Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Gender of main FR characters in future books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  11:18:38  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What kind of main character (like Drizzt or Elminster or Liriel) would you like to see in the new FR stories? And why?

Choices:

Female (but I''m female)
Male (but I''m female)
Female or male (but I''m female)
Hermaphrodite (but I''m female)
Female (but I''''m male)
Male (but I''m male)
Female or male (but I''m male)
Hermaphrodite (but I''m male)

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Jelennet on 09 Apr 2011 11:19:43

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  14:51:13  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't really matter, as long as the story is good...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  14:58:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As Gryphon noted. And as long as they don't make stupid decisions.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  15:13:29  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't give a toss about the main character's gender as long as the book is enjoyable.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  17:34:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I can tell you one kind of character archetype I got sick of: The "gritty heroine with her hair-tied-back". There was a span of like three books I read in a row, where this kind of archetype was the main character in the book. Nothing wrong with women protagonists, or women protagonists who adventure, but, so often, there isn't enough character development or characterization outside of "she's gritty, rough-and-tumble, and do-it-herself" to differentiate her from some other female character with the same types of attitudes.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  01:41:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which ever character-type succeeds in keeping me entertained by the story I'm reading.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  03:46:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the general concensus. The character's concept and backstory are what's important, not their gender, skintone, ethnicity, etc. Those other elements are simply references, unless it's somehow tied to their backstory (such as the fact that Liriel was an outcast from drow society).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  05:17:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like one of each

Like:
Danilo and Arilyn

Elminster and Storm

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  06:54:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I remember something...

When I was doing my thesis back in college, I read this work of a [local] professor about the reader's choice of heroes/books. He said that while characterization and plot are what usually hook a reader, often, a reader's choice is unconsciously influenced by the gender of the hero: a male reader favors heroes, and a female reader favors heroines. The subjects of his studies cover students and professionals from 10 cities all over the country. Maybe he's right, as the same case applies to me. But still, that's a Philippine scenario. I don't know if the same holds true to others.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  23:02:42  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Female or male (but I''m male)...If the story is good I do not mind about the gender!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  11:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything is allright.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  14:16:20  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious... Question to people who anwsered "hermaphrodite". Why do you want to read about them?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  14:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

Just curious... Question to people who anwsered "hermaphrodite". Why do you want to read about them?

Because they would be a first (I think) in realms novels..??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  08:24:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wouldn't have a problem with hermaphrodite characters, so long as their sex is not the focus of the story.

Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  17:23:40  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I wouldn't have a problem with hermaphrodite characters, so long as their sex is not the focus of the story.

A hermaphrodite is the main villain in one of the Thieves' World short stories, and it is a major plot point. very well handled.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  19:23:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

Well Corellon is or at least appears as androgynous often. Thus is not a hard reach for some to select hermaphrodite.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  20:36:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, there's a big difference between being androgynous and hermaphroditic. One simply APPEARS asexual (but is usually one or the other)- the other is actually BOTH. Personally, I'd have trouble connecting with either, unless there was a clear mind-set of the character. Mental direction is a major influence on how I view characters of either gneder. If it's an androgynous character (Lestat comes to mind, even thought he's a male) I'd at least like him/her to THINK like one or the other, even if they don't look obviously masculine or femininte.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  21:10:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alystra,
Yes I understand the difference and also canon can change without explanation.

Some Lore indicates that Corellon is both mother and father of the Elven race.

Take what you desire from Lore.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  02:17:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMWestermeyer

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

A hermaphrodite is the main villain in one of the Thieves' World short stories, and it is a major plot point. very well handled.

Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series has strong hermaphroditic theme. And it's tackled excellently. It's one of the most provocative fantasy classics.

The Realms is another matter, though. At least for me. I don't see the need for a Realms novel to focus on the character's sex alone.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  03:54:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Alystra,

Sorry, that was not aimed at you personally, Kentinal- I find that sometimes folks do not understand the distinction between similar but separate ideas or terms, so I like to be clear. Anywho, Corellon is the father according to most lore; Selune is usually recognized as the mother- his blood, her tears.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  05:44:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Alystra,

Sorry, that was not aimed at you personally, Kentinal- I find that sometimes folks do not understand the distinction between similar but separate ideas or terms, so I like to be clear. Anywho, Corellon is the father according to most lore; Selune is usually recognized as the mother- his blood, her tears.

I believe you mean Sehanine, not Selūne.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000