Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Guallidurth Sects? Sshamath?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  00:40:28  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What sort of sects of different styles of worship do you think might exist in Guallidurth? (not in canon or as a matter of facts, because as far as I can tell we only known house Myz'rnytul ... but ones you think could/should/would exist) ? I'm thinking of in terms of 3rd or 2nd edition by the way.

Also, in Sshamath would most wizards be associated with one of the major ruling schools or are the members of the ruling schools a ruling elite? It seems like 1/20th of the drow population of a city are usually nobles, do you think a similar proportion would be members of ruling schools in Sshamath? And Noble houses are unimportant but still exist, do you think that implies they exist only in theory like "Oh i'm of House Helviiryn, I guess" or do they still maintain family compounds, and some power?

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  00:51:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems the drow in Sshamath do have Houses, but they are ruled by the wizards, instead of priestesses. Patrons, basically. Most of the wizards are apparently also associated with one of the schools, from the few pieces of LP trilogy that mention it.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  09:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Sshamath is very interesting city. The wizards are elite ruling class. The olygarchy of the Conclave consists of the representatives of each of the School of magic. Religious movements are shunned and many faiths are tolerated, since it is usual process of the commercial rule. Commerce is basic of the relationships of the city. But it is still the same drow city. Intrigues of traders and wizards fighting for power are more tangled. The Schools share special responsibilities for their management. Transmuters take architectural tasks, divination specializes in investigations and intelligence, necromancers are purging the trade roads from the roaming undeads and collect corpses for reserve armies in case of enemy attack and etc. Some schools have lesser authority than others because of credibility of their sides, like Schools of Elements.
It is ideal setting for the visit of the surfacers, since they are allowed to visit to trade.

Noble houses are reduced in power and authority. Few old houses have certain privileges like owning slaves for manual labors. But mostly their power is comparable to commoners.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  10:40:43  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I hate Necromancy, but I feel I need to use old thread instead of making new...

Is there information about other aspects of government activity and who handles these branches in Sshamath? For example, judiciary system, taxation, law enforcement. Do they belong to particular Schools or it is joint initiative?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000