Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite 3.5 Class
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mitchellboeck
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  18:05:41  Show Profile Send mitchellboeck a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What is your favorite 3.5 class? You can also post what you voted and tell me why.

Choices:

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard
Fighter
Druid
Paladin
Monk
Ranger

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - mitchellboeck on 30 Jun 2011 18:48:32

mitchellboeck
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  18:20:39  Show Profile Send mitchellboeck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose monk just because of all the new things they can do as they level up. It keeps it very interesting and makes me excited to level up.
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  13:05:21  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Paladin. The class I always love to play, but never have had the luxury of playing more than a handful of sessions.

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  13:20:56  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barbarian & Bard

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  13:33:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Paladin too. Even with all the silly restrictions on your friends and code of conduct, the class is still lots of fun to role-play as well as roll-play. And they make pretty awesome damage dealers too!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  14:52:41  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monk...
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  16:24:03  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druid and Monk, both powerful

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  17:54:42  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paladin, for the same reason that Diffan mentions.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  18:03:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizard without a doubt. My whole love of the game revolves around magic and its versatility, and wizards with their ability to expand their known spells are just wonderful. Now, the question of which class to multi-class into and which prestige classes to use.... now that can lead me down many a different road.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  18:44:41  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think in terms of Class. that said, I have many rediculously multiclassedcharacters, and scores of characters who break all typical ideas of their class. =w=

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

mitchellboeck
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  20:09:27  Show Profile Send mitchellboeck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to write your favorite multi-class characters too that would be more then fine. I'm trying to figure out which class I would have the most fun playing and it all helps.
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  20:29:38  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave my answer, and I'm satisfied with it. :) I like characters who don't fit in with class models at all. I simply don't tink in terms of Class.

and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  21:36:25  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ranger, because it's some kind of Jack of all Traits (AND stealthy!).

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  17:15:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Of just those basic classes, Rogue. Almost every one of my characters, it seems, has a level of Rogue, for the massive amount of skill point, class skills, and the +1d6 Sneak Attack, which is always handy. Of the classes in other books, Beguiler is my favorite- it's a Rogue with magic. What's not to like?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  17:37:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bards, definitely. I love their versatility, and they have nearly as many skill points as rogues. (Personally, I think they should actually have more, given their jack-of-all-trades role, but that's just me...) And they are so much fun to play!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  15:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rogue. Or more specifically, rogue/paladin.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  15:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take wizard for sure, but just at the end of 3.5 i had an opportunity to play a binder for a few sessions and I fell in love.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  15:53:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Bards, definitely. I love their versatility, and they have nearly as many skill points as rogues. (Personally, I think they should actually have more, given their jack-of-all-trades role, but that's just me...) And they are so much fun to play!

Rather than rambling like I usually do, I'll simply say that... What Alystra said!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  18:01:46  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Of just those basic classes, Rogue. Almost every one of my characters, it seems, has a level of Rogue, for the massive amount of skill point, class skills, and the +1d6 Sneak Attack, which is always handy. Of the classes in other books, Beguiler is my favorite- it's a Rogue with magic. What's not to like?

Full ack.
But actually I prefer the magic thing to sneak attacks or even more skillpoints, when just using core basic-classes. And since I just have no knack for that music/art thing with bards – it's the ranger. :)

Pallys are cool, as well, but I can't play them properly, I think. I'm too much in love with the occasional intrigue, I suppose… ;)

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  18:12:29  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted rouge because I love make-up :-)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  18:18:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

I voted rouge because I love make-up :-)

And one of D&D's most common misspellings strikes again!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  18:19:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a huge fan of the sorcerer, myself. Most of the benefits of being a wizard, without the added annoyance of trying to make sure you memorize the right spells.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  18:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

Pallys are cool, as well, but I can't play them properly, I think. I'm too much in love with the occasional intrigue, I suppose… ;)
That's why I play rogue/paladins. They're holy warriors tip-toeing the line between right and wrong, sneaking around and smiting evil-doers. I can also lie right to the DM's face, so long as I can justify that every word I'm saying is true--I'm just deceiving the NPC as to my true purpose.

(I guess it's also because I have one in my FR novels, though he was a 3.5 character first, back in the day.)

You might try a ranger/paladin too, if you're keen on rangers. That's a cool idea.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  20:21:51  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
They're holy warriors tip-toeing the line between right and wrong, sneaking around and smiting evil-doers. I can also lie right to the DM's face, so long as I can justify that every word I'm saying is true--I'm just deceiving the NPC as to my true purpose.

I tried this in my last (or actual? We recently restarted completely from scratch) group with a Beguiler (not aiming for "the greater good" but for the goals of the party) and the other players went mad, actually. "Oh my god, you're not speaking completely the truth to some thievelord (we others have just severely insulted) to save the party's lives! I HATE your character!"

Ranger/Paladin is some interesting idea. Maybe a follower of Chauntea? ;)

---
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  20:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

Ranger/Paladin is some interesting idea. Maybe a follower of Chauntea? ;)
Yeah--like a hero who lives as a ranger but is secretly sworn to a good deity (such as Chauntea, Selune, Mielikki, etc). Or else a former paladin who has "retired" and become a ranger.

Check out the exalted prestige class in the Player's Guide to Faerun (whose name escapes me just at the moment).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  20:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Check out the exalted prestige class in the Player's Guide to Faerun (whose name escapes me just at the moment).

The Harper Paragon?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  23:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

quote:

The Harper Paragon?

That's the one. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  01:28:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm a huge fan of the sorcerer, myself. Most of the benefits of being a wizard, without the added annoyance of trying to make sure you memorize the right spells.

I like sorcerers too. In fact, in my FR the origin of the sorcerer is very similar to what Ed outlined in Temptation of Elminster. I've established a possible link between sorcerers and dragon/draconic bloodlines -- which hints at where the sorcerers get their dragonblood from.

In the novel itself, it notes the dragonsblood experiments undertaken by Cordorlar, in the waning days of Netheril.

I didn't stop there, however. I went further and allowed several other select magical creatures of significant arcane ability to also become the progenitors of alternate sorcerer bloodlines -- especially those with their own innate spell -casting/generating ability.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  13:55:50  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted sorcerer too because I like their fluff about raw power although wizards are more powerfull
Go to Top of Page

Gavinfoxx
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  19:43:07  Show Profile Send Gavinfoxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's all the rest of the base classes? And you misspelled Rogue...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2011 :  20:07:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

A strangely unexpected choice coming from someone using the name of Faerun's greatest Arcanist.

As for my choice, wizard most definitely! (Why bring a knife when you can conjure it out of thin air?!)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000