Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lythari in Elven Society
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  03:34:47  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've read through the posts here and looked at my sources. My question is this. Do the lythari have any place in the Elven cities? Either now or in the history of the Realms? Or do they spend all of their time running around the woods hunting with their tribe and what have you? Are there no more "civilized" individuals? Were there ever any notable lythari warriors or mages?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  04:18:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lore I have read appears to indicate that they have their own society.
They do interact with elves and others from time to time, even to taking a few into the lifestyle. They live in woods, there is nothing that indicates that they do not visit cities from time to time. Such visits for trade most likely.

In some ways I take exception to your premise that if an elf does not live in a city that they are uncivilized. It does not take living in a city to be civilized.

As to notable lythari warriors or mages I do not recall any in lore, however you should be sure that the pack clearly has some known to them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  04:21:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hence the quotes, Kentinal.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  04:53:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lythari exist in their own groups, and are apparently quite content to do so. Lythari are primarily inclined to hang in small groups with other lythari, mostly isolated from other elfkind. When they do interact with other elves, it's pretty much when and where the lythari choose.

You could prolly say they exist on the extreme fringes of elven society, but even that implies a place in the larger society of elves that really doesn't exist.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  05:13:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel Frostfell offers some intriguing tidbits on lythari society in the Realms -- both the "western"-termed lythari and the Vil Adranath [which is just an "eastern" term used to describe the same type of lycanthropic elves].

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  05:17:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

They do interact with elves and others from time to time, even to taking a few into the lifestyle.
I'd say that interaction with others is somewhat limited -- depending on the race in question, of course.

For example, as Elaine Cunningham has indicated in the past, humans really aren't all that knowledgeable about the lythari -- appreciating only that they are largely reclusive and that they're elves. Suggesting only very rare encounters between the two races.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  05:19:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The novel Frostfell offers some intriguing tidbits on lythari society in the Realms -- both the "western"-termed lythari and the Vil Adranath [which is just an "eastern" term used to describe the same type of lycanthropic elves].

I personally regard the Vil Adranath as an offshoot race of lythari -- a subgroup of lythari that is now somewhat different from the "parent" lythari race.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  05:22:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I personally regard the Vil Adranath as an offshoot race of lythari -- a subgroup of lythari that is now somewhat different from the "parent" lythari race.

The novel itself really doesn't make that much of a particular distinction between the two, though. For the most part, the differences between the Vil Adranath and the lythari are largely cultural.

It's an intriguing premise, however, to view the Adranath as an offshoot racial branch. And one I keenly hope to explore... eventually, once I get all my notes together and start reworking my current theory on the subject.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  05:37:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The novel itself really doesn't make that much of a particular distinction between the two, though. For the most part, the differences between the Vil Adranath and the lythari are largely cultural.

It's an intriguing premise, however, to view the Adranath as an offshoot racial branch. And one I keenly hope to explore... eventually, once I get all my notes together and start reworking my current theory on the subject.

Well, when I read Frostfell, I didn't feel like his lythari had the same feel as Elaine's lythari, or as the lythari I've read in the source material. That's why I regard them as a subgroup. I've come up with my own theory for how this group could have split off from the main race, too.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  06:17:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there was a lythari in Windwalker. She was an Eilistraeean, IIRC, but I can't remember her name.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000