Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 So when do you know youre crazy for certain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  23:42:35  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it when you find that you're your own worst enemy?
Is it when you want the impossible?
Is it when you pour baked beans over your head naked
and do the pretty panty dance?
Help me out here scribes. Im dying here.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  00:19:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how distressed you are.
If you are your own worst enemy, you are blessed. That you have no greater foe then yourself is indeed a blessing.

One can always hope and desire what appears to be impossible, it only becomes impossible when it is no longer an option. A millionaire at age 20 when reaching age 21 for example.

I have never been a fan of baked beans and have no idea of what a "pretty panty dance" is, however you might considered the Wisdom of spilling food over yourself. You might need to speak with someone concerning these issues, the waste of food clearly might be a sign of being "crazy".

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  02:18:15  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as a diagnosed Schizophrenic, my answer (gleaned from personal experience and reflection) is that you NEVER know whether you are sane or not. it is impossible.

look, I Halluscinate. I hear and feel and see and smell and taste things that aren't realy there, and don't see and hear and feel and smell and taste things that are realy there, all at random (usually triggered by stress).

now, if I can't tell at any given moment whether what I am experiencing is real or not... how can anyone else? how does anyone know that what they think they know is true?

they don't. they cn only accept what they experience, and take it as is because there is no proof.

so, given all that, there's no point in worrying about your sanity. it doesn't matter. don't sweat it.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  09:16:40  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Chieftain. You cannot know if you're 'insane'. Insanity is a state of the mind and when you are insane you just think you're sane. Much like if you need glasses; it's very difficult to know if you actually need glasses because you just think everyone sees like you do.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  18:25:09  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that's quite what I meant, Light... heh.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  19:08:02  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look at it this way- I MAY be crazy, but unlike 99.9% of the world, at least I KNOW it! (I admit I am stark raving nuts- it's the only way to stay sane in this world!!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  23:33:53  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
who's quote is that again? I remember that from somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

MasksChosenOne
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  05:05:06  Show Profile Send MasksChosenOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do believe it is when your at the library and you argue with yourself about having read a book already. Then calmly saying well met to the person standing beside you and walking away :)

Drink a lot of water , Walk slowly !
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  22:21:50  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... I never thought of that as weird. ^_^; I guess I'm more bonkers than I realized.

Go to Top of Page

jaelin910
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  12:22:18  Show Profile Send jaelin910 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

as a diagnosed Schizophrenic, my answer (gleaned from personal experience and reflection) is that you NEVER know whether you are sane or not. it is impossible.

look, I Halluscinate. I hear and feel and see and smell and taste things that aren't realy there, and don't see and hear and feel and smell and taste things that are realy there, all at random (usually triggered by stress).

now, if I can't tell at any given moment whether what I am experiencing is real or not... how can anyone else? how does anyone know that what they think they know is true?

they don't. they cn only accept what they experience, and take it as is because there is no proof.

so, given all that, there's no point in worrying about your sanity. it doesn't matter. don't sweat it.

basicly, seeing is believing....hearing, tasting, feeling and smelling don't hurt either.

some people say that you know you're insane, not when you have an argument with yourself, but when you lose said argument.
I disagree. losing an argument with yourself isn't crazy, its just changing your mind out-loud.

Edited by - jaelin910 on 30 May 2011 12:35:17
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  21:58:50  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry all, just had some feeling of being out of control.
Much better now, though I fully confident that I am my own
worst enemy.

I hope that nobody here thinks I am a stark raving lunatic.
Sometimes I just want to hear people admit they have
problems too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  22:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is good to hear that you are doing better. I was a bit concerned about your for a bit. To be honest, I wasn't sure how to respond to your OP.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  00:06:22  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh, the pretty panty dance comes from
my little girl who at 3 when she was
potty training. She put her little girl
panties on for the first time, did a big
dance in front of a full length mirror,
I started singing a silly song for her,
and then she preceded to put on 10 more pairs after that.
Funny stuff. LOL
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  01:00:10  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hahaha! XD that's adorable.

anywho, if I were you, I'd be actively trying to prove how completely psychotic and out-of-your-mind you are!

if you are normal, people will accept you. but if you're insane, theyw ill make you their Leader.

Christopher Tidus, go check him out. I suggest first watching Norman Rockwell is Bleeding. it's my favourite of his Standups.

Edited by - ChieftainTwilight on 01 Jun 2011 01:00:33
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  23:07:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love a trip to the good ol' puzzle factory. If your not behind locked doors, you're probably ok.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  07:33:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

who's quote is that again? I remember that from somewhere.

Er, actually, it's something I came up with on my own. At least the first part is, anyway. If you remember it from somewhere else, then either I'm not the only one who says that, or we've met before!! As for the second part- I did hear something similar once, but darn if I remember where. The sentiment still stands, though.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  07:35:25  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
heh. I hope we have met, and will agian.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  10:55:08  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with chieftain that you can't really know if you're sane, by that I mean that you experience the world as it truly is. Our perception of reality is subjective and we won't all see the same thing the same way, ever.

I think instead you can only think of yourself as having ACTIONS that are crazy when you're out of control and your actions incur negative consequences. It is better to focus on what you know of and can change and try to improve your situation. Like drinking too much, then saying things you regret and losing a friend. Or having a depressive/manic episode where you do something that not even you can explain later...like staying up all night plucking all the hairs out of your body with tweezers...

I had a friend who was raped and beaten up in his/her home in junior high by an adult in their 40s, who they had thought was another teenager on the internet. Afterwards she did many "crazy" things as a result of being unable to deal with the consequences of that trauma, but over the years she's been able to stop doing many of the things she knew s/he didn't want to be doing that were "crazy". Whatever "crazy" thing you do can hopefully be worked on. By trying to change those actions or the thoughts that cause them. There is almost always some sort of hope and people can always change something in their life. If you feel overwhelmed by it all, break your problems into manageable pieces and fix them one by one. Suddenly you'll look back and not understand how you ever did those crazy things.
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2011 :  22:58:26  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ugh... talk of trauma and therapy.... I'd rather not have to think about the treatments that I'm still having to go through... I don't want o remind Shandrel to continue with them, I'm enjoying the long break from such things.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  16:46:04  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a really bad song.... "Crazy? Who you callin' crazy, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?"

Now that the wry humor is out of the way, I'd like to share this gem of wisdom....

"Talking to yourself is a sign of genius. You only need worry when you argue with yourself, and lose." ~ Country Proverb

Good Hunting!
The Wolfhound

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get what people mean about 'never knowing when you're crazy' and I acknowledge that mental problems may indeed present in such a way as to leave the sufferer unsure about the nature of his reality or even completely unware that his mental universe has diverged from the one most people inhibit a long time ago.

On the other hand, when I worked in a restricted ward of a care facility over a summer, I also had occasion to witness people who were only peripherally connected to reality, but nevertheless often retained enough awareness to realise that their memories and mental processes were unreliable.

I'm still wondering which is sadder, the person crying because every single day, he learns about the death of his whole family for the first time, again, or the person who clings to hazy memories and delusions about a vanished world while simultaneously being quite aware that she doesn't really know what's going on and it scares her witless.

Some people had grown to accept that their perceptions were so unreliable that it was better to trust the words of strangers, as long as they persisted longer than the average hallucination. Nothing much surprised them. Others, as noted earlier, had come to the same realisation, but regarded every new incident that conflicted with their delusions with terror and grief, as it was confusing, bad and scary. They were aware that they weren't functioning right, but there wasn't anything they could do about it and no way to trust anything they were told or anything they saw.

Bottom line, if you're lucky, you have a managable psychological or psychiatric problem, realise this and are able to get help. If you are not lucky, you may or may not know that you are crazy, but either way, I don't think it's any fun at all.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000