Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who Greatest Mage who ever lived
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  20:42:10  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Wow, this has turned into a juvenile topic.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2902 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  21:17:58  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Wow, this has turned into a juvenile topic.

-Seriously. To get things back to a semblance of maturity, I'll address Wooley's "wiggle room", in this particular story.

-As I mentioned a few times now, we know that the Church of Mystra and Azuth are the primary promulgators of the story as we understand it (Karsus researches spell, casts spell and targets Mystryl, Mystryl sacrifices herself to save the Weave because Karsus can't administer it like she can). They do so to stress the folly of hubris, vanity, all of that, Mystryl's heroic self-sacrifice to preserve magic, and the other details of the story we're familiar with. If the Churches of Mystra and/or Azuth had something to hide- not saying that they necessarily do- regarding the event, they could very well have done so by manipulating which facts they highlight, and which facts they gloss over, or even disregard completely. Regarding the source material that we have, the account of Karsus and Karsus' Folly primarily come from Netheril: Empire of Magic. Netheril: Empire of Magic was narrated by Larloch, a servant of Mystra (in his own way), and a possibly compromised, biased source of information. If there were details that were embarrassing to Mystra herself, or her church, in whatever way, Larloch, being in a special relationship with her, could have also glossed over or disregarded them. Not saying that he did, necessarily, and that the account that of Karsus' Folly that he gives, that other sources draw from, is incorrect, but there is certainly reason to believe that he could have.

-Can the same be said for any event? Yes. Like I said in an earlier post, the Crown Wars might not actually happened, and the general narrative that we have might actually be a manifestation of underlying resentment and bias by Wood Elves towards their "more magically inclined" Sun and Moon Elf cousins. The Dragon Baronies might not have actually existed, and instead are artificial constructs mythologizing and romanticizing Dragons. What is present in the story of Karsus' Folly, that is not necessarily present in those other things, is at least one party that is a primary source of information on the matter, and might partially be biased because of their role in those events, their affiliation, and so on. That is where the wiggle room might exist.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 11 Jun 2011 21:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  21:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
I think some on here take this all a bit too seriously
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2011 :  01:47:22  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
And I think it's time for a break. This scroll has been dancing around the same part of the debate now for several days, without much resolution/addition to the actual discussion.

Thus...

*Casts Temporary Seal Scroll*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000