Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms ebooks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  15:51:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just found out via Google Alert that four more of my Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for release in e-book format! That's a total of seven coming between now and the end of September.

Rather than retype the schedule, I will refer those interested to the Upcoming Releases page of my website:

http://www.elainecunningham.com/upcoming-releases/

Please feel free to use this thread to list other upcoming FR books. Or better yet, perhaps a sticky thread that could be updated as new books are scheduled? Gentlemen Moderators, have you any thoughts on this matter?

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2011 16:04:19

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  16:03:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Please feel free to use this thread to list other upcoming FR books. Or better yet, perhaps a sticky thread that could be updated as new books are scheduled? Gentlemen Moderators, have you any thoughts on this matter?

'Tis a splendid idea. In fact, I think it would be more than appropriate just to utilise this handy scroll.

Thus...

*The Sage casts Adhere Scroll*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2011 16:05:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  17:18:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a huge fan of the eBooks, but if these are reasonably priced, I will buy them.

Do you know what the pricing schedule will be, Elaine? And do you know if any of your other FR books are going to be converted to eBook format?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  21:41:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the schedule for my books:

August 23, 2011: Starlight & Shadows trilogy
Daughter of the Drow
Tangled Webs
Windwalker

September 9, 2011: City of Splendors (written with Ed Greenwood)

September 20, 2011: ”Songs & Swords” series
Elfshadow
Elfsong
Silver Shadows

I don't konw when or if my other FR books will be released as ebooks, but I'll pass along info as I get it.

The price for each of these books on Amazon.com is $6.39. This strikes me as rather high. I can understand why Del Rel is pricing the Star Wars books at paperback prices, because those books are still in print and therefore ebooks are, in effect, in competition with the printed books. All of the FR books listed above are out of print.

Everything I read suggests that the sweet spot for ebook pricing is between $1.99 and $3.99. I'm a little concerned that the current price will discourage new readers from taking a shot at a new writer/series/setting, as well as the long-time readers who have the physical books but might have picked up the ebooks at a lower price.

Observations? Opinions?

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 07 Jul 2011 21:43:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  21:57:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't konw when or if my other FR books will be released as ebooks, but I'll pass along info as I get it.

Much appreciated!

quote:

The price for each of these books on Amazon.com is $6.39. This strikes me as rather high. I can understand why Del Rel is pricing the Star Wars books at paperback prices, because those books are still in print and therefore ebooks are, in effect, in competition with the printed books. All of the FR books listed above are out of print.

Everything I read suggests that the sweet spot for ebook pricing is between $1.99 and $3.99. I'm a little concerned that the current price will discourage new readers from taking a shot at a new writer/series/setting, as well as the long-time readers who have the physical books but might have picked up the ebooks at a lower price.

Observations? Opinions?

In my opinion, there is no reason eBook prices should be similar to physical book prices. Part of the price of a physical book includes production and distribution, and those costs -- particularly distribution -- are lower for an eBook. With lower costs for the publisher and seller, the price for the reader should be correspondingly lower.

Not only that, but I'll pay more for something I can hold in my hand than I will for a collection of 1s and 0s.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  23:24:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Traditional publishers are in a quandary about how to price ebooks partly because they are (they say) afraid of making paper-and-ink books and brick-and-mortar bookstores die off even faster than they already are. Since I'm sentimental about those things, I sympathize to a degree. But it's shortsighted to charge consumers an inflated price that implicitly includes costs which have nothing to do with the creation of an ebook. It's also shortsighted to lowball writers on their royalty rates when the publisher doesn't have to cover most of the costs of traditional publishing, yet that too is something that many publishers would like to get away with.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  23:51:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Too true.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  00:51:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An eBook that catches my attention in any way is very likely to be purchased by me at the $1.99-3.99 price. Any that cost more than 50% of paperback/hardback....is almost sure to not be purchased, any and that cost more, like the latest Dresden Files who's eBook is 28 cents more than hardcover....100% turn me off of that publisher? It's one I will but at a half price book store in the future, which is a loss to publisher and author.

If realms novels were 2.99-3.99.. I would switch to eBook format, and likely purchase even the ones that don't catch my fancy and quite merit the $8 paperback price.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  02:07:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Observations? Opinions?
I can certainly understanding a $6.39 [or, even slightly higher] price tag for e-book versions of still in-print [and even, maybe, new releases that are solely e-book only with no print edition available] books.

Overall, however, I'm just happy with the lower price ranges for e-books. As an Australian, I usually have to endure longer release schedules [sometimes stretching weeks or even months], as well as insanely priced paper/hard -backs, due to the fact that AUS-distributors -- understandably -- must place their standard shipping/distributing rates on just about every foreign-title brought into the country. Which, unfortunately, hits my gold coin purse very hard when several books I may wish to purchase, are released in the same month.

So I, for one, welcome the expansion of producing e-books for publishers that haven't experimented much with the practice previously. Not only are the prices certainly encouraging, but the ease of the download option, means no lengthy period of waiting for a book to hit my shores.

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Jul 2011 02:10:40
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  02:12:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm with the consensus here. That's a rather high price, considering all of them are not "newly" released. It's not an isolated case, though. I've seen higher; some are even insanely priced--- the same as their hardbound editions, $16.00 (like Feist's novels).

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  02:46:43  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I confirm your suspicion. I have a Kindle and love reading eBooks. But prices are not atractive at all. The price range you mention is precisely the range that makes me "consume" eBooks without giving it a second thought. Just buy. And read, And enjoy. From 6 USD on my disposition to buy decreases heavily.

Although it is not rational, I would spend more money on FR eBooks in total if they were less expensive per unit.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  19:24:19  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Hi Elaine,

I confirm your suspicion. I have a Kindle and love reading eBooks. But prices are not atractive at all. The price range you mention is precisely the range that makes me "consume" eBooks without giving it a second thought. Just buy. And read, And enjoy. From 6 USD on my disposition to buy decreases heavily.

Although it is not rational, I would spend more money on FR eBooks in total if they were less expensive per unit.

That's the way a lot of people think, Skychrome.

I'm a firm believer in less-than-a-latte pricing. If an ebook is $2.99, it's an easy impulse purchase. At $3.99, people will pause for a moment to think about it.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  02:27:04  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm a firm believer in less-than-a-latte pricing. If an ebook is $2.99, it's an easy impulse purchase. At $3.99, people will pause for a moment to think about it.

Hi Elaine,
exactly. I also have to say that -being a very rational person- it causes me real pleasure to make impulsive book purchases whenever I find prices like this, which is unfortunately not often. My impulsive price range ends around 4,50 USD I'd say.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  21:20:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Hi Elaine,

Total agreement....if an eBook is over $3...I would rather have a nice cold frappachino and re-read Elsong for free

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  01:16:42  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine

I recently returned a gifted eReader for the sole reason that most of the books I read are Forgotten Realms novels and they are not available. I am elated to hear your books are coming out as I have wanted to read the Elfsong books. I love the Harper series! I hope the old out of print books all become available eventually.

As for the pricing, it is ridiculous to charge the same amount as a physical book for an electronic version. With pirating as it is, over charging should be the last thing you'd want to do and the "sweet spot" price you mention is fantastic. I would buy all the FR novels ever printed at that price...what a Kindle that would be.

Thank you for the update.
Go to Top of Page

lolotters
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  21:37:12  Show Profile Send lolotters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been coming to the Candlekeep site for a little while now and this post finally compelled me to create an account! I got a Nook for Christmas and have almost stopped buying what my mother calls DTB's or Dead Tree Books. The only place I can find, locally, for FR books are the thrift shops and second hand stores. I have no problem with this except there are very rarely any FR books at all. When I see them, I grab them up, and of course 50 cents is an incredible price. However, I want to read more than one book per month so I buy them for my Nook. $6.39 may seem like quite a bit, but the only FR book I've bought new was Bury Elminster Deep at a whooping 16 dollars for the e*book, so to me 7 bucks seems like a pretty good price in comparison. I'm happy to pay it, and thrilled when I hear 'new' books are coming out in e*book format. (Only to be dismayed when most of these titles fail to appear on the Barnes and Noble site, drat you less popular technology!) Of course if they were cheaper I would never object, but as it stands, the current price tag doesn't give me pause.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  13:49:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice! Any new Forgotten Realms projects in the works for you??

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  23:28:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday (September 20) was the release day for the ebook "reprints" of Elfshadow, Elfsong, and Silver Shadows, just in time for the 20th anniversary of Elfshadow's publication. :)

Mod Edit: Corrected slight typo.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Sep 2011 01:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  06:19:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine - can you say if there are any plans to publish these ebooks in other formats ... formats which don't involve monopazon/kindle?

Wooly - I do understand (and generally prefer) the value of a physical book over an ebook, but if you think about it all they really are is a bunch of paper full of scribbled inkblots, no? How's that inherently superior to a collection of 1s and 0s? The content matters more than the medium.

Pricing doesn't seem as much of an issue for me (though, of course, I'm not the one earning a living by writing ebooks). Although I do think that lower prices will tend to discourage piracy, since more people will justify paying for the genuine/legit article. It could be argued that underpricing leads to undervaluing, consumers are trained to think in terms of equating value and quality with price and brand ... and Elaine Cunningham is established as a respected brand.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Sep 2011 06:24:53
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  17:37:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Elaine - can you say if there are any plans to publish these ebooks in other formats ... formats which don't involve monopazon/kindle?

Arak, they are also available for Nook, which means they're in ePub format and can be read on a wide variety of devices. Here's a link to my page on the Nook Bookstore:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/elaine-cunningham?keyword=elaine+cunningham&store=ebook

I just checked the iTunes store; the FR books are not yet available there. I don't know if WotC has plans to sell through Apple, but I hope they do. My husband Bill LOVES his iPads and checks periodically to see which of my books have found their way into the iTunes store.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 22 Sep 2011 17:40:30
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  18:28:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yesterday (September 20) was the release day for the ebook "reprints" of Elfshadow, Elfsong, and Silver Shadows, just in time for the 20th anniversary of Elfshadow's publication. :)

Mod Edit: Corrected slight typo.

Awesome, I hope new readers take the opportunity to check out these classics in eBook form!
I had hoped (even knowing the current pricing structure, it didnt hurt to hope for lower $)to purchase the ebooks myself, but already owning the hardcopys, I just can't justify another $19.17 to re-purchase them now.
But I heartily endorse them to anyone not already owning them.

Hopefully Councilors and Kings get the eBook treatment! That gem of a trilogy deserves to be back out there.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  19:54:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
Awesome, I hope new readers take the opportunity to check out these classics in eBook form!
I had hoped (even knowing the current pricing structure, it didnt hurt to hope for lower $)to purchase the ebooks myself, but already owning the hardcopys, I just can't justify another $19.17 to re-purchase them now.
But I heartily endorse them to anyone not already owning them.

Hopefully Councilors and Kings get the eBook treatment! That gem of a trilogy deserves to be back out there.

Thanks, Red Walker! I'll take all the hearty endorsements I can get.

I don't disagree with your comments on pricing. I'd like to think that people consider $7(ish) to be a fair price for a new (or new to them) story, but for those who've already read the books and are considering getting a duplicate in electronic format, the price is rather steep.

I hope Counselors & Kings will be released as ebooks, but I have no information one way or another. As soon as I know, you'll know!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  16:56:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those watching WotC's trek into ebooks, my ebook-only release SHADOWBANE is now available!

http://erikscottdebie.com/shadowbane/

Amazon seems to have crashed regarding my particular book. Maybe it's just very popular?

Definitely available on Nook.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  17:54:35  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today is the ebook release of Dreams Spheres, book V of the Forgotten Realms Songs & Swords series. In this story, Danilo Thann and Arilyn Moonblade learn that the anti-elf bias of Waterdeep’s nobility has reached a new and deadly level. For more info, here’s a link to the Amazon.com page.

There’s a lot going on in this story–perhaps a bit too much. Readers are more divided in their opinions of this book than any of my other Realms stories, with the possible exception of Windwalker and its unconventional ending. Whatever your opinion, I’d love to hear your thoughts. If you prefer not to post in a public forum, drop me an email at elainecunningham@cox.net.

It’s great to see the backlist coming out in ebook format. I hope you’re enjoying revisiting old friends, or getting acquainted with “new” ones.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2011 :  18:23:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you forgot the link, Elaine.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Spheres-Swords-Forgotten-ebook/dp/B005K98QN4

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Oct 2011 18:24:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  12:00:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just learned that four more of my backlist Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for e-book release on December 27:

Thornhold
The Counselors & Kings trilogy: The Magehound, The Floodgate, The Wizardwar
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  15:24:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just learned that four more of my backlist Forgotten Realms books are scheduled for e-book release on December 27:

Thornhold

Nice! And just in time for people to download them to the new e-readers they got for Christmas!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2011 :  15:40:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thornhold

I hope the Lady K is reading this, because my Sagely-sense is tingling.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  04:37:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Evermeet is scheduled for release on January 2, 2012.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  05:01:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Evermeet is scheduled for release on January 2, 2012.

An electronic [and search-enabled] copy of Evermeet? Yes, indeedy-do!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  16:54:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Four more FR ebooks released this week: Thornhold, Magehound, Floodgate, and Wizardwar.

Here's a link to my website, which has handy links for all four books' pages on the Nook and Kindle bookstores. :)

http://tinyurl.com/d5parmz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000