Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tarrasque
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  20:08:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's just an organic weapons platform, basically a panzerstomp. The last (or one of the last) living remnant from some impossibly ancient half-forgotten godswar. The Tarrasque was probably not even a remarkable unit, it wouldn't stand out much on the battlefield, all the weapons of the time were imbued with at least a little divine rank/energy and colossal destruction was the norm. Maybe it's a leftover from a previous universe. Maybe Ao keeps it around out of fondness.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  22:39:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact issue 3, but it was in an issue with a beholder on the cover, with several articles on beholders, werebeasts, and other such odd-ball PC races, I think. Hope that helps, but most of my issues are in storage, so I can't look it up ATM. I only remember that it had several cults, such as one of Illithid thralls who took on some of their traits (probably related to the cerebromorphosis from the Illithiad), a cult of beholder-worshipers, and another one I can't recall. It was sometime in the late 200's or possibly early 300's, though.

Time to consult The DragonDex.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  00:24:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

That lore is a small piece of the now-defunct Kara-Tur netbook project I was working on. Not canon, of course. I may still use bits of that in the (hopefully) still back-burner Utter East project. The Hordelands have a monster (the Dzalmaus) that just looks too much like King Ghidorah for me to pass up, and the 3e OA books include a colossal Spider (which is really Rokugon, but we can pilfer it). Its a 'giant monsters' love-fest in the East!
Whatever happened to that 'Kara-Tur' netbook anyways?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  01:40:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started organizing all the data we compiled, sifting through nearly a hundred pages of posts...

And then the 4e announcement happened.

I put the whole thing on hold until the GHotR came out, and then further stalled it by waiting to see what 4e had to say about the east (which obviously wasn't worth the wait), and by that time the WotC boards had become low-trafic (after it Gleemaxed everyone to death), and what few people I had around to help all gave up on the boards (and some on the Realms).

As I said, it will make it all into something - some of the better bits I'm using in my own setting. A good chunk of it I plan for either a Hordelands or an Utter East netbook (maybe both - they tie together). Those are much smaller projects in scope - the original K-T one was a full-blown 3e/OGL conversion of the entire K-T setting, along with two sub-settings (The Hordelands and malatra: The Living Jungle) and a bunch of brand-new material for the southernmost lands (some of which was derived from the Mahasarpa WE, which I squeezed onto the map). It was going to includ all new character classes, feats,races, etc... too big for one guy to handle, or even a team of amateurs.

I will take bites out of it a little at a time. I just ordered my new vid-card and memory today, so hopefully I will have my comp up-to-snuff by Tuesday or so, and can finally use my new Abode Suite to it's full potential (right now it lags like crazy, even when I only open a single app).

And to steer this back on topic, I found an entry for the terrasque on pg.30 of the GHotR. At east, that's a pic of the terrasque... lord knows how much that vinget has to do with the illustration.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2011 01:43:16
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  19:26:57  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my Realms he is its Godzilla.
He was made when the Realms was still very very young and magics that should have never been used, were and so he was born.
The Tarrasque..... He just is.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  02:12:50  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Tarrasque,the Armageddon Engine
Of all the abominable Spawn of Rovagug, the eternal horror called the Armageddon Engine is by far the simplest in appearance and design: formed symmetrically and efficiently in the shape of a vast, hunched vertebrate, it possesses neither tentacles nor wings nor ichorous, alien tendrils of mysterious purpose. It has but two eyes and a single maw, bearing a biped’s build with a quadruped’s tail; its form is arrayed with horns, claws, and teeth set for one purpose only: eliminating life. The raw, absolute lethality of the Tarrasque is beheld in its workmanship: a perfect predator combining the sleek grace of the hunting cat, the stunning ferocity of the shark, and the overwhelming force of the silverback gorilla.
Beyond its incalculable killing power and extraordinary size, the otherworldly carapace of the Tarrasque is its most notable feature, literally capable of deflecting (or even reflecting) nearly all known supernatural assaults. The teeth of the Tarrasque are its most dangerous weapons, severing through flesh, bones, steel, and stone with equal ease. The jaws of the Armageddon Engine are swift to gulp down whole villages into the crushing dark of its gut, though few survive to experience such hell, rent asunder by the onslaught of scimitar-sized fangs. Even the horns and tail of so awesome a foe are deadly weapons, capable of turning a nation’s most elite warriors into sticky crimson mist.

Pathfinder: Legacy of Fire part 6, The Final Wish pp. 54

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Feb 2011 02:15:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000