Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Most missed "Dead" Deity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  04:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:

My dislike of 4E is known even to the undead blasted to dust. The changes to the Faerūnian Pantheon bother me more than most of the other changes to the Realms in the 4th Edition. I have put down the gods I miss most from the first-to-third edition. Please let us know whom you miss the most. (Note: the poll has been edited after the publication of The Herald as many gods are no longer dead. Either way, since people are still posting on here, I have reset the poll data. ~Azuth 06.30.2014)

Neither gone, nor forgotten:

Choices:

Bhaal
Vhaeraun
Mielikki
Myrkul
Tyr
Azuth
Eilistraee
Deneir
Leira
Other (Please Detail)

(Anonymous Vote)

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.

Edited by - Azuth on 30 Jun 2014 21:59:24

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  05:34:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mask! I hope Paul brings him back in some fashion in Cycle of Night...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  05:46:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While Mystra got killed in a weak manner, Azuth had it even worse.

Why the hell would he land in the Nine Hells?

Stupid...he was a God...and so shouldn't have fallen so easily to Asmodeus; I thought it was a crap way to do him in.

They should at least have let him die fighting or SOMETHING...not getting killed on another plane.

Seriously...the Nine Hells? Utter crap.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  05:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Admittedly, as creator of this poll, I have trouble answering it. To say I have a bias for Azuth is an understatement, but the death of Mystra really screwed up the Realms. I also liked Deneir, and Mask was great fun to watch in the latter two books of the Avatar Series. Finally, making Lathander an aspect of any god (Amaunator) is just strange, given his participation in the Dawn Cataclysm...

One thing that gives me hope is the 3E canon text in Faiths and Pantheons pg 5 under "Dead Deities" which reads:
quote:
Moreover, death doesn't necessarily end the career of a deity of Toril. The possibility of resurrection always exists, as evidenced by the recent return of Bane.

So, I have hope...

Lord of All Spells

Edited by - Azuth on 15 Mar 2011 06:00:19
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  06:20:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in all fairness, Azuth would've been a bit of a weakling without Mystra around. What power does a god of wizards have when magic is entirely unusable? Still, quite odd for a Lawful Neutral god (whose seat of divine power should reside in Dweomerheart, Mechanus, or the Realms) to suddenly invest himself entirely in another plane, particularly Baator of all possible places. Not odd at all for Asmodeus to opportunistically capitalize on Azuth's infernal blunder.

I'm of the opinion that you could hardly swing a halfling around in the Realms without bumping into somebody's god, so there was some need for a little pruning. Azuth was, IMO, an unfortunately redundant apparatus (also an obsolete one in 4E game mechanics). I agree with the 4E reason for simplifying the pantheon, though I disagree with many of the particular choices and most of the actual methods/explanations by which this was achieved. Azuth's death was a meaningless kick in the Grumbars, he deserved a far more fitting end than simply being a convenient vessel to pour excess divinity into Asmodeus.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Mar 2011 06:22:25
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  06:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Faiths and Pantheons does list his home plane as Dweomerheart...What I still don't get is why Azmodeus didn't become the new God of Mages...or for that matter, why Azuth couldn't have become God of Magic (assuming Cyric didn't get that mantle.) As Ed has often hinted, gods can masquerade as other gods, so it is possible that Azuth was an aspect of Mystra (in theory) although his continued existence after Mystra's death at Helm's hand would imply otherwise. Where I get confused is how this breaks precedence so much from past "dead" deities where those who continue to worship a god continue to receive spells from another deity. I guess I'm most troubled, though, as to how the Goddess of Magic and the Weave both fall but priests of Gods and Goddesses who have relied upon the Weave to grant them divine spells suddenly continue to cast spells without any problem? No relearning...nothing like mages (at least according to the Abolethic Sovereignty series). *Shrug*

I'll agree with you that there were a lot of deities in 3E, Arik, but I viewed it as a well-stocked bar: I could always find a deity for the right purpose. What's really intriguing to me is to go back to the Old Gray Box (Cyclopedia of the Realms, Adventures and the 3E FR books and see how well they align. Gauntylgrym is mentioned in the Cyclopedia as are many other prominent events that would happen years later (IRL). It is worth noting that nothing of the Spellplague is even hinted in the books, which really drives home my belief that Ed really didn't want what has happened to happen.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  07:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Mystra, although Bhaal is a close second and Eilistraee third.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  10:47:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll admit. I do miss Helm due to how he differs from Torm.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  11:51:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not fond of gods. To me, they're just mages whose spell expertise got translated into portfolios.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  12:50:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

While Mystra got killed in a weak manner, Azuth had it even worse.

Why the hell would he land in the Nine Hells?

Stupid...he was a God...and so shouldn't have fallen so easily to Asmodeus; I thought it was a crap way to do him in.They should at least have let him die fighting or SOMETHING...not getting killed on another plane.

Seriously...the Nine Hells? Utter crap.

Just a supposition, but maybe some Asmodeus lovers did not like what Mystra did in the hells along with the Simbul giving Asmodeus a spell smack down, wanted to do something to make it up to him?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  13:08:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe, Red. Besides, Azzy couldn't have Mystra, so he settled for the second best.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  13:32:07  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helm's death is the one that doesn't make any sense to me, well, more than the others. It is/was one of my favorite god and probably the one I miss the most. The fact that I never cared about Torm doesn't help either.

As for Azuth being killed by Asmodeus, well, he didn't have his spells since Mystra just died (or his staff for that matter, as it was planted in Mystra's skull at the time). He could have been overrun with pit fiends, unable to flee to safety.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  18:45:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Helm's death is the one that doesn't make any sense to me, well, more than the others. It is/was one of my favorite god and probably the one I miss the most. The fact that I never cared about Torm doesn't help either.

As for Azuth being killed by Asmodeus, well, he didn't have his spells since Mystra just died (or his staff for that matter, as it was planted in Mystra's skull at the time). He could have been overrun with pit fiends, unable to flee to safety.

But...he landed in the Nine Hells...why? That is my point. He should have went to some Lawful Neutral Plane.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Tarrok of Halruaa
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  19:20:36  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote was for other as you missed out MOANDER who would get my vote. Bring on the shambling mounds!
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  20:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Absolutely! It might have something to do with the fact that my introduction to FR is through the Baldur's Gate games (all flavours) and Helm / Helmites seem to feature prominently in them, but I do an admiration for the big guy and his followers, who strike me as the sort of folks you really want watching your back and by your side when the proverbial hits the fan.

Lathander with his Dawn Cataclysm gubbins, on the other hand, seems far too vain and self absorbed to be fully trusted not to do something remarkably stupid.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  20:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No love for Lathander? Ah, well...
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  20:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Mask, but Deneir is a close second for me. Eilistraee is also pretty high on my list.

Edited by - Hawkins on 15 Mar 2011 20:57:12
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  21:38:50  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'll go for Savras here, though his power had diminished a lot, I loved his portfoloio, and also the fact he was the god worshipped by the greatest seer ever

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  22:37:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

He would be my second choice.

I picked Mystra partially because I like her, but more because I dislike the reasoning behind her demise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  23:06:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander is too goody-two-shoes for my taste. I miss Gruumsh.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  23:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Didn't miss him - I was limited on the number of "options" that I could put in the poll.

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrok of Halruaa

My vote was for other as you missed out MOANDER who would get my vote. Bring on the shambling mounds!

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  00:37:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I still have Lathander in my campaigns, along with Amaunator... but that's a story for another time.

My vote is tied between Mystra/Deneir.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  03:19:36  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't play 4e Realms, so I'm not certain my vote should count. My games are in 1368/9 and these dieties are all thus mostly still present.

But, if I were playing post-Spellplague I'd guess Tyr, because I think a God of Justice is central to most pantheons.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_

Edited by - GMWestermeyer on 20 Mar 2011 21:13:15
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  03:24:26  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mask will be back in some form. Paul Kemp has sown the seeds for it.

Mystra will be back in some form. Ed has also sown the seeds for it. She has been dead before.

Many of the other dieties protfolios have merely been subsumed into another Gods. That is fine by me and is nothing new to the realms. Infact I have always quite enjoyed the plottings of the Gods.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  05:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I enjoy the intrigue (pardon the saying) that Mask, Mystra, et al brought to the Realms, although I know Ed wanted more focus on the dogma and daily rituals of each deity's worshippers. I can only hope you're right, jornan. Scribe, let me know the day and time and I'll cozy up to the fire and listen. Lathander is such a great multipurpose deity that his absence is felt when trying to balance some of the remaining deities. I just don't think that Amaunator is a cookie-cutter replacement for Lathander.

On an unrelated note: I'd be interested in a poll on which "modules" (prepackaged adventures) people most enjoyed. I remember loving Desert of Desolation around Raurin...both as a player and a DM. Unfortunately, my collection and knowledge of the various adventures doesn't make me the best choice for assembling a poll. It was interesting to me because it had the Mulhorandi pantheon as a feature as well as some great battles.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  07:56:08  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Mask will be back in some form. Paul Kemp has sown the seeds for it.

Mystra will be back in some form. Ed has also sown the seeds for it. She has been dead before.

Many of the other dieties protfolios have merely been subsumed into another Gods. That is fine by me and is nothing new to the realms. Infact I have always quite enjoyed the plottings of the Gods.

Mask..whhyyyyy!! ..whyyyy!!! ... he's coming back!! yes!! What would my collection of rogues be without good ol' Mask!

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  08:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

To think: I didn't even vote for myself!
I'll rue the day...

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  12:46:50  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just thought I'd chime in to say that I love the fact that Moander is "dead." Of course I have known of him for a long time, but he has just recently come onto my radar as something I can use. I love the fact that he is still lurking at the edges like an infestation of mold, very difficult to eradicate completely. So many possibilities...

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  13:06:46  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bhaal...
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  13:08:34  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myrkul was quite interesting, as well...
Go to Top of Page

ajfurst
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  13:14:58  Show Profile  Visit ajfurst's Homepage Send ajfurst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra from the list. And by Mystra I mean Mystra, not Midnight. I'd love to see Mystra return. Her and Bane facing off is much better then Midnight and Cyric ever was.

I haven't a WOTC subscription so I don't know if he's dead or where he's gone, but I want Finder in 4E. Heck demote him to a 'mere' demi-god servant of Tymora if need be, but he was more interesting then most of the gods left intact.

Edited by - ajfurst on 16 Mar 2011 13:15:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000