Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 A bard as the main character in a Novel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2290 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  16:19:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
I remember that Arilyn saw its hilt and thought was Halruuan. And very old.

I would be very interested to know whatever happened to that blade!



There's a short story in there somewhere. What do you think? Something amusing (a mock-battle-gone-wrong in the dormitory of a barding academy entitled "Cantata for Sword and Chamber Pot Ensemble") or something poignant ("Swan Song")?



I'd vote for the amusing one. It feels like it's been a while. Of course, I haven't quite had time to read the one in Wayfinder #4 yet (trying to write one or three pieces for the next issue myself at the moment).



The Wayfinder story is a grim little piece. There are two ways of looking at what occurred. It's not entirely clear whether the villain was responsible for the Bad Thing that happened, or whether he merely bet on it happening to manipulate a situation to his advantage.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the story.

Oh, by the way--Paizo bought the rights to the story after the fact, and eventually it will be posted on the Paizo website as part of their weekly web fiction program.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2290 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  16:21:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

As for bards in general, I haven't had a very high opinion of that profession to be honest. Maybe this is a skewed opinion since I've always considered them sub-par on the mechanics side but there have been some great novels with them in it such as Elaine's novels (which I've greatly enjoyed).


For what it's worth, I think the thing that makes people complain about the bard-mechanics - it's meant to be play the second fiddle in the party on all tasks except possibly social ones - is exactly what makes them an excellent group of characters for fiction. A bard can be basically anything. You can have your Scarlet Pimpernel-type, mixing daring escapes while spewing bon mots (see a certain Danilo Thann); or you can have an old academic advisor to the king who knows the laws and customs of the realms off by heart; there's your warrior-poets (e. g. Cyrano de Bergerac as portrayed in the play and movie); or why not someone specialising in the magic of song, such as a D&D spell-singer.



Another type would be the scholar/adventurer, the Indianna Jones type who occasionally hangs up his tweed jacket and gets out the fedora and bullship. Bronwyn in Thornhold was a bard build along these lines. So is Azariah.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  18:37:30  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
I remember that Arilyn saw its hilt and thought was Halruuan. And very old.

I would be very interested to know whatever happened to that blade!



There's a short story in there somewhere. What do you think? Something amusing (a mock-battle-gone-wrong in the dormitory of a barding academy entitled "Cantata for Sword and Chamber Pot Ensemble") or something poignant ("Swan Song")?



Sounds like the start of an interesting anthology!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  18:42:05  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

As for bards in general, I haven't had a very high opinion of that profession to be honest. Maybe this is a skewed opinion since I've always considered them sub-par on the mechanics side but there have been some great novels with them in it such as Elaine's novels (which I've greatly enjoyed).


For what it's worth, I think the thing that makes people complain about the bard-mechanics - it's meant to be play the second fiddle in the party on all tasks except possibly social ones - is exactly what makes them an excellent group of characters for fiction. A bard can be basically anything. You can have your Scarlet Pimpernel-type, mixing daring escapes while spewing bon mots (see a certain Danilo Thann); or you can have an old academic advisor to the king who knows the laws and customs of the realms off by heart; there's your warrior-poets (e. g. Cyrano de Bergerac as portrayed in the play and movie); or why not someone specialising in the magic of song, such as a D&D spell-singer.



Another type would be the scholar/adventurer, the Indianna Jones type who occasionally hangs up his tweed jacket and gets out the fedora and bullship. Bronwyn in Thornhold was a bard build along these lines. So is Azariah.


With a dash of Spellsinger for spice?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2290 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  19:46:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

As for bards in general, I haven't had a very high opinion of that profession to be honest. Maybe this is a skewed opinion since I've always considered them sub-par on the mechanics side but there have been some great novels with them in it such as Elaine's novels (which I've greatly enjoyed).


For what it's worth, I think the thing that makes people complain about the bard-mechanics - it's meant to be play the second fiddle in the party on all tasks except possibly social ones - is exactly what makes them an excellent group of characters for fiction. A bard can be basically anything. You can have your Scarlet Pimpernel-type, mixing daring escapes while spewing bon mots (see a certain Danilo Thann); or you can have an old academic advisor to the king who knows the laws and customs of the realms off by heart; there's your warrior-poets (e. g. Cyrano de Bergerac as portrayed in the play and movie); or why not someone specialising in the magic of song, such as a D&D spell-singer.



Another type would be the scholar/adventurer, the Indianna Jones type who occasionally hangs up his tweed jacket and gets out the fedora and bullship. Bronwyn in Thornhold was a bard build along these lines. So is Azariah.


With a dash of Spellsinger for spice?



Nope, sorry. No Spellsinger.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  02:52:51  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

As for bards in general, I haven't had a very high opinion of that profession to be honest. Maybe this is a skewed opinion since I've always considered them sub-par on the mechanics side but there have been some great novels with them in it such as Elaine's novels (which I've greatly enjoyed).


For what it's worth, I think the thing that makes people complain about the bard-mechanics - it's meant to be play the second fiddle in the party on all tasks except possibly social ones - is exactly what makes them an excellent group of characters for fiction. A bard can be basically anything. You can have your Scarlet Pimpernel-type, mixing daring escapes while spewing bon mots (see a certain Danilo Thann); or you can have an old academic advisor to the king who knows the laws and customs of the realms off by heart; there's your warrior-poets (e. g. Cyrano de Bergerac as portrayed in the play and movie); or why not someone specialising in the magic of song, such as a D&D spell-singer.



Another type would be the scholar/adventurer, the Indianna Jones type who occasionally hangs up his tweed jacket and gets out the fedora and bullship. Bronwyn in Thornhold was a bard build along these lines. So is Azariah.


With a dash of Spellsinger for spice?



Nope, sorry. No Spellsinger.



No worries, I'm not disappointed...I'm just fishin'

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  03:14:01  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And speaking of spellsingers- Has anyone else read the Wizard in Rhyme series? Not a bard, exactly, but I figure any spellcaster that uses lines from Shakespeare or Greensleeves to cast spells qualifies! And some of those spells were pretty amusing!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:18:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Alystra, you might want to read The Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn. One of the main characters, Collan, is a gifted Bard.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000