Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 About dwarven naming conventions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  18:32:23  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Loosely based on FR11, I’ve been trying a few naming conventions for dwarves.
Breaking it down into variations as a family name, familiar name, full name, surface name.
Examples;

Family Name:
-Torm Stonehammer, son of Dorn, grandson of Aligar Garn
-Durl Stonebreaker, son of Dorak
-Donara Stonebreaker, Daul of Abrin
-Blackstone

Familiar name: (to other dwarves in the same community)
-Torm the younger
-Durl the Steadfast
-Donara Stonebreaker, Daul of Abrin
-Blackstone the Decadent

Full name with multiple titles: (very formal)
Blackstone the Decadent, Blood of Shanat, Blade of the Brightaxe, the Heart of the Dragon

Surface names: (to travelers or those non-dwarves on the surface on the surface)
Torm of Everlund
Durl of the Dwarves
Donara Stone
Max Blackstone

I have encountered players that just come up with the worst names. Recently a player came up with the name: Glittertunnel … yeah, even at 40 my immaturity went places with that one. (Though the worst character names ever were done a friend back in college: Harley Dwarvenson and Elfin John) I understand every character is an expression of its player, but for continuity sake, I was hoping for some type of convention.

Opinions? Suggestions? How do you handle such things?

"Why is the torch burning blue?"

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  23:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the past several years I've been compiling what I hope will eventually be a master list of dwarven names in the Realms, subdivided by subrace. One of the things I've discovered is that in most sources, "house" and "clan" are pretty much inter-changeable. Both, however, are made up of families. So you would have "Dorn Auricairn of Clan/Family Brightblade." If necessary, they would throw in place of residence as well.

That tends to be the most standard, but as you've no doubt seen, there's a whole lot of variety. The fact that dwarves are in-canon reticent about revealing anything personal to outsiders doesn't help any. So sometimes you'll have their parentage thrown in. Many times the only kind of surname a dwarf has is something obviously assumed, like "Qarwill the Stoat."

My general rule of thumb is that every dwarf has a family name and is part of a house/clan, even if we don't have the least idea what they are. And they can also recite at least their recent lineage, including any notable ancestors, if you really want them to. But for the most part, they'll settle for either just the family name, just the clan name, or some sobriquet.

Which, yes, makes things somewhat confusing. But that's the way it is in canon, so I figure trying to come up with a unified system is probably pointless.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  08:29:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gouf

I have encountered players that just come up with the worst names. Recently a player came up with the name: Glittertunnel … yeah, even at 40 my immaturity went places with that one. (Though the worst character names ever were done a friend back in college: Harley Dwarvenson and Elfin John) I understand every character is an expression of its player, but for continuity sake, I was hoping for some type of convention.

Opinions? Suggestions? How do you handle such things?

On the issue of lowbrow dwarven names, just remember that the great and the good of the Realms have gone there before - Ebenezer Stoneshaft, anyone?

Personally, I prefer to have "non-silly" or "non-pun" names (a bad offender in this respect was Paul Jacquays in I12-Egg of the Phoenix, which featured an NPC names Mikael Gorchabeff). It depends on his serious the game is supposed to be. I try to maintain a Realms-flavour, and racial flavours for the races. No elves named Jake. No dwarves names Susan. On the other hand, the Old Grey Box stated that a character can basically pick its own name, regardless of the name(s) it was given. In the face of silly names, however, I'd have NPCs react in appropriate ways (which can range from indifference to mockery).
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  13:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I rather like Ebenezer Stoneshaft. "Stoneshaft" seems like a perfect dwarven double entendre, and "Ebenezer" is an older-English name, which harks back to the dwarven myths on Earth that D&D dwarves are based on.

Runabout Kickastone, however...

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  15:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Actually, I rather like Ebenezer Stoneshaft. "Stoneshaft" seems like a perfect dwarven double entendre, and "Ebenezer" is an older-English name, which harks back to the dwarven myths on Earth that D&D dwarves are based on.

Runabout Kickastone, however...
"Ebenezer" is actually from the Bible, and means "stone of help" (I don't know if the author knew that or not). Looking at it that way, his name becomes even funnier.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  16:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knowing how much Elaine loves research, I'd bet she did.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  17:01:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Ebenezer Stoneshaft sounds like a fine Dwarven name to me, too. Cordio Muffinhead, however...

-I don't know what it is, that make Dwarven names so hit or miss. On the surface, they seem easy enough to make, especially their surnames/clan names. Gnomes, too, to a degree. I don't see why too often, their names become so comic, when it's not that hard to make a Dwarven/Gnomish name that sounds normal.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  18:53:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever heard of the famous dwarven courtesan - Redrock Knobpolisher?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  23:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ever heard of the famous dwarven courtesan - Redrock Knobpolisher?

Raised by gnomes, I'm sure. At least, given the last name and all.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  19:54:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, don't forget the Bouldershoulder brothers! For some reason I always think of bras..... And Pikel?! What kind of name is that? Athrogate is sort of iffy, too, come to think on it....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Khondar
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  05:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Khondar's Homepage Send Khondar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For the past several years I've been compiling what I hope will eventually be a master list of dwarven names in the Realms, subdivided by subrace....

I would be very interested in seeing this work - Could Candlekeep host it?

Far too little published lore on this subject, such a shame IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  06:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Khondar

quote:

For the past several years I've been compiling what I hope will eventually be a master list of dwarven names in the Realms, subdivided by subrace....

I would be very interested in seeing this work - Could Candlekeep host it?

Far too little published lore on this subject, such a shame IMO.

Yes, this would be quite useful....

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  10:55:11  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hey, don't forget the Bouldershoulder brothers! For some reason I always think of bras..... And Pikel?! What kind of name is that? Athrogate is sort of iffy, too, come to think on it....

Because the dwarven druid wears green, he looks like a pickle, and so he was named...Pikel.

Now, given that, I have wondered how to pronounce his brother Ivan's name. Is it /EYE-vuhn/; or, given how Pikel's name is said, /ih-VAHN/?

Ain't no self-respecting dwarf gonna let peeps call him Yvonne!!!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  18:04:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Because the dwarven druid wears green, he looks like a pickle, and so he was named...Pikel.

-Which, when you think about it, doesn't make much sense, given that when he was born and named, he was not a Druid, and did not wear green. Unless 'Pikel' isn't his actual name.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  19:12:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Which, when you think about it, doesn't make much sense, given that when he was born and named, he was not a Druid, and did not wear green. Unless 'Pikel' isn't his actual name.

I think he refers to how the author named the character, not how the character's parents named him.

Though I'm personally not sure about saying he looks like a pickle...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  00:11:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say more of a squash, with that pot on his head....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  01:40:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I'd say more of a squash, with that pot on his head....

That's fairly close to how I imagined him, actually.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  05:14:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

I think he refers to how the author named the character, not how the character's parents named him.

-I understand that, I understand that.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  21:14:55  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe he had green eyes as a baby, or he really took to sucking on pickle slices or the juice?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  05:10:13  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe he had green eyes as a baby, or he really took to sucking on pickle slices or the juice?

-We'd have to get the translation of 'Pikel' into English, or 'green', 'pickle', or whatever else from English into Dwarven.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000