Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Have you ever played an Uthgardt character?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  04:13:47  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Well, the title says it all. I've been fascinated with such for a long time, about as much as I like Dwarves (as if that wasn't apparent ). After experiencing a smidgen of the Black Lion Tribe culture in Neverwinter Nights 1, I wonder how much of the culture is ever used in people's P&P Realms games. So, let's find out, shall we?

Choices:

Yes, and more than once.
Yes, once.
No, but I''ve contemplated the idea.
No, I haven''t even considered such.
No, but such have been NPCs in my campaign(s).
I dislike the Uthgardt. Period.

(Anonymous Vote)

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  14:40:29  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, but have thought about it...
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  02:10:15  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! 6 poll answers in under 24 hours!

Keep 'em comin', folks, if you can!

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  02:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my long time players has had a 3 year now running Red Tiger tribe barbarian character.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  07:07:05  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
played a barbarian / fighter up to level 13, he was Uthgardt
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  11:26:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted: No, but such have been NPCs in my campaign(s).

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  19:11:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-My two Forgotten Realms campaign characters are not Uthgardt barbarians. I do like, overall, the concept of totem barbarians, and have groups in my own setting, that are modeled similarly to the Uthgardt.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  20:52:04  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, but I''ve contemplated the idea

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  04:41:10  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to think, nobody's (honestly) voted the option that they don't like the Uthgardt at all. Amazing!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  05:04:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'm going through a bunch of assorted files I have saved on my flash drive, and, apparently, something that I was writing was going to have an Uthgardt NPC. All I have for this particular fellow is: "Gunvūr Sanferson- The Blue Bear tribe of the Uthgardt barbarians, obviously, though they've been destroyed and recreated as Tree Ghost. No doubt they'd carry on some old traditions, I'm sure. CN Barbarian 7 / Bear Warrior 5"

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  19:53:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not in a million years

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  00:25:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayrik, Son of Korth, is a pureblooded Rengardt. Not to be confused with one of those filthy magic-using Uthgardt dogs.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  00:33:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only once, and only as part of a one-shot campaign run by another DM.

I was Bek'ker, Loremaster of the Ghost Bear tribe.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  01:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was putting a few Uthgardt npc's together for a Many-Arrows based campaign that never materialized.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  05:25:45  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, it's like somebody just goes up and defibrillates my thread (for good reason).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  05:31:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Where did that name come from, I wonder..?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  06:43:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

She wasn't a character that lasted long anyway. Loremaster Bek'ker was among a small group Uthgardt "diplomats" sent to Kara-Tur as a trade delegation. The envoy of the Shou trade minister they eventually met with took offence at their uncouth ways and, consequently, ordered their execution. [The Shou minister, by the way, was named Ku'rita, with ties to the fictional Draconus Combine shipping company, based in Karatin.]

It's pretty easy to see why this was only a one-shot campaign adventure.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  06:49:40  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, and I never really had the inclination to do so either. They just don't interest me all that much.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  07:42:46  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once played one uthgart barbarian called Frostomourne, had quite a fun with him, but I always end up returning to play some halfling wizard...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  07:44:10  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

She wasn't a character that lasted long anyway. Loremaster Bek'ker was among a small group Uthgardt "diplomats" sent to Kara-Tur as a trade delegation. The envoy of the Shou trade minister they eventually met with took offence at their uncouth ways and, consequently, ordered their execution. [The Shou minister, by the way, was named Ku'rita, with ties to the fictional Draconus Combine shipping company, based in Karatin.]

For a moment I thought that name came from Ted Danson's character in the tv show Becker... man loved that show....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  09:13:53  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never played an Uthgardt, but in a campaign adapted to the Realms, the Rise of the Runelords, they were not friendly with the Shoanti (who became the Ice Hunters). Then one tribe betrayed them, Thunderbeast I think.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  10:55:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

What an original backstory!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  14:17:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

I once played one uthgart barbarian called Frostomourne, had quite a fun with him, but I always end up returning to play some halfling wizard...

Night and Day huh?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  18:44:48  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Night and Day huh?

YAh, but I can't help liking halflings wizard, though I have had good times playing other races and professions...

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  19:29:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Night and Day huh?

YAh, but I can't help liking halflings wizard, though I have had good times playing other races and professions...

Totally understandable. I once went from playing a Minotaur Pit-fighter to a Quickling thief. That was right after i purchased the Complete Guide to Humanoids though

Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  01:10:16  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

No, and I never really had the inclination to do so either. They just don't interest me all that much.

I have to take this back.

I did some reading about the Uthgardt after looking at this poll & decided that it may be interesting to play a shaman of the Blue Bear tribe.

Malar defeated & absorbed the Blue Bear totem & seeing as how I played a Huntmaster of Malar for years I believe that I would find myself quite comfortable in the roll of a Blue Bear shaman.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  16:04:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've liked the idea of the uthgardt and I did in fact use them as NPC's back in second edition. I never used them in 3rd edition, but after seeing a lot of the new rules out there, I think it would be interesting to look into how they might have magic that is somewhat different from other cultures. For instance, perhaps they have totemists who use incarnum, similarly perhaps they have "binders" who have learned to bind the "animal totems" associated with the various tribes, maybe they have spirit shamans. Maybe the tribe that serves a wyrm has dragonfire adepts and dragon shamans, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000