Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2021 :  21:59:01  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
243 books and counting for me. However, I've been sitting on that number for 7+ years. I've read every short story and novel, chronologically, but stopped when I got to the Abyssal Plague novels. (There are a few, new short stories that have come out in the new Dragon+ magazines that are pre-Abyssal Plague that I haven't read yet.) Being a nerd I wanted to read the earlier Dark Sun novels and base D&D novels leading up to the Abyssal Plague, since those two worlds are tied into the Abyssal Plague as well, before continuing. However, that just never happened. I've recently gotten back into the Dark Sun books, so my continuation of The Realms is probably in my near future.

Along the way, there was some really fantastic reading and some really...um...not so fantastic reading.

However, Elaine Cunningham and Paul S. Kemp were always fantastic. I enjoyed all of the Drizzt novels but some far more than others.

There are a few authors that I did not enjoy under any circumstances, and there were those that kept me guessing as to whether I would love their next installment or, well, I don't like to use the word, but you know what the opposite of love is. That said, I don't regret the time I spent reading a single book.

Since the Haunted Lands books have been brought up recently in this thread, I'll say I'm typically not very interested in books about the undead. The zombie thing has been heavily played out for me. I didn't love the first book, but I felt that each successive book in the series got better. The follow-up series, Brotherhood of the Griffon was excellent, in my opinion, and I'm sad that there will likely never be a sixth book.

Some of my favorite 'series' weren't really a series. 'The Citadels,' 'The Dungeons,' and 'The Fighters' were all great, and several of the books in each either setup or have tie-ins to other novels.

Now that I'm writing about it, I'm starting to miss my time in The Realms. I think I'll have to visit again soon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000