Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Seabus Mythforger
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  20:38:17  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's writing style does take a minute to get used to. I was always a fan of 19th century English literature before I began my journey through the Realms so i was able to adapt rather quickly...and now I'm hooked!

I also want to get around to reading Thomas Reid's "The Empyrean Odyssey."

And I'm also wandering (since I've read the War of the Spider Queen), are there any other novels about the Jaezred Chaulsiin/Patron Fathers?

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  01:57:52  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger
And I'm also wandering (since I've read the War of the Spider Queen), are there any other novels about the Jaezred Chaulsiin/Patron Fathers?

Not that I knew of... If any, then maybe a glimpse in Lady Penitent (been a while since I read it), but nothing relevant.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  11:37:35  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the forum has been down i've read Blackstaff Tower, by Stephen E. Schend, and Mistshore, by Jaleigh Johnson. Loved both of them.

Just started Downshadow, by Erik Scott de Bie, and so far it is extremely good.
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  17:23:07  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't gotten the chance to read The Lady Pentinent Yet. I plan on it but i want to read Starlight and Shadows first. Right now I'm working on The Last Mythal. Taking me a minute to get into it though since i also decided the same day to replay through Dragon Age: Origins so i'm trying to split my time somewhat. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I find myself being pulled toward Dragon Age tho. I'm almost done with it though so then i'll be back to the realms.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3007 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  21:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't gotten the chance to read The Lady Pentinent Yet. I plan on it but i want to read Starlight and Shadows first. Right now I'm working on The Last Mythal. Taking me a minute to get into it though since i also decided the same day to replay through Dragon Age: Origins so i'm trying to split my time somewhat. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I find myself being pulled toward Dragon Age tho. I'm almost done with it though so then i'll be back to the realms.

Please let me know what you think of the Lady Penitent. This is also on my "to read" list

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  05:54:03  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do entreri3478. I ran into an old friend of mine today that says it's really a must read if you've read War of the Spider Queen. And for those who haven't gotten the chance yet, I suggest picking up The Legend of Drizzt Anthology: The Collected Stories. All the Drizzt short stories gathered into one volume with introductions to each by R.A. Salvatore himself. I haven't read all the stories yet, and I mostly picked it up for "Guenhwyvar", but after skimming through it, it looks really intriguing. And happened to get lucky enough to acquire Neverwinter Book II for $12.00! How amazing is that!!

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  10:53:10  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Downshadow, by Erik Scott di Bie, and really liked the book. I would highly recommend it. However, I have to ask does the cover have anything to do with any of the content in the book?
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  10:56:56  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Please let me know what you think of the Lady Penitent. This is also on my "to read" list

It was quite good, however, I thought that the 3rd book of the trilogy had a extremely rushed ending that took the shine off the series. All it needed was either a 4th book to the series or an extra 100 pages or so, in order for the book to have the ending it deserved.

I do agree that you should only read the Lady Penitent series only after reading the War Of The Spider Queen Series.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  17:46:35  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Not that I knew of... If any, then maybe a glimpse in Lady Penitent (been a while since I read it), but nothing relevant.

wasnt shimmergloom from streams of silver somehow connected to them.im sure he was a shadow dragon.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
775 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  19:49:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Swords of Dragonfire by Ed....I really like the Knights, but the books are so random seeming! The last half of the book where they just keep slaughtering innocent Purple Dragons in/under the Royal court to get word to Vandergahast is just...odd. I love Ed's work regardless, but now reading Sword that Never Sleeps and hoping for a satisfying conclusion. My fave part of the Swords trilogy so far has been the first few chapters of Swords of Eveningstar. Fantastic stuff there.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3007 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  21:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

quote:

quote:

wasnt shimmergloom from streams of silver somehow connected to them.im sure he was a shadow dragon.

Shimmergloom was either a Shadow Dragon or an extra dark Black Dragon

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  01:35:04  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I liked the Lady Penitent series... a lot! There have been quite a lot of people who were bothered about what happened to the pantheon, as some kind of prequel to 4e. But I cannot help it, I liked the series nevertheless. Especially book 2. Seems I got a nag for the middle books...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3053 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  01:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I should update my status on realms novels. I've read them all thus far (except Erik Scott de Bie's e-only novel, which is making me ask for a Kindle for x-mas just for that...)
Otherwise, I have read the other non-FR novels about the Abyssal Plague, and am now catching up on reading my old FR sourcebooks (I own most but am working on reading them all).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  01:56:42  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I guess I should update my status on realms novels. I've read them all thus far (except Erik Scott de Bie's e-only novel, which is making me ask for a Kindle for x-mas just for that...)
Otherwise, I have read the other non-FR novels about the Abyssal Plague, and am now catching up on reading my old FR sourcebooks (I own most but am working on reading them all).

Respect Alisttair! Guess there are not many here who can say so.

So.. lots of idle time to resurrect Karsus until new novels are published?

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3007 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  15:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I liked the Lady Penitent series... a lot! There have been quite a lot of people who were bothered about what happened to the pantheon, as some kind of prequel to 4e. But I cannot help it, I liked the series nevertheless. Especially book 2. Seems I got a nag for the middle books...

Thanks, i will check out that series pretty soon.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  15:25:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Indeed.

The very thought alone of reading those that I deliberately avoid [and would rather not enumerate] almost awakens the Nevron in me.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3007 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  16:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

The very thought alone of reading those that I deliberately avoid [and would rather not enumerate] almost awakens the Nevron in me.

lol

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  18:55:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Hehe! Dennis in your case this certainly means all novels that contain the word 'elf' (unless it is 'dead elf')?! :-)

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  19:00:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Hehe! Dennis in your case this certainly means all novels that contain the word 'elf' (unless it is 'dead elf')?! :-)

There are exceptions to that rule, albeit very few.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3053 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  21:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh worry not, Karsus will return, I'm sure its in the plans of Ao....he'll get his novel....he'll be the one to stop the Abyssal Plague even and cross over into all the realms.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  14:01:11  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi here !

I update my list last few weeks and added a line this morning for the read one .... I'm at 41 total read by now when i'll finish 'Hand of Fire'. few days left ;D

After i'll go with Silverfall & Cormyr Saga.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  23:36:50  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished "Ring of Winter". Good novel, really liked it. It is the "lighter" old school style.

Don't know yet what to read next. The only thing that really still motivates me, is Godborn....

Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Learned Scribe

76 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  23:43:22  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the Last Mythal a couple of days ago. Very good series IMO. Gonna break from the Realms for a little while and read Tom Holt's Falling Sideways next and the gonna try out the Star Wars: Darth Bane Trilogy...then gonna jump back into the Realms with either Return of the Archwizards or Haunted Lands.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  05:20:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am not really in the mood to delve into newer FR novels. So I am just rereading a couple. Right now it's Unholy, the conclusion to Richard Lee Byers's The Haunted Lands Trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3007 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  14:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Finished the Last Mythal a couple of days ago. Very good series IMO. Gonna break from the Realms for a little while and read Tom Holt's Falling Sideways next and the gonna try out the Star Wars: Darth Bane Trilogy...then gonna jump back into the Realms with either Return of the Archwizards or Haunted Lands.

Definitely go with the Haunted Lands

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000