Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Green elves and moonblades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  19:41:01  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Quick question, just to be sure: Was there a Green elf house/clan that was given a moonblade in Myth Drannor, or was is restricted to moon elves? I think I recall reading that out of the several hundred moonblades crafted, only those made for moon elves didn't reject their masters, but I'm not sure.

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  19:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Quick question, just to be sure: Was there a Green elf house/clan that was given a moonblade in Myth Drannor, or was is restricted to moon elves? I think I recall reading that out of the several hundred moonblades crafted, only those made for moon elves didn't reject their masters, but I'm not sure.
I am pretty sure the only way a green elf could wield a moonblade would be to have had a moon elf from one of the noble families to have been his or her forbearer.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  20:54:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Moonblades weren't made for specific families -- any elven family was allowed to try, though they kept trying to talk the gold elves out of it. I don't recall any mention of green elves trying to claim a blade, just sun and moon elves. And obviously, all the sun elves that tried wound up extra-crispy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  21:16:27  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Moonblades weren't made for specific families -- any elven family was allowed to try, though they kept trying to talk the gold elves out of it.

Ohhh, I did not know that. Thank you both for the info.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  21:23:20  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine has extensive information on this particular subject.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  21:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right. The quick summary is that any elf was allowed to try, but that only moon elves were ever judged worthy. I don't recall any explicit mention of green elves in that initial claiming scene, though it's been some time since I read it. Green elves being green elves, though, they probably got the picture a lot quicker than the gold elves.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  21:48:57  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine has extensive information on this particular subject.

Great, it's already on my reading list (in like, 3rd position)!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  21:49:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Right. The quick summary is that any elf was allowed to try, but that only moon elves were ever judged worthy. I don't recall any explicit mention of green elves in that initial claiming scene, though it's been some time since I read it. Green elves being green elves, though, they probably got the picture a lot quicker than the gold elves.

Do we know why only the moon elves were worthy?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  22:07:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Do we know why only the moon elves were worthy?

Indeed. Of the elven races, moon elves are the most adaptable and the most likely to get along with other races. A lot of gold elves, for example, barely tolerate any other elven races, much less humans and dwarves.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  22:37:43  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed. Of the elven races, moon elves are the most adaptable and the most likely to get along with other races. A lot of gold elves, for example, barely tolerate any other elven races, much less humans and dwarves.

I see, I knew that gold elves had that reputation, but I thought some of them were more tolerant than their race's stereotype. I'd have guessed that at least ONE gold elf clan would have been worthy (out of a few hundreds).

On a side note, if being adaptable and getting along with other races was an important factor in selecting the ruling family, why did they call the Retreat? Isn't it the opposite of trying to get along with the other races? I must admit I'm not entirely sure about the full reasoning behind the Retreat, or the part Evermeet had in it.

Edited by - Kilvan on 13 Apr 2011 04:09:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  22:46:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I see, I knew that gold elves had that reputation, but I thought some of them were more tolerant than their race's stereotype. I'd have guessed that at least ONE gold elf clan would have been worthy (out of a few hundreds).

One a side note, if being adaptable and getting along with other races was an important factor in selecting the ruling family, why did they call the Retreat? Isn't it the opposite of trying to get along with the other races? I must admit I'm not entirely sure about the full reasoning behind the Retreat, or the part Evermeet had in it.

I'd assume that the blades were created with moon elves in mind... And the Retreat wasn't as much a call for all elves to go to Evermeet, as it was letting the various communities know the door was open. Even at the height of the Retreat, elves remained in many places in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  03:57:38  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chimming in, here. The last time I read Evermeet, I had that question in mind as well, and here's what I came away with- yes, several wood(green) elf clans did try to claim blades, but apparently, none were able. However, several did go away with blades in keeping for the future- three wood elf clans, if I remember. Same goes with many of the gold elf clans. (Though there IS a case of a moon elven branch of the Starym gold elf clan not only claiming the family blade, but warping it to evil to "prove worthy" of ruling the clan in the absence of the clan's rightful heir- Josediah Starym, who was himself a gold elf, and probably the only gold elf in lore who might actually be WORTHY of such a blade. I would think that if he- the other Starym- managed to corrupt the blade, then it might also be possible to alter a blade to accept a non-moon elven master. Just my two zhents.)

On a side-note, Eliath's daughter is a gold elf, so supposedly would not be able to wield her family's blade, but given what happened in the short story Game of Chance, it MIGHT be possible!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 13 Apr 2011 04:21:29
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  06:48:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The Morvaeril family Moonblade, when we last heard of it, was in the possession of Nilsa Harvalmeer, who was able to wield the blade without it judging her unworthy. She's a Wood Elf. Not only that, she's a Half-Wood Elf to boot. So, make of that what you will (I don't like it, but it is what it is- Arilyn is a Half-Elf also, but she is royalty, as opposed to Nilsa, but whatever). But, yeah, any Elven subrace can be found worthy of wielding a Moonblade, based on what criteria that Moonblade (at the time; now plenty are Hopeblades) demands. Remember, plenty of Moonblades, based on previous owners, have developed certain "missions", or "goals", if you will- Arilyn and/or Danillo sort of came to this conclusion, based on the ordeals she went through and the histories of her ancestors' memories and pseudo-sentiences within the sword.

-The majority of Moonblades initially went to Moon Elves and not Sun Elves (that we know of, in the initial claiming ceremony on Evermeet) because, remember, what was the purpose of the Moonblades to begin with? To quote myself from Elves of Faerūn:

"The Moonblades were created to eventually determine a proper ruler for Evermeet, which, at the time, had just recently been discovered by the Elves of Faerūn. Across the span of thousands of years, those worthy of wielding Moonblades would grow smaller and smaller, eventually culminating in one Moonblade wielder being worthy of wielding the ‘Kingblade’, and becoming the rightful ruler of Evermeet. As Ethlando himself intended, the pool would shrink and shrink until, “one, or perhaps two or three” Moonblades would remain active, and that those swords would “become such a sword as a king might wield.” Zaor Moonflower eventually satisfied the requirements, and was installed as the King of Evermeet."

-Call it prescience, call it a hunch, call it what you will, but Ethlando of Aryvandaar had a feeling that Moon Elves would be more worthy of leading the Elven nation as a whole than Sun Elves- perhaps because of his negative experiences living under the Vyshaanti, in the Vyshaan Empire. Moon Elves, in general, are usually seen as the more 'moderate voices' of Elvendom. You can't have a successful ruler who doesn't appeal to the widest range of subjects.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 13 Apr 2011 06:51:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page