Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Official list of 4e Deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  18:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone provide me with a list of which deities have shown up on official 4e Realms products (be they novel, setting book, or DDI article). Knowing there status ([greater] deity, exarch, et cetera) would also be nice. This is something that I just have not been able to get a good fix on, and it is bothering me. I will edit the following post as a running list of which deities are known.

Thanks,
Hawkins

P.S. Though it may not be necessary, I would like to note that this is not to become a battleground over anyone's perceptions of the 4e Realms.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  18:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the FRCG:
Greater Deities
Amaunator
Asmodeus
Bane
Chauntea
Corellon
Cyric
Ghaunadaur
Gruumsh
Kelemvor
Lolth
Moradin
Oghma
Selune
Shar
Silvanus
Sune
Tempus
Torm
Gods
Umberlee
Exarchs
Marthammor Duln

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  18:44:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wikipedia offers summarized lists of D&D core deities and Forgotten Realms deities, along with many links which provide further details. Additional information might be found at the FR Wiki.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Mar 2011 18:45:32
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  18:51:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Wikipedia offers summarized lists of D&D core deities and Forgotten Realms deities, along with many links which provide further details. Additional information might be found at the FR Wiki.

The Wikipedia articles (at least for the Realms) relies heavily on pre-4e lists. The FR Wiki looks more promising. I will see what I can glean from it. Thanks!

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  18:57:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In one of the web articles, Nobanion was listed as an Exarch -- but they very quickly went back and removed that reference.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  00:41:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

In one of the web articles, Nobanion was listed as an Exarch -- but they very quickly went back and removed that reference.

The removed tidbit that Wooly referred to above is as follows:-

"Nobanion

Lord Firemane, Lord of Gulthandor
Unaligned Exarch of Silvanus
Seen as a great protector and guardian across the Vilhon Wilds, Nobanion (No-BAN-yun) appears as a great male lion of at least twice normal size. His coat gleams with the radiance of the sun, and his mane is incredibly thick and luxurious. Sometimes the Lion God's mane ignites in a nimbus of amber and golden fire, the origin of his title "Lord Firemane." At will he can sprout the wings of a gigantic eagle.

Thought to be a favored champion of Silvanus, Nobanion now rules the forested realm of Gulthandor from the druidic stronghold of Cedarsproke. Beyond Gulthandor, Lord Firemane is also honored as the titular ruler of the wemic Tenpaw tribe of the Shining Plains. Clerics of Silvanus who honor the tenets of the King of Lions are known as Roaring Avengers.

Exarchs
The exarchs are often called demigods or heroes, and many are ascended mortal servants of greater gods, brought up from the world to serve as agents of their divine masters. Many, but not all, attract worshipers of their own, and they have some ability to grant spells, but are more often simply conduits from the mortal world to the attention of the higher gods. For example, the druids of Gulthandor pay homage to the Lion God, but in reality the character's divine spells are being granted by Nobanion's patron, Silvanus. Unlike true deities, exarchs are not bound to live in Astral Dominions with their patrons. Like Nobanion, many choose to live on the Material Plane, more directly engaged in the lives of their mortal followers.

Finally, exarchs in D&D campaigns are fully intended to be defeatable by any epic-level PC strong enough to attempt it. Of course, immortal beings are not just sitting around waiting for epic-level adventurers to take their life. And should the PCs even succeed in such an endeavor, they'll surely have earned the wrath of the exarch's patron deity."

Note also, that one of the timeline entries concerning Nobanion, was also removed. As well as two bits from the entry on 'Turmish.'

Specifically:-

"1391 DR (Year of the Wrathful Eye)
The dark druid Zalaznar Crinios leads a great host of fell beasts to sack the forest community of Gurnth. Nobanion calls his followers to his side at Machran Spire in an effort to counter the pending invasion."

And:-

"North and west of Turmish beyond the Orsraun and Alaoreum Mountains stretches the forested realm of Gulthandor, ruled by a powerful and enigmatic druid in lion's form its followers name Nobanion."

--

"Nobanion is calling all able-bodied adventurers to his side at Machran Spire in an effort to counter the pending invasion."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  10:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the book with me, but here are some off the top of my head that I know 100% are in there:

EXARCHS: Fzoul Chembryl
Obould

I believe Mielikki is in the GODS (i'm about 80% on this, might be a Greater but I'm not too sure). I think Milil is either a God or an Exarch.

Now my brain hurts trying to figure it all out. I'll list it at home tonight if I remember and come back tommorow with all the answers you seek (again if I remember)....unless someone beats me to it of course

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  12:50:42  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to resurrect this scroll, as I am very interested in this topic myself, having read the Lady Penitent series not so long ago and reading the Empyrean Odyssey atm.
Therefore, I'd like to ask you, Hawkins - or any other scribe - to comlete the list of the (remaining) deities in the 4th Ed. Realms.

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  13:38:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Three relatively new exarchs: Erevis Cale (if he's still alive), Drasek Riven, and Rivalen Tanthul. Probably Vasen, too.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  21:59:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Three relatively new exarchs: Erevis Cale (if he's still alive), Drasek Riven, and Rivalen Tanthul. Probably Vasen, too.

Hi Dennis,

do you have a source (novel/rule book) for this?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  05:41:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

Hi Dennis,

do you have a source (novel/rule book) for this?
The Twilight War trilogy by Paul S. Kemp. The aforementioned three absorbed the essence of a quasi-divine being of shadow known as Volumvax. Vasen on the other hand is the son of Cale whose fate Mask meddled with (and whose adventure we'll see more in Godborn).

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  08:52:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Twilight War trilogy by Paul S. Kemp. The aforementioned three absorbed the essence of a quasi-divine being of shadow known as Volumvax. Vasen on the other hand is the son of Cale whose fate Mask meddled with (and whose adventure we'll see more in Godborn).

I am not sure if this is actually enough reference. I have read the trilogy myself and would not make the conclusion that the afore mentioned persons would be considered exarchs now. Has this been varified by any other official source, e.g. a sourcebook or Paul S. Kemp himself?

If at all, I would believe them to be Chosen - which are not the same as an exarch, though it is possible for a Chosen to ascend to the rank of exarch (see p. 72 FR Campaign Guide). Therefore I would like to ask you for another quote that specifically states them as exachs.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Feb 2013 09:32:31
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  10:02:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's not really "official." Even page 260 of the FR Campaign Guide states that "High Priest of Shar in all of Netheril, Rivalen is the goddess’s most powerful devotee in the world, comparable [italics added] to the exarchs of other gods." So technically he's not an exarch, but his powers are comparable to one, maybe more. So are Cale and Riven, I suppose; they were Chosen of Mask (and probably still are, if Mask is still "alive").

Perhaps we should ask Paul?

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  18:13:00  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ascension of the three exarchs Dennis mentioned was a pretty big event in the realms: the twilight war. So it's probably canon enough.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  21:20:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

The ascension of the three exarchs Dennis mentioned was a pretty big event in the realms: the twilight war. So it's probably canon enough.

Be that as it may - what other names can be added to this list of Hawkins?

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

From the FRCG:
Greater Deities
Amaunator
Asmodeus
Bane
Chauntea
Corellon
Cyric
Ghaunadaur
Gruumsh
Kelemvor
Lolth
Moradin
Oghma
Selune
Shar
Silvanus
Sune
Tempus
Torm
Gods
Umberlee
Exarchs
Marthammor Duin

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Feb 2013 21:22:02
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  10:44:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nendawen is another exarch . He serves Silvanus , I don't remember his portfolio exactly but it probably had something to do with hunting.
The source is the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy by Mark Sehestedt.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  12:45:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There are many exarchs listed in the FRCG.

Corellon's: Deep Sashelas, Erevan, Fenmarel, Labelas, Shevarash, and Solonor.

Garl Glittergold's: Baervan, Baravar, and Callarduran.

Bane's: Abbathor, Fzoul Chembryl, Hoar, Hruggek, and Maglubiyet.

Silvanus's: Malar.

Mielikki's: Shiallia.

Moradin's: Clangeddin, Dugmaren, Marthammor, Thard, Marthammor Duin, and Vergadain.

Amaunator's: Siamorphe.

Sune's: Lliira and Sharess.

Sheela's: Arvoreen, Brandobaris, and Cyrrollalee.

Oghma's: Milil.

Gruumsh's: Bahgtru, Obould, Shargaas, and Vaprak.

Tempus's: Garagos, the Red Knight, Uthgar, and Valkur.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  15:49:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not for nothin, but it must suck to be a god one day, then find out that another god's mortal servant is more powerful than you because the edition changed.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  16:14:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup - in D&D/FR becoming 'a god' just paints a big target on your back.

People wonder why Larloch (and others of his caliber) haven't gone after godhood... its because he's SMART. There is ALWAYS a 'bigger fish' - keeping a low profile is key to survival. Becoming a deity is just an ego thing, and pretty stupid in the long run (I guess those primordials knew better).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Feb 2013 16:14:55
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  04:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the OP asking for "what deities appear in novels" or "what deities are MENTIONED in novels"? Because I've mentioned several in my novels who aren't listed in a 4e sourcebook as being alive, much less in power.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yup - in D&D/FR becoming 'a god' just paints a big target on your back.
People wonder why Larloch (and others of his caliber) haven't gone after godhood... its because he's SMART. There is ALWAYS a 'bigger fish' - keeping a low profile is key to survival. Becoming a deity is just an ego thing, and pretty stupid in the long run (I guess those primordials knew better).
Larloch seeking godhood is actually a plot in a campaign I'm running now, but in that case, it's not out of desire for personal power but out of desperation. The will to endure is strong in Larloch.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  07:55:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Is the OP asking for "what deities appear in novels" or "what deities are MENTIONED in novels"? Because I've mentioned several in my novels who aren't listed in a 4e sourcebook as being alive, much less in power.

Hi Eric,

Just go ahead and throw them at us. If you can provide further insights to them (status, motivations, etc.) that be great. I suppose the ones you mentioned in your books can be considered canon?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  12:02:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Servants becoming masters. Masters becoming servants. Old news. But doesn't necessarily mean bad. Context is what matters most--to me at least.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  17:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Just go ahead and throw them at us. If you can provide further insights to them (status, motivations, etc.) that be great. I suppose the ones you mentioned in your books can be considered canon?
Well, unless contradicted by a later source, all material that appears in an official FR novel is canon, so yeah.

To clarify my original question, I meant "which gods do mortals talk about" as opposed to "which ones actually physically appear as named characters." Because that latter scenario is somewhat rare in modern FR fiction, and I think it will be quite rare moving forward (at least, so WotC claims is their plan).

In my Shadowbane novels, one of the characters talks frequently about Mystra (who is a living, breathing goddess to her at the time), there was at least one mention of Leira (by a 4e-era worshiper), and there's a heretical cult called the Eye of Justice which worships an amalgamation of Helm, Tyr, and Torm called the Threefold God. This deity is the "patron deity" of my main character Shadowbane, though he focuses on one of the three aspects (Helm), going so far as to refer to his patron directly as Helm at times.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  18:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was asking which deities were "alive" in the 4e Realms. They give us an incomplete list. So, basically, if you were to take the 3e Faiths and Pantheons Table of Contents, who is now a Greater Deity, who is now a God, who is now an Exarch, and who has been added (who is now dead would not be bad as well). Sorry, it had been so long since I started this scroll that I forgot about it.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 20 Feb 2013 18:37:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000