Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Followers of Sharess
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kanya Skulls
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  16:18:44  Show Profile  Visit Kanya Skulls's Homepage Send Kanya Skulls a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How, do you think, would act characters of diffrent races, alignments and classes worshiping Sharess? How would you role-play an CG (well, that's kinda easy), CN, ND, N, LN, LG, etc. character? How would you role-play a fighter, rogue, wizard, etc.? I'm very curious, because I like The Dancing Lady (I'm practically a follower myself) but my mind is too simple to come up with answers to this questions and would be super happy to have my character be role-played good in this regard (her religion, I mean).

Disclaimer: I spewed all of this out off the top of my head and make no claim whatsoever that any of it is accurate or even correct.

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kanya Skulls

How, do you think, would act characters of diffrent races, alignments and classes worshiping Sharess? How would you role-play an CG (well, that's kinda easy), CN, ND, N, LN, LG, etc. character? How would you role-play a fighter, rogue, wizard, etc.? I'm very curious, because I like The Dancing Lady (I'm practically a follower myself) but my mind is too simple to come up with answers to this questions and would be super happy to have my character be role-played good in this regard (her religion, I mean).

There's actually an extremely useful section in the 3e Book of Erotic Fantasy on this, views on sex by race, class, and alignment. As this is probably *exactly* what you're asking about, I recommend checking it out if you can find a copy. (Search used bookstores, ebay, or the local library.)

In general, I would imagine good-aligned characters are more giving and care more about the other person, neutral aligned characters are either more selfish or believe in a strict balance, and evil aligned characters tend toward being completely self-centered or actively using sex as a weapon. (Not saying seduction isn't a valuable tactic, but evil characters tend to be more malicious about it.)

Think about what aspects of Sharess your character emphasizes over the others. Is it the sexuality, the hedonism, the dancing, etc.? A follower of Sharess is probably quite flirtatious, very open-minded, and quite *forward* (though not necessarily to the point of making people uncomfortable). Probably everything he/she does is a little bit flirty, and your character would be marked by a very adventurous streak (i.e., "I'll try anything once--and probably twice.")

Fighters probably favor fencing and graceful sort of combat, rogues emphasize dexterity and charisma-based skills, and wizards probably spend some time researching spells that have both practical and bedroom uses. A character of any class no doubt strives to be as attractive/alluring as possible.

Cheers

P.S. Also, your sig is HUGE. You might consider shortening it a bit for easier discussion.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 09 Feb 2011 18:16:52
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  18:25:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll agree the BoEF is probably ideal for this purpose, though I'll admit I'm a little surprised to see you recommend it, Erik. (I'd sort of assumed that WotC-affiliates would pointedly ignore mentioning third-party books of this sort.)

Sharess and her cults have been discussed many times at Candlekeep, just do a search.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  21:11:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's wrong with the BoEF? I've got a copy, read it, it was interesting. Of course, I also enjoyed Nymphology, though more for the entertainment factor in that one. But it was also "helpful" in dealing with the general subject of love/lust, if only from a tongue-in-cheek point of view. I would see a follower of Sharess not taking anything too seriously, and having a more light approach to most matters. Life is for enjoyment, after all, isn't it? At least according to Sharess.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  21:22:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing "wrong" with BoEF at all, it's actually a fairly good sourcebook (though much of the material has been criticized from a game balance standpoint and it's not all suitable for every group). It just seems like more adult oriented content than what I'd expect WotC policies find acceptable. No doubt Erik is adult enough to handle this sort of material (along with probably all the scribes of Candlekeep), I was just surprised that he'd be outspoken about it.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  21:36:31  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not. Just because someone writes for WotC doesn't mean they own the writer. I'm sure he's still free to read and use/enjoy any source-book he wants to. AFAIK, he's not under any obligation to ONLY WotC books, and more than any other writer is/would be. And by "wrong", I meant that I didn't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to or want to recommend it for the question at hand. And I agree that it is indeed a good source for different races' and classes' views on sex and pleasure- both of which are a major part of Sharess's portfolio.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  14:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I'm not. Just because someone writes for WotC doesn't mean they own the writer. I'm sure he's still free to read and use/enjoy any source-book he wants to. AFAIK, he's not under any obligation to ONLY WotC books, and more than any other writer is/would be. And by "wrong", I meant that I didn't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to or want to recommend it for the question at hand.
^^^ What she said.

I'm not a company man. I am not now nor have I ever been (nor, do I suspect, will I ever be) an employee of Wizards of the Coast, TSR, or its affiliates. I am a freelance writer and can and do freely express my opinion on WotC and non-WotC stuff.

(Caveat: I will say that while I do comment on things I like and find useful, as as a rule I don't deprecate sourcebooks and novels I don't like, both out of professional courtesy and because it's not my place to force my opinion on others.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000