Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pointy ears?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  14:09:12  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Of course elves typically have pointy ears. But in my favorite game Baldur's gate two halflings (Alora and Montaron) and a dwarf (Korgan) have pointy ears.
1 Which races can have pointy ears (humans, gnomes, aasimars, dwarfes, halflings, etc)?
Is it typical or it is a rare trait?
2 Can elves have natural round ears?

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  15:22:49  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tel'Quess and Hin always have pointed ears.
Gnomes and Dwarves don't. I can imagine some clans of gnomes might have slightly pointed ears, and subsequently some dwarven clans that have had gnomish intermingling having pointed ears aswell.
Humans with pointed ears have some elven blood in their family, and when its noticable typically are half-elves themselves.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  18:58:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) 2E Planescape artwork depicts aasimar with elongated ears tapering off to fine points. All manner of artwork in and out of the Realms and D&D shows dwarves, gnomes, halflings/kender, orcs, goblins, centaurs, and other humanoids sometimes having pointed ears, sometimes not. 3E and later descriptions of aasimar, tieflings, genasi, and dragonborn typically do not have pointed ears (some apparently don't have ears at all) although they sometimes have slightly or highly exaggerated pointed ears.

I suppose that a variety of possible ear shapes might exist within any given D&D race yet be consistent within isolated populations, ethnicities, and family groups. Ear pointyness, along with colouration and other cosmetic qualities, can be arbitrarily assigned by the author/DM/players for no purpose other than to identify one particular group from all others. Magic, curses, divine fiat, surgery, mutation, and strange ancestry can easily explain appearance different from the norm; the modern method of D&D thinking seems to involve remarkable individuals (such as PCs) possessing traces of this-or-that blood/genetics from a god or hero or extraplanar fiend or dragon or whatever, and that trait expressing/manifesting once particular conditions/environment trigger it (ie, exposure to some kind of magic, high enough experience level, etc). The factors which shaped human ears on our world do not necessarily apply to humans, nor any other race, in fictional D&D worlds.

Note races from other worlds can vary considerably in cosmetic and substantive ways. The Forerunners from whom the Gith races descended were described as essentially being slender humans with pointed ears.

2) I expect pureblooded elves would have rounded ears about as often as pureblooded humans would have pointed ears.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  21:50:25  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that the only people who have pointy ears are the fey or those of fey decent. Though, I believe I've seen old pictures of genasi with pointy ears. I don't believe I've Aasimar with pointy ears though, but I don't really go around looking for what kind of ears they have.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  22:19:21  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never understood why that art portrays aasimar with pointed ears. Don't most celestials (except eladrin), have ears like humans do?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  22:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Per the Forgotten Realms 2e box set, page 13: "To the far South there is said to be a nation of halflings called Luiren, whose inhabitants have pointy ears."

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  23:53:27  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, maybe they are a half breed: halfing and gnome? And the Eladrin are celestrial fey, so that makes sense that they have pointy ears.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  03:56:31  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find pointed ears aesthetically unappealing and prefer not to imagine anything but elves (which I find aesthetically repulsive) having them, even if art has depicted them otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  04:25:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to limit pointed ears to elves, and I prefer those pointy ears to be approximately the same size as those of a human. I really dislike elves whose ears can be tied in a knot and/or used as a convenient handle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  04:41:08  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I prefer to limit pointed ears to elves, and I prefer those pointy ears to be approximately the same size as those of a human. I really dislike elves whose ears can be tied in a knot and/or used as a convenient handle.

I agree completely, Wooly. Certain art of late makes elves look like they're half-rabbit or something. I don't get it. They look... well. Bad. We'll say that and move along. And when I think of pointed ears on elves, I think of Lord of the Rings style. Classy.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  05:28:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Usually, I'll limit elven ears to about the same size as a Vulcan's ears [using Spock as an example].

However, I do like to differentiate between certain elven sub-races on some worlds. Like the pure-blood Silvanesti and the elven/human descendants among the Qualinesti. In my campaigns, the Silvenesti tend to have more pronounced and longer pointed ears, while Qualinesti ears will often show some hint of the roundedness of their human [Ergothian] ancestry.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  05:34:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

I find pointed ears aesthetically unappealing and prefer not to imagine anything but elves (which I find aesthetically repulsive) having them, even if art has depicted them otherwise.

We're on the same boat.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  05:41:36  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate warcraft elf ears the mostest
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  20:19:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww, but they make such convenient grab-holds! Guard: "Come along, Mr. Elf- we'll have no more of you seducing all our women...." Elf bard: "Oww, oww, oww!"

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  04:53:39  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I limit pointed ears to FEY people, as all fey have pointed ears. I like them to be larger than humans ears, but not stupidly long. I like the ears that are on the Elves of Lord of the Rings a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  05:01:02  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most (all?) of the Fey'ri, and some Tieflings (depending on their specific ancestry) also have pointed ears.

Goblinoids and orcs as well.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 12 Jul 2011 05:11:27
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  05:04:41  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention people of fey descent as well.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  16:56:55  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goblins are fey as well. Not so sure about orcs. I don't think they are.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2011 :  18:43:48  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erendriel Durothil

Goblins are fey as well. Not so sure about orcs. I don't think they are.

In some places in popular culture, and to some degree in Tolkien, goblins/orcs might be considered corrupted fey. But not in D&D.

In D&D, goblins are in the class of "goblinoids" which also includes hobgoblins and bugbears. At one time in older rulesets, orcs were included in the "goblinoids" but this isn't the case any longer.

"Fey" includes things elvish and the faeries, nereids and pixies and the like. Goblins and their kin were never accounted as "fey" in D&D.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  02:53:01  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph, I read somewhere that golbins were from Faerie, but oh well. I just checked the wiki (I know, it's not always to be trusted....) and it said they were natural humanoids. I just checked the wiki again under the Feywild/Faerie page and it says that the natives to Faerie are Fey and Goblins......
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  03:30:56  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fomorian giants and Firbolgs are also in the Feywild.

From Manual of the Planes, 4E:
quote:
Goblins

Goblins are not fey, but they are hardy, fast breeding, and well established in the rugged corners of the Feywild. Over the course of centuries, goblin armies from the mortal world have established many strongholds in the Feywild...

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 15 Jul 2011 03:31:33
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  04:25:41  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I wish I had the manual of the planes. When I read through it at Barnes and Noble, I mainly concentrated on the Eladrin :3
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2011 :  05:31:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gruumsh One-Eye has pointy ears, and he most certainly is not and has never been any sort of sissy fey creature. Most fiends and many extraplanars have pointed ears, including many planar/outsider humans.

D&D goblins and kobolds were perhaps loosely modelled after those of folklore (and even Tolkien) back in the First Gygaxian Age, but it seems to me that they've evolved into something else entirely shaped by popular media images and D&D itself. Orc origins are also unclear, even Tolkien presented several conflicting versions within his work ... and in a way, the many impossible and conflicting D&D mythologies explaining the origins of elves and dwarves and orcs and men in some antediluvian era forgotten to history on any world is itself the most realistic and ideal manner of presenting such stuff in the setting.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2011 :  04:11:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Some fiends with pointed ears look okay because the ears serve to look like horns.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2011 :  11:33:41  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

I agree completely, Wooly. Certain art of late makes elves look like they're half-rabbit or something. I don't get it. They look... well. Bad. We'll say that and move along. And when I think of pointed ears on elves, I think of Lord of the Rings style. Classy.

So do I *laughs out loud*

On topic: interesting stuff.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000