Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who Greatest Mage who ever lived
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  05:51:41  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Who Greatest Mage that ever lived in the Forgotten Realms? I know there is a similar thread, but it seems to only list living mages and it leaves some of the most powerful mages out...

Choices:

Elminster
Larloch
Mortal Azuth
Karsus
Ioulaum
Srinshee
Simbul
Sammaster

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - jordanz on 15 Mar 2011 05:53:29

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  10:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
DUH!! Karsus!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  11:31:01  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message
Here we go again
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  11:38:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Considering nothing but my personal bias, I say Telamont and Larloch.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  11:39:00  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Which fictional character was greater than all these other fictional characters?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  02:24:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by arry

Which fictional character was greater than all these other fictional characters?

Pug.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  02:31:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
I am oft amazed at how many scribes seem unaware of Candlekeep's search genie or Active Topics.

[Edit: Why aren't Halaster, the Terraseer, and Telamont on the list this time around?]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Mar 2011 02:42:24
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  09:00:15  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message
Ioulam of course. How old is he? Over 4,000, he must have learnt a thing or two in that time.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  11:45:16  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Pug.

There's something to be said for this. There aren't many fantasy wizards who can create the equivalent of a Gate spell big enough to fit a fair chunk of the moon in it. If the field is opened up to every fictional character ever, though, then Pug isn't particularly impressive.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  13:05:21  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message
Simbul...
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  18:08:01  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Light

Ioulam of course. How old is he? Over 4,000, he must have learnt a thing or two in that time.

Interesting I'm not fully aware of some of Ioulam's major accomplishments but apparently they warrant comparison to some of the others on the list who have confronted Gods and Demigods...
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  18:17:22  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message
Ioulaum, creator of the first mythallar...

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  20:58:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I am oft amazed at how many scribes seem unaware of Candlekeep's search genie or Active Topics.

[Edit: Why aren't Halaster, the Terraseer, and Telamont on the list this time around?]

It never ceases to baffle.(and inspires my only wish to be a moderator for just a minute)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  22:29:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Perhaps someone should ask Ed ... no doubt he's come across a thousand minstrels who all sing some version of a song called The Greatest Mage Who Ever Lived.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  02:21:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

quote:

Pug.

There's something to be said for this. There aren't many fantasy wizards who can create the equivalent of a Gate spell big enough to fit a fair chunk of the moon in it. If the field is opened up to every fictional character ever, though, then Pug isn't particularly impressive.

Don't take it too seriously. It's just my personal bias. Pug wrecked havoc in the arena of Kelewan's Emperor, teleported a huge chunk of the moon to smash the the Dasati's Dreadlord, could create "emergency" rifts between worlds in mere seconds, could journey back in time, countered the magical bridge of a hundred Panthatians, and disrupted Macros's foolish attempt at godhood. These are great achievements, indeed. However, I acknowledge that there are others outside Feist's Universe who've done equally lofty feats.

One can even say the Scarlet Witch is the greatest. And I might not argue with that. Altering the very fabric or reality is no minor feat.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  03:08:28  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
One can even say the Scarlet Witch is the greatest. And I might not argue with that. Altering the very fabric or reality is no minor feat.

Wanda? I'd go higher in the chain than that.

The Endless from Sandman. Lucifer Morningstar (and his brother Michael Demiurgos) from Lucifer. The Presence.

(Incidentally, check out Feist's latest novel - Kingdom Besieged - if you haven't already. It's an interesting read.)

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  06:45:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

The release of A Kingdom Besieged is on April 12. Where did you buy your copy?

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  07:36:19  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780007264766/Kingdom-Besieged

It's been out in Australia for almost a month now. Several bookstores have it as well.

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  09:01:10  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I can answer about Halaster.. >.> it's because he doesn't belong on this list. XD

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
and a heart can only break so many times
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  14:45:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780007264766/Kingdom-Besieged

It's been out in Australia for almost a month now. Several bookstores have it as well.

Aye, pretty much. I haven't picked up my copy yet, because I'm short on gold pieces this month. So I'll probably wait until next month, or until the trade-paperback releases in Australia. Which will provide me with enough time to play catch up with Feist's past works anyway.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Mar 2011 14:46:58
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  22:12:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

It will be available here in the Phil on May or June.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  22:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message
Duke Rowan Darkwood.

In fairness, he wasn't born on Toril, but he did make his name there in the Bloodstone lands. :) And later (or much earlier in one perspective, given the oddness of time travel) he did attempt to overthrow the Lady of Pain.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  23:12:35  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message
karsus.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  23:24:15  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message
Mortal Azuth

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  01:52:24  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
I am more inclined to go with Queen Amlaruil Moonflower. After all, besides the Simbul, who else had access to High Magic?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  02:14:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

I am more inclined to go with Queen Amlaruil Moonflower. After all, besides the Simbul, who else had access to High Magic?

Bunches and bunches of elven high mages.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  02:39:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Bunches and bunches of elven high mages.

And Khelben!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  01:51:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

The Srinshee. And what Wooly said, though my descriptions of them would be more colorful than "bunches".

----

Ed said among humans, the mortal Azuth was the greatest. But we don't have to agree with Ed, do we?

Edited by - Dennis on 27 May 2011 11:42:36
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  04:24:46  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
The Simbul is slightly stronger than Elminster by my take. By I think Kimmuriel could take her down. Psionics > Magic.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  04:49:16  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
I voted for the Srinshee. Why? She was Elminster's MENTOR, for starters. That gal's FORGOTTEN more about magic than many mages will learn in a hundred lifetimes! And she's done some pretty amazing things with her power- like keeping both herself and El alive after being blasted with magic that SHOULD have reduced half of Myth Drannor to dust. Though it was a toss-up between her and El himself. Not only has he hurled spells with the best of them, but he's managed to save a goddess of magic from death (by holding a major part of her essence during the ToT), and has almost single-handedly kept Cormyr and the Dales "safe" for centuries. Not to mention his relationships to several other Chosen.... Other mages may have performed loftier feats of magic, but how many of them have been LOVED by Mystra herself? Nope, can't think of any.... (Sammaster doesn't count- his relationship with her was rather one-sided...)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  01:49:30  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
First of all I just want to say that I have chosen not to vote at this moment. The reason for this i s that by posting Mortal Azuth you kind of don’t have to post the others... For he became a god by his own power. Or more correctly it was due to the spell or spells he cast. So in other words... He IS the greatest mage that have been yet... by definition and by canon lore.

If you ask who we like then this thread actually has meaning, but ask who is the greatest... well ofc it’s the guy who became a god because of his power and knowledge and actions...

So in short and knowing that I’m a jerk for saying this... it’s a stupid question because it is Azuth... hands down. No question about it!!!

Personally like the Srinshee the most though!

Ps. I know again im a jerk, but if this post is about actual power, and not whom we like, then how can anyone have the nerv to say the Simbul. She is less powerful than Sammaster, who is less powerful than Telemond, who is less powerful than Elminster, who is less powerful than Larloch, who is less powerful than Ioulaum , who is less powerful than Karsus, who is less powerful than the Srinshee whos is less powerful than the firstmagister!!!

Its just such a useless post if ppl have no clue what they are talking about. Sorry to point that out! And the ranking of this list is made by what have been written in these hallowed halls and not by personal feelings!

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 03 Jun 2011 02:07:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000