling game-experience. So if "Lords of Waterdeep" ranks on the same level, then I know I'll be setting aside yet another day of the week for gaming such as this.

And I can't wait to get my grubby little mittens on those coins!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Aug 2011 01:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  01:56:59  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, you will really enjoy this game. As will all Realms fans who enjoy a fun boardgame.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  08:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the sound of this.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  10:12:23  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds absolutely fun-tastic!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  01:04:11  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! This is going to be my first non-novel FR purchase since 3rd edition ended. Very excited to buy this. I may buy 2! One to play and one for keeping in pristine condition!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  04:14:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.
I bring the words of Ed, re. the prototype LORDS OF WATERDEEP game:

A SUPERB game that captures the feel of Waterdeep.
I will be buying several copies, as I anticipate wearing more than one out, and will be PROUD to gift teachers and library colleagues and non-roleplayer family members with copies to show them "This IS the city I created so long ago, brought to life. Not to mention a great game that's more accomplishing things than fighting."
It would be unprofessional to spill too much about the game at this point, but I will say that for me, creator of the Realms and Waterdeep and blah blah blah, it's a MUST buy.
I think it might appear in March next year or a little later, and as a game designer I can say it looks eminently expandable (either by the publisher or with "homebrew" add-ons) and translatable into other languages than English - - and deserves both expansions and global market reach!
I agree wholeheartedly with Garen Thal's rating.
Bladewind, I see no reason why it couldn't be used to enhance Waterdeep events or a Waterdeep-centric roleplaying campaign, in all sorts of ways. I can't be more specific without revealing too much about the game, and for ethical reasons I can't be more specific about the size of the game or specific features, other than to say that if the prototype I got to play with is anything like the final product, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Colour me VERY happy. This game could be big (as in: introducing the Realms to a whole new segment of gamers). Very big.
Or as Elminster might say: "Wheeeeeeee! Aye, again."

So saith Ed. Who, it seems, likes it.
Myself, I couldn't get to GenCon this year, and so will have to be satisfied with what little Ed can say to me about LORDS OF WATERDEEP (thus far: "Oh, you're going to love it! Another Realms cottage game! We're going to be playing this one for decades!")
Well, now. This I must see . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  18:47:13  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great news from Ed!

If anyone knows or finds out which Lords will be included (aside from the already mentioned Khelben) please let us know. I'm dying to see if Laeral is included!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  19:24:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Great news from Ed!

If anyone knows or finds out which Lords will be included (aside from the already mentioned Khelben) please let us know. I'm dying to see if Laeral is included!

I'm not aware of any lore that numbered Laeral among the Lords, though she did know who they were (at least most of them). There were 15 Lords named in various sources up until the end of the 3E era, and Laeral wasn't one of them. 13 were named in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Ed named Asper as a Lord in his short story in Realms of the Underdark, and the book The Siege named another, Deliah the White. Neither of the latter two are named in the Waterdeep book or in any other source as Lords.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  19:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Great news from Ed!

I'm not aware of any lore that numbered Laeral among the Lords, though she did know who they were (at least most of them). There were 15 Lords named in various sources up until the end of the 3E era, and Laeral wasn't one of them. 13 were named in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Ed named Asper as a Lord in his short story in Realms of the Underdark, and the book The Siege named another, Deliah the White. Neither of the latter two are named in the Waterdeep book or in any other source as Lords.

Bury Elminster Deep mentions two, though not when they were Lords or if they were operating under other names (I assume they were).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  23:54:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:

quote:

Great news from Ed!

Bury Elminster Deep mentions two, though not when they were Lords or if they were operating under other names (I assume they were).

I'll have to get that book and read it, then... I'm a huge fan of the Lords of Waterdeep, and I've made a point of gathering as much info about them as I could.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  23:58:00  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll have to get that book and read it, then... I'm a huge fan of the Lords of Waterdeep, and I've made a point of gathering as much info about them as I could.

I assume the characters in question being Lords wasn't something previously known. I was trying to keep it spoiler free due to that, but if you want to know who check the Questions for Ed section.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  01:31:38  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll keep my eye on this then. I hope to surprize my friends and loved ones with a new addictive pastime. Most people I know are avid boardgamers and always like to try something new. This will simultaneously introduce them to the splendid fiction of the realms aswell!

Huzzah!

Can't wait till its next year!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  02:34:54  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The official page is up now at the Wizards site.

Can't wait to see the finished product!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2011 :  03:26:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The official page is up now at the Wizards site.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Oh, it really is a thing of beauty.

Oooo! Wooden player markers. Lots of neat stuff!

I can't wait to see those token-gold coins.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  11:31:03  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should get more Infots about it here in the future I guess:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/110327/lords-of-waterdeep

From what Garen tells it reminds me of http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30957/tribune-primus-inter-pares and similar games.
Sounds interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  02:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first I hear of this. I must be quite behind on my news, ouch.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  03:36:35  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After Sage said "it's a thing of beauty", I really wanted to see some photos. But when I click on the link I find here, it gives me a null page at WotC.

Were you referring just to the cover, or are there some additional pics that I'm just not finding? Are there pics of the pieces and such? Or is it still under wraps, so to speak?

It does sound pretty interesting, like a blend of deep strategy and boardgame... and if it's as strong as Carcassone, I'd like to check it out.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  03:59:21  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's in the product catalog.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/388510000

I'm looking forward to this. A friend recently became interesting board games. Might be a good chance to share something new and hang out besides the usual overpriced movie and comic/book store window shopping on a lazy Sunday.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000