Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Key of Stars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  18:48:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
-Is this novel worth buying? I own both Plague of Spells and City of Torment, and found that the second novel in the trilogy (seemingly) wrapped up the main ongoing story in the series, leaving only some loose ends that I was only semi-interested in to be addressed in the last book. Does Key of Stars continue building upon the main story arc of the first two books in a meaningful manner?

-And, if possible, can anyone provide a very loose (and spoiler free) synopsis, not getting into detail, per se, but rather, loose ends and story points that are dealt with?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  05:50:07  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless you ar a completionist when it comes to FR books like myself I would take a pass.

I sum up my thoughts on the series here:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14916

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  10:06:41  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im a completist.god i wish i wasnt.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  17:25:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Unless you ar a completionist when it comes to FR books like myself I would take a pass.

I sum up my thoughts on the series here:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14916

-Yes, I read that. I posted in that thread.

-I'm looking for the specific plots that Key of Stars has, so I can decide whether or not I want to actually buy the book or not. City of Torment seemingly wrapped up the main story, with the summoning of Xxiphu unsuccessful (though, we know because of the FRCG that someone ultimately succeeds), but obviously didn't wrap up all of the loose ends. What loose ends are picked up in Key of Stars? Depending on what goes on, I may or may not have interest in the book.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

TulkaS-
Acolyte

Greece
6 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  21:47:38  Show Profile  Visit TulkaS-'s Homepage Send TulkaS- a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this
link should do the work ! http://o-love.net/realms/desc_abo.html#PlagueOfSpells
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  03:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here's your spoiler-free synopsis:

The characters spend a bunch of time wandering around in two different groups that eventually meet up for the penultimate and then ultimate confrontation. As a reader, you will need a oiuja board and strong divination skills to follow where the characters are both in and beyond the Realms, and be prepared for some time travel and a claim of beings "more powerful than Lord Ao." Specifically: Raidon Kane's fate is answered. Questions about his mother are answered. Japteth and Anusha's romantic prospects are finalized. You learn why the Captain has scales. You do not learn anything about the Red Wizards of any interest. Lots of people die. There's lots of water.

Most of this posting, sadly, is not an April Fool's Day joke.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  03:48:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

The characters spend a bunch of time wandering around in two different groups that eventually meet up for the penultimate and then ultimate confrontation. As a reader, you will need a oiuja board and strong divination skills to follow where the characters are both in and beyond the Realms, and be prepared for some time travel and a claim of beings "more powerful than Lord Ao." Specifically: Raidon Kane's fate is answered. Questions about his mother are answered. Japteth and Anusha's romantic prospects are finalized. You learn why the Captain has scales. You do not learn anything about the Red Wizards of any interest. Lots of people die. There's lots of water.

So which parts ARE...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  04:26:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's lots of water.

You might want to include Threat From the Sea in that description!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  04:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

So which parts ARE...

Dennis has the gist of it...although there is a lot of water. The rest is Tyr's truth.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  06:02:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Hmm...Looks like a pass, then. That's too bad, since there was plenty potential in that entire story arc, and with those characters. Oh, those characters...

-Hey, well, since I have no inclination to read it, can I get a spoiler synopsis?

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 03 Apr 2011 03:52:53
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  11:59:42  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone read the novel, I stopped at Lady of Poison.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  18:09:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

I don't think anyone read the novel, I stopped at Lady of Poison.

-Bruce Cordell is very hit-or-miss with people. Generally speaking, his storylines are the things that are hit-or-miss, while his ability to create interesting characters is very, very solid. Lady of Poison was decent, as was Stardeep. The Abolithic Soverignty trilogy...Less so, but not the worst things I've read (the first two books)

-Most of his literature is included in my list of Forgotten Realms novel reviews: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19849042/LKs_Reviews?pg=1

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000