Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Product Identity, a mini RANT
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  03:46:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... I missed this rant in my time away; many thanks for keeping them going, Mace!

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So if its all just 'D&D lore' now, doesn't that make it apocryphal, and NOT canon to the setting? You know, like how Realmspace is technically not canon for the Forgotten Realms (because it is a product from another setting)?

I love Realmspace as a Spelljammer product... I'm not all that fond of it as a FR resource. I find parts of it problematic from a Realmslore standpoint.

So, then, can we apply the same logic to 4E setting material as being simply 'D&D' and not 'FR' or 'Eberron' or 'Dark Sun'? That works for me. Many thanks for unassailable logic, Mark and Wooly!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29798 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  05:00:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To clarify... I was only addressing Realmspace. While I'd readily consider it to be canon for everything beyond Toril, the Toril and Selūne specific info often either contradicts known FR lore, or includes things not backed up before or since in FR canon.

And Realmspace was far from the worst of the lot... Krynnspace has some horrible, horrible things in it, and it is my opinion that its author was only peripherally aware of the Dragonlance setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  05:05:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And Realmspace was far from the worst of the lot... Krynnspace has some horrible, horrible things in it, and it is my opinion that its author was only peripherally aware of the Dragonlance setting.
Agreed.

Though I will note that Trampas Whiteman did some excellent work on bringing the few "cool" ideas from the Krynnspace supplement to be as-close-as-they-can-be-to-official material with his articles on the "Knights of Krynnspace" over at the DL Nexus.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cguthrie
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2012 :  05:55:54  Show Profile Send cguthrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that has been something that is really common in almost any brand. I mean, it will be a no brainer that they will bank on what they are known for. Though those who have been followers for a long time already will notice the difference the most.

There are even some who do not have an idea what they really mean owing to just being familiar with the brand that is publicized the most.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000