Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cliff Dwellings in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  20:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Out of curiosity, are there any places in the Realms where the villages and/or cities are built halfway up cliffs?

Failing that, are there any good places to put them?

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  21:16:27  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely remember there being a high security prison-temple to Ilmater carved out of a cliff...

EDIT: Aye, I found it.

I thought about the Cloister of St. Ramedar in Mount Adiir of the Star Spire mountain range that falls into the soutern Swordcoast, with its entry that's called the Chapel of the Whipping Winds built into the 700ft high cliffs of the Sea of Swords.

More can be found on page 142 of Powers and Pantheons.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 27 Feb 2011 21:29:46
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  21:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recall any cliff dwelling like the native americans used in parts of the southwest. The Realms does have an impressive fortress called the Citadel of the Ravens in the Dragonspine Mountains. Up to the 3.5/4.0 changes it was run by the Zhentarin. I'm nor sure who has it now, but one of the other sage will certainly know.

As for a likely location, I'd look for mountain ranges near the lands of primative/near primative people. Certainly the Spine of the World moauntains could work, as might the Tashalar Mountains near the jungles of Chult. Likewise, any of the mountains of Rashaman could have a fortress/village carved iunto the mountain as a precaution against the Red Wizards.

Those are my initial thoughts, I suspect the rest of the gang here will have many more.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  22:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My model for Many-Arrows has several dozen such settlements in it, considering the bulk of their territory is occupied by the Spine of the World.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  02:23:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is/was a tribe in Maztica - the Azuposi - who live in pueblos. The text doesn't specify if any of them are true cliff-dwellers, though.

There are also the Maviddi who lived in anthill-like mounds in the east, in the lost Realm of Guge. Still not precisely what you are looking for.

One might assume that at least one tribe of Shaarans dwell in the cliffs along the Landrise, but that would be conjecture (besides, they are mostly nomadic).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  02:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do the gold dwarves have vertical cities in the walls of the Great Rift?
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  03:40:35  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Airspur! I believe I touched on it a bit in my Dungeon article, but I will have to go back and check when I get time.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  05:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably mention that if your example is from 4e I will have no idea where it would be.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  07:21:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd think the dwarves would carve sophisticated stuff which more resembles Petra than a bunch of "primitive" American cliff dwellings.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  12:09:47  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like in Tethyr (monasteries) and Amn (citadels) the Eastern Realms also have monasteries and forts, e.g. places like Ra-khati and Guge.

Thay builds settlements and defensive structures inside the plateau walls, called escarpments I think.

Not counting dwarves and other Underdark races and halflings, the Netherese that lived below the Wood of Sharp Teeth had houses in the pueblo style.

I think that Mulmaster was in part built from cliffs.

Aquatic races of Seros have a similar tradition, only with corals, for example the city in Yhaunn's bay, lost city of Atin, the Hmur plateau.

Or just move the city of Three Swords in the Shaar a bit.

The Sword Coast is ideal for such a place, it's too uninhabited and supposedly there are harbor issues. Or the High Moor, I wanted to place Kaer Maga from PF on the edge of the plateau there.

Not sure about Scardale.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  16:20:23  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Do the gold dwarves have vertical cities in the walls of the Great Rift?

The dwarves more than likely have vertical cities, but the bulk would be within the cliff and only parts of it would 'stick out' of the cliff-face. The Great Rift Skyguards would need places to land and launch from.

I could imagine something like the place where Obi-Wan fought that droid-leader (can't think of the name) and where he rode a giant lizard-like creature.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  20:07:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I imagine the Great Rift Dwarves of FR, I think of the Wildhammer Dwarves of WoW.

Their keep is built into the side of a mountain, with several 'windows' (areas where parts of the keep stick-out from the rock wall), and a Gryphon-launching balcony (Great Rift probably have lots of those).

As for the OP, some of the K-T Monks live in cave-complexes (holy sites), and a couple of those temples are ravines with bunches of caves openings. I would assume a few Western (FR) monks have similar setups, but I can't think of any canon ones.

Also, any of the Aeriee-descended races could be good candidates for cliff-dwellers. I think in 4e there is a large group of them (corbies? I forget) down in Veldorn, presumably in that mountain range (southern Giants Belt)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2012 20:08:00
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  20:12:41  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kenobi destroyed General Grievous on the planet Utapau. That would be a cool way to build a city, a ring of construction on each level etc.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  01:48:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Kenobi destroyed General Grievous on the planet Utapau. That would be a cool way to build a city, a ring of construction on each level etc.

And you'll find a great deal of useful campaign-ideas for such a cliff-dwelling locale, here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  18:32:03  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to bring up Drizzt for those who don't care for him but in this instance it's necessary and even canon as it was located by a FR author. I forget which book as it's been a while since I read them but one of the later books in the now Legend of Drizzt series defines a realm similar to what the OP is describing in the small jut of hills that comes off the Spine of the World mountains SE of Auckney and NW of Luskan along the coastline.

If memory serves me correctly it was a mixed realm of ogres, half-ogres, and humans and was used as a base by Shiela Kree - the pirate that wound up with Wulfgar's hammer, Aegis Fang.

It had a cave similar to the one that 'One-Eyed Willie' from the movie Goonies sailed his ship into, many tunnels and rooms throughout the interior of the structure and balconies opening to its outside as well as a winding pathway that circled the structure and provided access to (many, several, some? of) the doors into the structure.

I don't know if this is cliff-dweller-style building in the sense of the Hopi or Anasazi pueblo-dwellers but it's the closest reference I can think of.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  01:38:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! and I'll add that Menzo itself is partly built this way, as (was) Ched Nasad. Though most of the "City of Webs" was made from calcified webs, a goo portion of what survived was carved into the cliffs on either side, IIRC. In fact, I believe Q'arlynd Melarn was busy recovering items from the bottom of one of those cliffs at the beginning of the first Lady Penitant book.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  07:23:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, both Avariel and Aarakocra qualify, they live on mountains. Aerie of the Snow Eagles is on the mountaintop, but it's a heavily enchanted glassteel habitat - others may be more concerned with winds.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  00:42:13  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Aerie of the Snow Eagles is an avariel population living in the Sossal area

it is located atop Mt Sundabar, and inside the glassteel fortress it is a jungle-like climate

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  00:43:26  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also the Monastery of the Yellow Rose a mountain fortress in the Glacier of the White Worm

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000