Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Female Necromancers of Note
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  20:35:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zothique by Clark Ashton Smith has a few. And Akivasha from Conan.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  04:52:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Aye. And fairly recently, I got to know Isyllt Iskaldur, a spy, assassin, and necromancer featured in Amanda Downum's The Necromancer Chronicles. She's a disaster-magnet, probably the main thing that makes her always entertaining.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31696 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  05:10:45  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I'd forgotten to mention Abby van Alstine, the title character of The Necromancer comic book series published by Top Cow in 2005. That was always one of my favourite [and, unfortunately, short lived] Top Cow series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  15:52:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not archmage level, but Meralaine (a Chessantan necromancer featured in the Brotherhood of the Griffon series) carried herself quite splendidly in the many wars she fought with the brotherhood. And it is nice to see another well-fleshed-out mage from a realm that abhors magic and wizards.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  13:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not certain she counts as 'of note' but...

in Mel Odom's Threat From The Sea the paladin, Glawynn speaks of his twin sister, Cellayne, who apparently didn't join the family crusading business and chose instead to become a 'powerful necromancer' working the the Zhentarim. I'm not sure if she's mentioned anywhere else though.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Alenis
Seeker

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  11:52:09  Show Profile Send Alenis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Pale Sybil from Final Gate is a necromancer - if I remember correctly.

That's right; she was powerful enough to prove a major threat to Araevin Teshuur AND his entire party. What was she supposed to be, exactly? If I remember correctly, she was a necromancer, but also some type of vampire that fed not on blood, but on magic & life energy/soul.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1614 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  05:58:49  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There's an elaboration of the mortal Kiaransalee written by Rip Van Wormer over on planewalker.com. It's not entirely canon, but it does provide some rather thought-provoking stuff on the nature of necromancy.

Sage, can you provide a direct link? I'm searching for it but havent found it yet.

Nevermind I just found it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 06 Aug 2013 06:02:39
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1577 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  00:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

And here I thought necromancy and lichdom were unpopular with the ladies because it's hard to be a stereotypical Vain Sorceress when you're sporting that skeletal look. To each their own.

Necromancy isn't just about animating the dead.

Bathing in the blood of virgins for that smooth-as-sin skincare, draining the youth and life energy of others to keep you young and stealing the bodies of the young and beautiful as vessels for your immortal soul, when your own body starts to fade, these are all feats of necromancy that have vanity as motivation.

I'm featuring a necromancer in my current campaign, Gula bit Kiqiluttu, who is very much a vain sorceress. Of course, I hope she isn't stereotypical, but she was certainly motivated in her studies of necromancy by a desire to be young and beautiful forever. Granted, she has other goals and motivations and is far from shallow, superficial or simple, but just because she's a conniving criminal mastermind who delves into the forbidden boundaries of life and death, it doesn't mean she has to look like she just crawled out of a mass grave.

Heroin chic is one thing, but La Flaca no es bonita, ese!

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7426 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  03:26:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She'Liika D'Bone is my favorite female necromancer.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2019 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  10:56:01  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

And here I thought necromancy and lichdom were unpopular with the ladies because it's hard to be a stereotypical Vain Sorceress when you're sporting that skeletal look. To each their own.

Necromancy isn't just about animating the dead.

Bathing in the blood of virgins for that smooth-as-sin skincare, draining the youth and life energy of others to keep you young and stealing the bodies of the young and beautiful as vessels for your immortal soul, when your own body starts to fade, these are all feats of necromancy that have vanity as motivation.

I'm featuring a necromancer in my current campaign, Gula bit Kiqiluttu, who is very much a vain sorceress. Of course, I hope she isn't stereotypical, but she was certainly motivated in her studies of necromancy by a desire to be young and beautiful forever. Granted, she has other goals and motivations and is far from shallow, superficial or simple, but just because she's a conniving criminal mastermind who delves into the forbidden boundaries of life and death, it doesn't mean she has to look like she just crawled out of a mass grave.

Heroin chic is one thing, but La Flaca no es bonita, ese!

By any chance is Icelander a female? I'd say this scroll res. counts as necromancy
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

826 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  11:15:30  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the 2e books - the one that describes the Baatle of Bones - has a blurb about two necromancers. One was a 24th level female human necromancer.

Edit: Her name's Phthta Thak.

Edited by - LordofBones on 31 Jul 2018 11:17:14
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7426 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2018 :  04:26:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

One of the 2e books - the one that describes the Baatle of Bones - has a blurb about two necromancers. One was a 24th level female human necromancer.

How the hell do you pronounce that first name? Futhta?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31500 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2018 :  04:34:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

How the hell do you pronounce that first name? Futhta?

Fred. It's a weird dialect.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2019 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2018 :  08:26:24  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sneeze while trying to say it and you'll have it just about right.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2018 :  00:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaaan the Serpent Queen uses necromancy to strong effect in the novel Spellstorm.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2019 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2018 :  00:55:40  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaaan isn't a necromancer, however.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2019 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2018 :  02:42:13  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iggwilv was mentioned earlier - alternately known as Natasha or Tasha (the one with the Hideous Laughter Spell), comes to us from Greyhawk. She is one of the BIG villians of that setting - like - only Iuz and Vecna, both of whom become gods are bigger.

Basic facts about her:

She was the adopted daughter of Baba Yaga - refer to Dragon Magazine 83 for more about that.
She was the apprentice of Zagig Yragerne and a member of the Company of Seven with him, Keoghtom, Murlynd, Nolzur, Quaal, and Heward... They ALL became at least minor gods btw - one of the reason she is believe to be a demigod now as well.
She was Iuz's mother, and the lover/mate of Grazzt, a demonbinder without equal - male or female - and the creator or the Demonomicon.
She is the central villain in several AD&D adventures, and counted among the best of all time (again, according to Dragon Mag)

All that said, she is not a Necromancer. Never was. She did have levels as an illusionist back in the 1st edition rule, but that I assume is because Illusion spells were restricted then...
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2019 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2018 :  02:45:00  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you include Al'Qadim as part of the realms, I'd say that Tisan Balshareska was a kind of necromancer - though that is not specified.

She was seriously badass too.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2018 :  01:33:40  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it matter? One thing about Thay is that women, especially Red Wizards are all Equal reguardless of Sex.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31500 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2018 :  02:57:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

Does it matter? One thing about Thay is that women, especially Red Wizards are all Equal reguardless of Sex.

And this has what to do with women necromancers in the entire setting?

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

826 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2018 :  06:49:23  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

If you include Al'Qadim as part of the realms, I'd say that Tisan Balshareska was a kind of necromancer - though that is not specified.

Tisan was given statistics in 2e. She's a wizard 20/cleric 15. I guess in 3e she'd be something like wizard 5, cleric 3, mystic theurge 10, geomancer 10.

Geomancer's a terrible, terrible prestige class though.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  01:51:05  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Does it matter? In Thay there are probably more Necromancers than every where else combined. In Thay it doesn't matter if you are Male or Female or Alive or Undead or Homosexual or Hetrosexual or Unisexual or Asexual or other. It only matters if you are a Magic User and Red Wizard in Particular. I do wonder if Lawful Good persons could be Undead or Homosexual or Unisexual or if that would make you evil? Being Chaotic Evil there are no such restrictions.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

826 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  03:20:16  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>OP asks about female necromancers

>WHO CARES, THAY STRONK!

Oh Thraskir.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2019 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  04:12:26  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Tisan was given statistics in 2e. She's a wizard 20/cleric 15. I guess in 3e she'd be something like wizard 5, cleric 3, mystic theurge 10, geomancer 10.

Geomancer's a terrible, terrible prestige class though.

In 2nd edition Al Qadim - there was no "necromancer." There were other wizard kits that were similar (ghul channeling negative energy for example), but a necromancer would be just called outland wizard.

Tizan's whole scheme was to resurrect and create a new circle of 9 long dead geomancers. Very necro
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31500 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2018 :  04:58:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Does it matter? In Thay there are probably more Necromancers than every where else combined. In Thay it doesn't matter if you are Male or Female or Alive or Undead or Homosexual or Hetrosexual or Unisexual or Asexual or other. It only matters if you are a Magic User and Red Wizard in Particular. I do wonder if Lawful Good persons could be Undead or Homosexual or Unisexual or if that would make you evil? Being Chaotic Evil there are no such restrictions.

Okay, first of all, I don't know where sexuality came into this discussion, but it can go right back out of the discussion. There is no correlation between sexuality and alignment. Period.

Secondly, the original poster asked explicitly for "other female necromancers of note" and all you've offered is that there are likely some female necromancers in Thay. This does not indicate that any are noteworthy, and it certainly doesn't mention any that are. It did not contribute to the discussion.

We get that you're a fan of Thay. There's no need to mention that at every opportunity, especially when it's not even relevant to the topic.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Aug 2018 05:01:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000