Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tethyamar information sought
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Khondar
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  19:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Khondar's Homepage Send Khondar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone provide some information on the Tethyamar realm such as:

1. Cannon names for locations - such as Gates, Bridges, Halls, etc.

2. Cannon (or non-cannon) names for major/minor mines or locations within the Tethyamar area.

3. Other information that might be helpful for doing a home-made map.

I'm currently doing a CC3 5 mile x 5 mile topo that's (IMO) turning out pretty good. I just need some more information to speed up the overland map.

The Realms maps that I've seen of places Dwarven don't make much sense to me - mainly due to size. A Dwarf realm that's existed for 1000+ years should have more than 20 rooms and much more that some 100 odd feet of tunnels - at least I think so.

So I'm going the way of Moria and the wonderful sourcebook for that Dwarven realm.

Once the topo is complete I plan on tackling the interior...

So any help on the above items would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Khondar
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  03:43:36  Show Profile  Visit Khondar's Homepage Send Khondar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found the following information for Tethyamar..

From Grand History of the Realms - a reference for the following sites:

Blackrock Gate
Dorn's Needle
Helgrinn’s Arch

Can anyone else point me toward more references?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  05:52:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sources for Tethyamar:-

- The magic item Grimjaw in DRAGON Magazine #89, p. 18 [reprinted in FR4 and Encyclopedia Magical Vol. 3]
- 1e FRCS, Cyclopedia of the Realms, p. 54
- FR11 - Dwarves Deep, p. 58-60 and 64
- FR13 - Anauroch, p. 5 -- I thought about suggesting that the dwarves of Tethyamar could perhaps be related to the part dwarven d'tarig.
- DRAGON Magazine #184, p. 24
- 2e FRCS: A Grand Tour of the Realms, p. 8, 33, 37, 41, 50, 63, 124
- 2e FRCS: Running the Realms, p. 14-18, 21
- The Dalelands, p. 48 and 57
- Ruins of Zhentil Keep, p. 7, 27-30
- Cormanthyr, p. 32-40
- Demihuman Deities, p. 61
- Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark, p. 74,
- DRAGON Magazine #277, p. 90
- 3e FRCS, p. 127, 138, 162, 267, 268-271
- Lords of Darkness [3e], p. 103-107
- Lost Empires of Faerûn

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  23:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Khondar

The Realms maps that I've seen of places Dwarven don't make much sense to me - mainly due to size. A Dwarf realm that's existed for 1000+ years should have more than 20 rooms and much more that some 100 odd feet of tunnels - at least I think so.

If your speaking about the map found in Lords of Darkness it's a map of a "small mine entrance." It's not meant to be the whole of Tethyamar, but just one of it's small, outlying mines.

I've done some work on Tethyamar as well as the Brightblade dwarves clanhold in Anathar's Dell in southern Daggerdale (I made them a clan that was exiled from Tethyamar prior to it's downfall), but none of it's canon. I'm not sure if you'd be interested in any of the material or not. Let me know.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Khondar
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  02:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Khondar's Homepage Send Khondar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

If your speaking about the map found in Lords of Darkness it's a map of a "small mine entrance." It's not meant to be the whole of Tethyamar, but just one of it's small, outlying mines.

Not that map in particular - just Dwarven maps in general. Being a fan of all things Dwarven I'd love more detailed maps, but no soup for me.

Thanks for the offer on your information - I'm in no hurry to finish my map so it might be awhile till I get back with you.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  18:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take your time. The information is on my computer, and iosn't going anywhere.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  22:38:04  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Take your time. The information is on my computer, and iosn't going anywhere.

Hi Halidan ...

I just sent you a private sitemail regarding your homebrew work on Tethymar, Anathar's Dell, etc.

Sounds wonderful! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  17:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've done some work on Tethyamar as well as the Brightblade dwarves clanhold in Anathar's Dell in southern Daggerdale (I made them a clan that was exiled from Tethyamar prior to it's downfall), but none of it's canon. I'm not sure if you'd be interested in any of the material or not. Let me know.

Sounds delicious to me.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  04:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey there Halidan, I would be very interested in your Tethyamar and Brightblade dwarves work. If it's still possible, I'd love to have a look.

Have you by chance seen the stuff done at http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/daggerdale/daggerdale.php? It's been very useful for me.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  21:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just thumbed through 'Dwarves Deep' and I wonder why the Iron House, Ghellin King-in-Exile and Tethyamar are only briefly mentioned? I'm designing an adventure in which the PCs either seek to aid or hinder Ghellin in reclaiming the mines/kingdom so it's kind of liberating to not be shackled too much by lore but then I'm afraid I'm missing something :/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  00:19:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a write-up of a few Tethyamar details in my thread in the Chamber of Sages, as did Ed more recently also.

In my "Soargar's Legacy" article in Dragon Magazine #277, in the write-up for the sword Sarghathuld, I wrote about an attempt to retake the Mines of Tethyamar by the Mithril Legion.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 07 Aug 2013 00:20:11
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  08:24:05  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
go to Google search and type site:candlekeep.com Tethyamar Ed Greenwood

on your search results open any relevant page in a new tab, use Control + F and enter your keyword like Tethyamar and then use Control + G to scan through the entire page for all references to the keyword. i use firefox when doing this.

it's how i search the entire site for things. hope it helps.

that should get you Ed and THO's replies about Tethyamar, as there were some last fall or winter i think. also Mr. Krashos has some pretty awesome lore about Tethyamar on his scroll also.

here's hoping we get some great detail on that place for 5E. i think it would make for a great, massive, "undermountain" like in detail dungeon near the Dales if Myth Drannor is going to be up and running. i love the old undermountain boxed set Ed did up for 2E.

Edited by - Eilserus on 07 Aug 2013 08:31:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000