Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Please help with CR and placement, thanks :)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erashin
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  19:29:06  Show Profile Send Erashin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Firstly sorry if its posted in the wrong area..

Basically, I'm putting my players through the "Barrow of the forgotten King" 3 part campaign. In one encounter they have to navigate a maze and the runes can summon creatures to help or hinder them.

One of these creatures is a fiendish monstrous scorpion. However because of me making a massive blunder on my part i missed the part about them having damage reduction. To get round this im trying to figure out what their CR (normally 4) would be without Damage Reduction 5/magic

Second Question:
Needs some background info..
While all the players were at Triboar they undertook the summons of help from a newly founded village called Barrows Edge. Barrows Edge is a frontier town placed in my campaign in the northen area of Krypt Garden Forest. They are creating a road linking Triboar to Neverwinter. The new road will link with the road just north of the mere of Dead men (and thus skirts Sword Mountain).
Anyway, Scourge of the Howling Horde is a means to get the Pc's there, once they defeat the black dragon they discover that Arvel (the dwarf) isn't quite what he appears and heads off into the golbins Cave, after a little investigation they pc's head back into the cave only to discover the huge pit in the dragons room now leads deep into a previously unknow underground complex. (the old dwarfish worship area which hints at the underdark / something below was a nice link)
Enter Barrow of the Forgotten King Adventure, later when Krootad is defeated at the players find the letter from the Vanguard things teh Pc's hadn't put together start to get explained, just nicely ties in.
Only change is that Xeron is now a Dwarf (his cover identity is "Arvel") and the forgotten king is also a dwarf.

Other than that, its all peachy ^_^

After the PC's complete the whole 3 part adventure "Forgotten king, summon Sertrous" is completed the Pc's will think that its over but im going ot bring in the Elder Evil book and have the vanguard make another appearance and this time in a big way. it says in the Elder Evil book that the vanguard open 7 Serpentgates in hidden temples across the land + the key serpentgate in Veshlivenk.

my second question is : where do you think good places for these temples would be AND where would you place Veshlivenk ?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the massive wall of text.

P.S - NEVER use the Scourge of the Howling Horde adventure.. Layout and build is horrid to say the least..

People say the grass is greener on the other side, but every time i turn it over its just muddy...

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  22:32:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink* If the NPC is dead all you need to be concerned about is ex. pts. Award. If that is what you are asking the CR likely would be 3, maybe 2. A DM call based on party, how many magic attacks used to kill being a factor.

Now if the monster killed a PC member, fixing becomes much harder. If of course you are real lucky and no magic used, including enchanted weapons, use the CR 4 *G*.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Erashin
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  16:36:16  Show Profile Send Erashin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, Cheers for the help ! Much appreciated :)

People say the grass is greener on the other side, but every time i turn it over its just muddy...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000