Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Orthae Velve 3.5 conversion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  15:14:30  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In this thread I'll attempt to convert the Drow Bladesinger Kit found here (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/stonekeep/25/drowkit.html) to 3.5

I got a vague idea for its flavour and mechanics, mainly based on blending blending a fighter/mage fighting style thought at both Melee'Magthere and Sorcere that uses intimidation and fear based mindgames, aggresive swordplay and defensive magics into a uniquely bladesinging style favored by the drow after adapting to the cramped environment of the Underdark.

Initial draft idea for requirements:
Race: Drow
BaB: 5+
Ability to cast a fear based arcane spell
A student requires passing both the graduation tests of Melee Magthere and Sorcere and sponsoring of a powerful matron

Do any scribes have any suggestions to add? Many thanks for your interest!

Sincerely,

Bladewind

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 16 Mar 2011 15:21:15

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  17:58:05  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm tired, but I'll say: continue! More suggestions tomorrow.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  02:49:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like this! Do go on....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  12:57:27  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each generation a select few individuals who showed innate musical talent were chosen to spend long years studying Bae'queshel lore and learning how to raise the ancient keening songs of the Dark Elves.

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  13:34:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deathsinger
Deathsingers are drow who have mastered the secret remnant of the dark elven bladesong style 'Holy Blade' or 'Orthae Velve'. This highly secretive group of talented warriors, wizards and lorekeepers serve only matrons of powerful houses that respect and know about the ancient art. Thought some houses have a certain contempt for its roots in 'fairie elf' bladesong, Deathsinger lodges have been protected by the oldest drow houses across Fearuns Underdark for several millenia.
Deathsingers usually pose themselves as historians, spreading knowledge of time before, during and just after the Descent of the Drow. Some are well known performers, reenacting old battles with precision and bravour. Their voices sometimes seem to come from somewhere else, as if something from beyond borders of reality speaks alongside them.
A Deathsingers true power is revealed when they are dispatched on a mission to kill. A Deathsinger in battle harnesses both arcane spells, wielding twin blades and an ancient keening song into a terrible haunting fighting style, an ancient bladesong style known only to the Orthae Velve. A keening Deathsingers mere presence can unnerve the biggest beasts, and most foes forget everything they were planned to do and flee the terror of sound they behold.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Deathsinger, a character must meet the following requirements.
Skills: Balance 2 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks, Perform (dance) 2 ranks, Perform (sing) 2 ranks, Knowledge (History or the Planes) 2 ranks.
Feats: Combat Casting, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (longsword, shortsword, scimitar or rapier), Two Weapon Fighting
Spellcasting: Able to cast a fear based arcane spell.
Special: A student requires passing both the graduation tests of Melee Magthere and Sorcere and sponsoring of a powerful house matron.

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Planes), Perform (Cha), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex)
Skill Points at each level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Deathsinger does not gain any proficiencies with weapons or armor.
Base Attack Bonus: As the Fighter class.
Saving Throw Progression: As the Bard class.
Spellcasting: +1 level of arcane spellcasting class each other level starting at the first.
Bladesong Style: When wielding two onehanded blades a deathsinger gains a shield bonus to its AC equal to his or her Deathsinger level, up to a maximum of his or her Int modifier
Lesser Deathsong (Ex): When wielding two onehanded blades in both hands a 2nd level deathsinger can take 10 on both intimidate checks to demoralize an opponent and concentration checks made to cast fear or death based spells defensively; in addition he or she is able to use arcane somatic components for fear and death spells while dual wielding blades
Scream of Death [sonic](Su): At 4th level and every 4 levels afterward (4th and 8th), a Deathsinger gains a daily use of a terrifying abyssal scream. As a free action a Deathsinger pitches his voice to a forgotten and feared demonic song that lasts for a number of rounds equal to his Con modifier, panicking any living foes within 60 ft for 1d4 minutes if they fail a will savingthrow with a dc equal to 10 + half the deathsingers level + his or her Cha modifier. Those that save still are shaken (-2 to attacks, saves and ability checks) when they remain within 60 ft and in earshot of the Deathsingers scream.
Greater Deathsong (Ex): At 6th level, a Deathsinger can demoralise an opponent as free action when attacking that opponent with a melee or spell attack. In addition a Deathsinger is able to use somatic components while dual wielding blades for all spells (not fear or death based only).
Deathnote [sonic](Su): At 10th level, a Deathsinger making a full attack generates an abyssal vortex of sound audible around his blade attacks. His blades gain the vorpal quality against anyone under the effect of fear based spell or ability.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Edited by - Bladewind on 17 Mar 2011 22:18:04
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  13:57:33  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice...
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  14:07:47  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gryphon!

And Snowblood, what's Bae'Queshel lore? Sounds awesome!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  16:01:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Bladesong Style: When wielding two onehanded blades a deathsinger gains a bonus to its AC equal to his Deathsinger level, up to a maximum of his Int modifier
I would make this a shield bonus to AC as per Two-Weapon Defense. Make its maximum equal to the Int or Cha modifier, based on the spellcasting type. In addition, you need some sort of class ability that will allow the character to cast without a free hand, as they are expected to be holding two swords. And since they have the fighter BAB, you might consider only giving them +1 spellcasting for 7 of the 10 levels to keep it balanced.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 17 Mar 2011 16:08:47
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  21:38:30  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like your suggestions Hawk. I'll give them the somatic weaponry feat for free to enable their casting starting from 6th level, as they already ignore somatics with lesser deathsong for fear and death spells only.

I prefer to leave the intelligence bonus as the limit for its defensive AC, introducing some semblance of balance and differentiation in styles between members of the different deathsinger schools. Some would prefer the defensive benefits of the style (prefering Int based wizards as an entry class), while others prefer to utilize the "fear factor" (and start out as preferably as bards and mainly use the intimidation tactics of the PrC).

The PrC is only 10 levels (and gains one at 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9th level) so an arcane caster already loses 5 caster levels at least, usually a huge deterrent. Or did you propose to bump its advancement exactly for this reason?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  21:57:53  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

The PrC is only 10 levels (and gains one at 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9th level) so an arcane caster already loses 5 caster levels at least, usually a huge deterrent. Or did you propose to bump its advancement exactly for this reason?
Actually, I had missed that bit, so I had assumed that you had applied it to every level.I actually think if you leave it at every other level that would be fine.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  12:40:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halisstra Melarn was a Bae'Queshel. Basically a drow specializing in bardic magics. There were heavy religious overtones. The War of the Spider Queen had a lot of information on this tradition as did Lady Penitent. This was separate than the Deathsinger briefly mentioned in that same series (WotSQ.) I also seem to recall seeing mechanics for the Bae'Queshel somewhere, although whether that was canon or somebodies homebrew I'm not sure. It may take some digging. I'll try to remember to look when I get home.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  03:22:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, by all means, please do! Really like this class so far, BTW. Kudos, Bladewind!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000