Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you were a Wizard...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  09:39:21  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
... then what school of magic would you prefer?
For me it's definitely Evocation. There's something in creating stuff from nothing that I like. :)

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 03 Apr 2011 10:24:10

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  10:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious, is english a second language to you? While off the top of my head I can't think of a gramatical rule that makes "If you would be" inncorrect(and I've always considered gramatical rules more guidelines, anyway), "if you were" is more apt, really.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  10:23:34  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, english isn't my native language. I change the title.

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  10:50:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I'm curious, is english a second language to you? While off the top of my head I can't think of a gramatical rule that makes "If you would be" inncorrect(and I've always considered gramatical rules more guidelines, anyway), "if you were" is more apt, really.

Correct, CoA. That's the second form/type of conditional sentences.

To the OP, I would choose both evocation and necromancy. Controlling the elements and the dead is fun.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:04:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
depends on the edition really.

At first I was going to say Evocation as I'm spontaneous, care-free, and all about the notion that a perfect defense is a good offense. But now I'm not so sure and I might have to say Abjuration with prohibition of the Necromacy and Enchantment as I despise the undead and hate bending people to my will (like it ever happens pffff..)
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:17:39  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wild magic......coz a little chaos is wonderful.....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:17:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm also considering abjuration, a perfect combination with evocation. [Plus, I love Lallara.]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway, to answer the question. Again, going by 4e rules as I do, the "schools" of magic aren't really catagorized in the same way as they've previously been. By the current builds, I'd probably go with summoner wizard, as I've always had a fondness for summoning magics. Though truthfully, I'd rather be a swordmage than a wizard. Teleportation spam and hitting things with swords sounds considerably more fun.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:50:10  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The evokers tell us they like creating something from nothing - but I suspect they just like blasting things with fireballs and lightning bolts! :-)

I think I'd plump for transmutation. I'd love to change shape, grow wings and fly or swim under the sea. It would also be amusing to turn my enemies into toads.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  12:37:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3E it would be Transmutation, Conjuration, and Abjuration.

Don't play 4E. Figure I would be some kinda summoner wizard, or a Swordmage...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  13:11:06  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evocation, Enchantment, Divination, and Illusion would be my picks. Possibly Conjuration if I was feeling in the mood to track a lot of creatures.

Out of that list, to narrow it further, I'd say my top two are Illusion and Evocation. I either really want to blow something up or completely fool whatever it is I'm fighting I can make the city of Luskan truly disappear!

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.

Edited by - Abenabin Gimblescrew on 03 Apr 2011 13:15:29
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  13:16:29  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evocation, nercomany, and conjuration!
I would be a fey sorcerer though (4e homebrew)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  14:30:25  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Necromancy, Evocation, and Conjuration....
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  14:51:39  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gryphon, it seems we have a lot of the same interests XD
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:20:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never liked focusing on one school of magic. There are useful spells in all schools, so why limit yourself?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:24:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be inclined to agree with Wooly. But I've always had a proclivity for Divination, so for the sake of the discussion, I'd say that qualifies.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:26:33  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've never liked focusing on one school of magic. There are useful spells in all schools, so why limit yourself?

Agreed. I just interpreted the OP's post as what one you'd go with if you had to choose. General casters I think are the best around. I think that is why most long lived wizards in the realms are general school than specialized ones.

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:36:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Elven High Magic

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:53:04  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^that is my favorite magic type!!!!! Just forgot about it momentarily.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:09:17  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Granted, I'd probably be a generalist wizard, but if I had to pick a school, it'd likely be Evocation, Conjuration or Divination.

I prefer to take down my enemies with considerate force, either with wide blast radii for clustered enemies or single-target spells (ex: ray spells) when it's just one or a few targets, and my allies might be nearby. Besides that, I might want to potentially conjure up allies (likely celestials or elementals), or use my divination to keep tabs on enemies or make sure my friends are okay.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:30:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pastry Chef. Definitely pastry chef.

Its a relatively unknown school created by Halfling Wizards.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  17:38:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picking a favorite school of magic I'd be torn between Invocation/Evocation and Illusion/Phantasm...these have been my favorites since I was a kid 25 years ago!

I always started out with subtle manipulations, and failing that I burned to dust anything in my way. lol

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  18:37:56  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladesinging with a penchant for conjuration and evocation. Favorite combat spells would be Telekinesis, Steeldance, Thunderlance and all Lightning based ranged spells. Outside of combat my favourite spell would be Overland Flight, Mage Hand and Unseen Servant 'cause I'm lazy like that.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  22:03:09  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Illusionist. The sheer amount of fun and trickery one can unleash would be too much to resist
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  04:09:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh! Guess I'd have to go with a Bladesinger or Song Mage with a focus on Transmutation/Illusion. Maybe a bit of Enchantment thrown in!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  04:36:35  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't specialize, as it would deny me other schools. =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  04:40:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the edition. Pathfinder doesn't deny schools, just restricts access to them, and makes them slightly weaker, I believe.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  05:04:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Ooh! Guess I'd have to go with a Bladesinger or Song Mage with a focus on Transmutation/Illusion. Maybe a bit of Enchantment thrown in!

Song Mage?

Okay, now granted I'm not all that "up" on classes and stuff, and while I've probably seen it before, I'm not entirely sure from where this class came from now.

Care to enlighten me, Alystra?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  05:12:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, trust you to pick up on that one, Sage! I do not know where the class itself originated, but there was a spell list for it in the back of the Complete Wizards' Spellbook from 2nd ed, in the spell list appendices. The class and the list that went with it intrigued me at the time, and I used the concept to model several of my bard-type PC's. Some of the spells were highly amusing, in fact, and I really wish they had been updated to 3rd. Nature Call comes to mind, among others.... It seems to have been a variant bardic class, from what I could tell, as it was on the same page with the bard spell list.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  07:34:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Ah, trust you to pick up on that one, Sage! I do not know where the class itself originated, but there was a spell list for it in the back of the Complete Wizards' Spellbook from 2nd ed, in the spell list appendices. The class and the list that went with it intrigued me at the time, and I used the concept to model several of my bard-type PC's. Some of the spells were highly amusing, in fact, and I really wish they had been updated to 3rd. Nature Call comes to mind, among others.... It seems to have been a variant bardic class, from what I could tell, as it was on the same page with the bard spell list.

Well, rather than read during my lunch break, as I usually do, I instead conducted some research through a number of my old archived third-party RPG sources, and I found the/a class... or rather, the/a prestige class, from Monte Cook's Book of Eldritch Might II: Songs and Souls of Power.

Now, it may not have been the class you were thinking about, but I'd forgotten how cool this PrC actually was. Time to work up ways for it to be included in my Realms campaigns, I think.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Apr 2011 07:38:16
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  10:52:20  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Transmutation, knowing the way things work, others e.g. enchantment would feel like cheating, divination and necromancy are disgusting, each in their own way.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000