Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is your favorite Arch Fiend?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  09:16:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I might vote for Graz'zt for being the only handsome (by demon standards, of course) and most fashionable archdevil.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  06:00:55  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I might vote for Graz'zt for being the only handsome (by demon standards, of course) and most fashionable archdevil.

Yes and to have someone as calculating and logical as Vuron as your advisor is downright GANGSTA!

Edited by - jordanz on 09 Aug 2011 06:01:33
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  10:24:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

Yes and to have someone as calculating and logical as Vuron as your advisor is downright GANGSTA!

I read somewhere (I can't recall exactly, but it's either in one of the Warhammer novels, or the Riftwar Cycle) that among demons, "good looks" and brains usually go together.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  10:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would explain why they're all ugly as sin.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  11:10:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not all of them. Depending on which angle you're looking at.

Anyway, I haven't seen any vote for Levistus. I think the imprisonment is a major turn-off. But then again, he's able to command armies, silently rules his own layer in Hell, and keeps his rivals at bay.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  11:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The smartest one of them is Dagon. If intelligence and beauty are in direct corralation here, that is a sad statement.

And Levistus is mostly luck; Belial was pretty sure he could take him before he got distracted with the whole, Glaysa issue. Not to mention; would you want to rule Stygia?

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  11:28:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, I pretty much like the intense, bone-chilling cold. I like ice as much as fire.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  11:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look, I'm not saying there isn't a sinister beauty in watching someone freeze to death; their flesh turning blue and then black as the water in their cells crystalizes, destroying the tissue, rotting their bodies even as they draw breath...where was I going with this...oh yes. But then there's the wind. The deafening, howling wind that drives you to madness even as it soaks you in the dagger-like sprays of water from the River Styx, robbing you of your memories, your very sense of self. Yes, it's a wonderful place to send your enemies, and ruling it by proxy would be a sweet gig, but actually living there? No thank you, sir. No thank you.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  11:39:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I thought Levistus is immune to the effects of his realm... But even if he's not, his mind/essence as an archdevil must have been hardwired to accept the effects as comforts rather than suffering.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  11:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Levistus is. But he's immune to pretty much everything, what with being trapped in an iceberg. Kind of a mixed blessing, that.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  03:32:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, myself, plan to free poor Levistus, the greatest swordsman in the multiverse. His wrath will be boundless. Let all Hell tremble.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 10 Aug 2011 03:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  09:20:06  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gargauth: he is power corrupts. No one said Lolth

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  10:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I, myself, plan to free poor Levistus, the greatest swordsman in the multiverse. His wrath will be boundless. Let all Hell tremble.

Was planning on freeing him myself. Kind of hard to put his head on a pike when he's so deep in the ice, after all.

All part of an over-arching storyline I'm running involving the second Reckonning, bringing death to the disloyal in a consolodation of power for the master of Nessus.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  14:06:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How exactly does Levistus maintain dominance over his realm? Can't another archdevil just smash his "cage" and crush him with it?

Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  05:31:53  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok you know my favorite, time for some honorable mentions.

King of Ghouls - Iknow little about this guy but since ghouls are my favorite type of undead you cant go wrong here.

Orcus - he's like the obvious choice, he's the prototype for what most people picture as a Demon Lord

Kostchtchie- I always considered this dude to be the ultimate test for an epic level fighter. He's a brute who I'd love to see depicted in a novel.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  09:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How exactly does Levistus maintain dominance over his realm? Can't another archdevil just smash his "cage" and crush him with it?

Magical/psionic communication with his minions, and an avatar ruling proxi for him.

As for the cage; Asmodeus made it. As such it's enchantments are likely beyond the skill of any other archdevil to undo. Asmodeus wants Levistus alive, suffering in his prison.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  11:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my vote would be for Mephistopheles. He is so sinister and cunning. A true example of the way lawful evil should be. Gargauth is a close second though. i have always loved gargauth.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  16:24:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Synthalus

my vote would be for Mephistopheles. He is so sinister and cunning. A true example of the way lawful evil should be.

And he's the most ambitious. Which I think all archdevils should be.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2011 :  07:17:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which books are the best sources for lore about Daru Ib Shamiq and baernaloth?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2011 :  08:39:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I'm going from memory, but I recall the Hellbound: The Blood War boxed set has scattered sections/info on the baernaloth.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2011 :  09:59:33  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I'm going from memory, but I recall the Hellbound: The Blood War boxed set has scattered sections/info on the baernaloth.

I don't think Daru is mentioned outside of the Hellbound box set, though his kindred are mentioned elsehwere (2e Faces of Evil: The Fiends, 3.x Fiendish Codex I, a few times in Dragon/Dungeon magazine in 3.x).

The only other named baernaloth was Harishek Ap Thulkesh (named in passing in Dragon in a listing of demiplanes and their descriptions; no room to expand on him there, but I've done a lot of non-canon stuff online with him).

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2011 :  23:10:37  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favored archfiend is the dead one sticking out
on the business end of my sword.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000