Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Avariel (4E)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  05:09:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
AVARIEL

Average Height: 5' 2" - 6' 2"
Average Weight: 110 - 170 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity; +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Perception
Avariel Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the longsword and longbow
Fey Origin: Your ancestors were one of the oldest elven races to come to Faerūn, and as such are considered a fey creature for the purposes of effects that relate to creature origin.
Flight: Once per encounter, you can use the Flight power.

Flight; Avariel Racial Power
You spread your feather like wings and take to the skies.
Encounter * Move Action
Effect: you gain fly 6 (clumsy), if you are not standing on solid ground at the end of your movement you glide to the ground without taking damage.

Racial Feats

Born Flyer
Prerequisite: Avariel, Flight racial power; 11th level
Benefit: You may use your Flight power as an at-will ability

Improved Flight
Prerequisite: Avariel, Flight racial power, 11th level
Benefit: Your maneuverability while flying is improved by one category

Play an Avariel if you want...
  • to fly amongst the clouds and attack foes from above.

• to be a carefree risk-taker that enjoyes aerial combat as well as combining the traditions of skill at arms with magical prowess.

• [*] to be a member of a race that favors the cleric, ranger, and wizard classes.

I whipped this up using the combination of the Fey'ri statblock that was posted here a while ago and the Elf statblock from the PHB/Essentials. Enjoy!!

Edited by - Diffan on 17 Feb 2011 05:09:28

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  05:36:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan — have you ever read the Avariel entries in the Savage Coast freebies? Nothing new about racial stats, but some good background fluff and unique magics.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  05:42:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Diffan — have you ever read the Avariel entries in the Savage Coast freebies? Nothing new about racial stats, but some good background fluff and unique magics.

No I didn't, but I'll see if they're still obtainable. I was going from the Races of Faerūn book for a little bit of lore they published in there. Thats how I got the +2 Dex; +2 Int or +2 Wis for their stats. Thanks for the source plug though. I'm sure I can pull some 4E conversions with it
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  05:47:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a link for those Savage Coast articles?

Book One: Orcs Head? I'm not seeing anything in there at first glance, of course it is late and I'm overtired, but I am very interested in Avariel lore and, of course, any magical items used by them.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 17 Feb 2011 05:55:02
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  06:03:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The avariel of the Savage Coast fashion their weaponry from razor sharp shards of glassteel. It's argued that glazing (glassworking) is safer than redsmithing (red steel forging) because their wing feathers are extremely flammable. I could never quite accept this: a foundry full of molten glass might be lower temperature than a forge full of glowing metal, but both would still easily exceed the ignition and burn temperatures of flesh and feather.

They're also allied with the enduks (winged minotaurs), lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  06:26:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently the wizards have moved their strange floating libraries around again. Current download links are here.

Even older freebies exist, but they're RTF versions of the same material, not as pretty as the PDFs. One archive is here.

Savage Coast is an isolated coastal region, officially set in Mystara, but it can easily be installed into any world (especially easy to do after SpellPlague). It's written for 2E but I think that, with a little work, it would be ideally suited for a 4E campaign. Lots of excellent campaign fluff, red steel, fighting schools, firearms, races and monsters, good stuff. Enjoy.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 17 Feb 2011 20:47:31
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  12:12:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx, Arik! It appears as if the manscorpion is featured therein as well, wasn't that just being discussed in another thread?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 17 Feb 2011 12:45:22
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  16:04:10  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking care of that, Diffan. One less headache for me!

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  18:26:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Thanks for taking care of that, Diffan. One less headache for me!

You betcha!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  20:50:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, SC has manscorpions, though not as a player race. This material was freely released by WotC (though of course they hold full copyright), it predates OGL and has little to do with the scorpionfolk presented in the d20 SRD.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  16:03:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what sort of properties Glassteel would have using 4E rules??

Since each material has some sort of special ability, I could see these sorts of weapon having a property that makes them harder to spot (Perception skill).

Suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  19:08:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's glass, magically made unbreakable and strong as steel. Uses best saves of both materials to resist damage. SC points out that glass weapons weigh half as much as normal metal ones (fair enough, density of glass and steel), so they'd make lousy bludgeons. SC suggests glass requires lower temperatures to forge (not quite true, melting points of glass and steel), so glassteel wouldn't resist extreme heat as well as actual steel.

I think 4E rules might note glass blades and edges are exceedingly sharp. Completely inflexible. Subject to shatter and similar spells. Visually impressive when subject to light magics (much like transparent plexi/lexan materials). They might not be perfectly transparent, they could contain impurities (or intentional additives) which give them the appearance of colour-tinted stained glass, opaque, veined, smoked, or frosted glass, crystalline or gemstone glass, etc. Avariel glass smiths, being elfy types, would undoubtedly practice great artistry in the blades they fashion. It might be helpful to consider avariel weapon-grade glass as a different substance than, say, "regular" glassteel windows which protect a cabinet full of scrolls and maps.

It might be helpful to think of glassteel as a superhardened glass (even harder than borosilicate pyrex glassware) or a kind of hard ceramic (like the variety used in sparkplugs) ... these are able to withstand tremendous impact and abuse yet remain unbroken (or only slightly chipped), though they can completely shatter (sometimes explosively) under extreme force.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Feb 2011 19:26:45
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  19:22:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this build, though I think 4e design philosophy would lend itself better to making the Avariel subrace a matter of one or two feats, some alternate skills, and roleplaying notes leveled on a baseline Elf racial build.

(Like what I mentioned about star elves elsewhere!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  13:59:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I like this build, though I think 4e design philosophy would lend itself better to making the Avariel subrace a matter of one or two feats, some alternate skills, and roleplaying notes leveled on a baseline Elf racial build.

(Like what I mentioned about star elves elsewhere!)

Cheers

Yea, I agree.

For those who don't want a whole new Race to use at their table and just add on to the specific flavor. Then I present this feat--

Avariel Flight
You have graceful, feathered wings that allows you to take flight.
Prerequisites: Elf, must have the elven accuracy racial power.
Benefit: You exchange your elven accuracy racial power for the Flight racial power.
Special: You may not select this feat if you already have Wild Elf Luck or Wood Elf Agility.

Flight; Avariel Racial Power
You spread your feather like wings and take to the skies.
Encounter * Move Action
Effect: you gain fly 6 (clumsy), if you are not standing on solid ground at the end of your movement you glide to the ground without taking damage.

This, I think, makes it more balanced and still allows for the Improved Flight and Born Flyer feats listed in the OP.

Edited by - Diffan on 20 Feb 2011 17:24:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000