Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Female Necromancers of Note
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  21:23:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I'm guessing that evil spellcasting females in D&D are typically portrayed as dark priestesses of one sort or another. Even the goddesses Loviatar, Talona, Shar, and Bashaba are partly designed around sex appeal.

Females in fantasy, in general, are designed around sex appeal. They don't need to be in D&D or a goddess. And to this I react:

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to look at attractive females, particularly if they're not wearing a lot. But sometimes, in fantasy and sci-fi, it just gets ridiculous.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Jun 2011 21:27:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  02:32:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I'm guessing that evil spellcasting females in D&D are typically portrayed as dark priestesses of one sort or another. Even the goddesses Loviatar, Talona, Shar, and Bashaba are partly designed around sex appeal.

Females in fantasy, in general, are designed around sex appeal. They don't need to be in D&D or a goddess. And to this I react:

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to look at attractive females, particularly if they're not wearing a lot. But sometimes, in fantasy and sci-fi, it just gets ridiculous.

I'm very much inclined to agree. And a perfect example is the "pin-up" of the Black Widow in an old BATTLETECH supplement. It just doesn't "work."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  03:33:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, yeah. Besides the Bounty Hunter was better anyhow.

Perfect examples are all over D&D, lol almost every novel cover.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  03:58:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MrHedgehog,

Indeed, 24th level is high. But compared to the levels of their male counterparts (Sammaster, Szass Tam, Semmemon, Larloch...) it almost amounts to nothing.

Thay has always been gender-equal. That's one of the things I like about their society. Though the original Zulkirs were all males (from the very first Zulirate, which, if I remember it right, was never published, but Ed was so kind as to share it with us), when the females rose to power, they rose to power (period). Their foes or rivals were there to oppose them not because of their gender, but simply because they too wanted to rise in station and power. Of course, that the most powerful of them happens to be a male (Szass Tam, and the one before him who vanished without trace and whose name I can't recall atm) might be seen as another stereotyping.

-------

Brimstone and Kajehase,

Thanks! She looks quite interesting. Great art and a really beautiful woman. I'll try to find time to research more about her. (Did I mention I love necromancers? My books have a considerable number of them.)

-------

LK,

I wouldn't count Kiaransalee, in the same way I don't count Mystra when discussing about the most powerful spellcasters on Toril.

-------

Arik,

Not surprising. The path to lichdom requires a considerable knowledge and skills on necromantic magic. When they become liches, it's only natural that they continue their study on necromancy. That doesn't mean though that for female necromancers to be quite formidable they have to be liches. But, whether we like it or not, lichdom rather appears to be the pinnacle of necromancy.

------

Wooly and Sage,

I think that depends on what sub-category of Fantasy we're talking about. Remember, Fantasy is a huge umbrella encompassing a plethora of subgenres. In Urban Fantasy, seeing those nearly naked females are quite normal. Unless modern civilizations adopt a fashion that involves dressing like mummies, we won't see the end of them...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  17:35:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

-I just don't get it, nerds oogling over pictures of Eilistraee, or Lolthite Drow wearing very little. Not only are they not even Humans, but they're cartoons...

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

LK,

I wouldn't count Kiaransalee, in the same way I don't count Mystra when discussing about the most powerful spellcasters on Toril.

-Kiaransalee was once a mortal Necromancer, however.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 07 Jun 2011 17:35:58
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  19:34:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get it either, cartoon women don't interest me at all. Then again, some of those cosplay girls who mimic them are awfully cute.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  02:10:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Kiaransalee was once a mortal Necromancer, however.

There's an elaboration of the mortal Kiaransalee written by Rip Van Wormer over on planewalker.com. It's not entirely canon, but it does provide some rather thought-provoking stuff on the nature of necromancy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  05:35:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

LK,

So was Mystra (Midnight), and Cyric, Kelemvor, Velsharoon, and many others...So, no, I still wouldn't count her. Though I must say she was a quite formidable necromancer during her mortal existence.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  05:51:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Plunging all of Threnody (the planet, not the divine realm) into undeath to draw power from is pretty badass.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 08 Jun 2011 05:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  13:37:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Weren't there female necromancers of note in Halruaa? I remember only two renowned necromancers from the C&K trilogy---Akhlaur and the Archmage of the School of Necromancy.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  18:03:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There might be but if so, none of them were stated. I only pulled out the ones that were given stats.

quote:

Weren't there female necromancers of note in Halruaa? I remember only two renowned necromancers from the C&K trilogy---Akhlaur and the Archmage of the School of Necromancy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  03:42:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It would have been interesting if they were explicitly stated, though. But thanks, Kuje, for those female necromancers you noted. You just saved this (lackadaisical) scribe from doggedly perusing those old tomes.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  17:52:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. :) I made my NPC lists for myself for exactly that reason. Plus, there were a lot of NPC's that I didn't remember even existing.

quote:

It would have been interesting if they were explicitly stated, though. But thanks, Kuje, for those female necromancers you noted. You just saved this (lackadaisical) scribe from doggedly perusing those old tomes.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  19:53:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does Kiaransalee have Chosen? If yes, then they must be a bunch of quite formidable necromancers.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  16:13:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does Kiaransalee have Chosen? If yes, then they must be a bunch of quite formidable necromancers.

I don't know about Chosen, but I know she likes her servants in the module... was it City of the Spider Queen? The one where Maerimydra's getting taken over by followers of Kiaransalee. That was a great module.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  01:44:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If Kiaransalee really has Chosen, shouldn't they be called Dread Mages?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  20:38:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If Kiaransalee really has Chosen, shouldn't they be called Dread Mages?

If I had to pick a name... It'd be "Vengeful Witch"... though I imagine some might change out the W for a B

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  12:36:37  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pale Sybil from Final Gate is a necromancer - if I remember correctly.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  00:12:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Can anyone cite more examples of female necromancers in other settings? Not the ones in a plethora of Urban Fantasy, though.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  02:06:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can anyone cite more examples of female necromancers in other settings? Not the ones in a plethora of Urban Fantasy, though.

Ischade the necromancer in Thieve's World, though she's not the classic necromancer with hordes of undead at their command.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  20:35:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zothique by Clark Ashton Smith has a few. And Akivasha from Conan.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  04:52:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Aye. And fairly recently, I got to know Isyllt Iskaldur, a spy, assassin, and necromancer featured in Amanda Downum's The Necromancer Chronicles. She's a disaster-magnet, probably the main thing that makes her always entertaining.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  05:10:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I'd forgotten to mention Abby van Alstine, the title character of The Necromancer comic book series published by Top Cow in 2005. That was always one of my favourite [and, unfortunately, short lived] Top Cow series.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  15:52:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not archmage level, but Meralaine (a Chessantan necromancer featured in the Brotherhood of the Griffon series) carried herself quite splendidly in the many wars she fought with the brotherhood. And it is nice to see another well-fleshed-out mage from a realm that abhors magic and wizards.

Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  13:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not certain she counts as 'of note' but...

in Mel Odom's Threat From The Sea the paladin, Glawynn speaks of his twin sister, Cellayne, who apparently didn't join the family crusading business and chose instead to become a 'powerful necromancer' working the the Zhentarim. I'm not sure if she's mentioned anywhere else though.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Alenis
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  11:52:09  Show Profile Send Alenis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Pale Sybil from Final Gate is a necromancer - if I remember correctly.

That's right; she was powerful enough to prove a major threat to Araevin Teshuur AND his entire party. What was she supposed to be, exactly? If I remember correctly, she was a necromancer, but also some type of vampire that fed not on blood, but on magic & life energy/soul.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  05:58:49  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There's an elaboration of the mortal Kiaransalee written by Rip Van Wormer over on planewalker.com. It's not entirely canon, but it does provide some rather thought-provoking stuff on the nature of necromancy.

Sage, can you provide a direct link? I'm searching for it but havent found it yet.

Nevermind I just found it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 06 Aug 2013 06:02:39
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  00:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

And here I thought necromancy and lichdom were unpopular with the ladies because it's hard to be a stereotypical Vain Sorceress when you're sporting that skeletal look. To each their own.

Necromancy isn't just about animating the dead.

Bathing in the blood of virgins for that smooth-as-sin skincare, draining the youth and life energy of others to keep you young and stealing the bodies of the young and beautiful as vessels for your immortal soul, when your own body starts to fade, these are all feats of necromancy that have vanity as motivation.

I'm featuring a necromancer in my current campaign, Gula bit Kiqiluttu, who is very much a vain sorceress. Of course, I hope she isn't stereotypical, but she was certainly motivated in her studies of necromancy by a desire to be young and beautiful forever. Granted, she has other goals and motivations and is far from shallow, superficial or simple, but just because she's a conniving criminal mastermind who delves into the forbidden boundaries of life and death, it doesn't mean she has to look like she just crawled out of a mass grave.

Heroin chic is one thing, but La Flaca no es bonita, ese!

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  03:26:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She'Liika D'Bone is my favorite female necromancer.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  10:56:01  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

And here I thought necromancy and lichdom were unpopular with the ladies because it's hard to be a stereotypical Vain Sorceress when you're sporting that skeletal look. To each their own.

Necromancy isn't just about animating the dead.

Bathing in the blood of virgins for that smooth-as-sin skincare, draining the youth and life energy of others to keep you young and stealing the bodies of the young and beautiful as vessels for your immortal soul, when your own body starts to fade, these are all feats of necromancy that have vanity as motivation.

I'm featuring a necromancer in my current campaign, Gula bit Kiqiluttu, who is very much a vain sorceress. Of course, I hope she isn't stereotypical, but she was certainly motivated in her studies of necromancy by a desire to be young and beautiful forever. Granted, she has other goals and motivations and is far from shallow, superficial or simple, but just because she's a conniving criminal mastermind who delves into the forbidden boundaries of life and death, it doesn't mean she has to look like she just crawled out of a mass grave.

Heroin chic is one thing, but La Flaca no es bonita, ese!

By any chance is Icelander a female? I'd say this scroll res. counts as necromancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000