Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Communities of the Underdark
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5620 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2003 :  17:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Hmmmm, this should really all be discussed over in this scroll. Lets see if we can move product discussions over to there now and leave this one for discussing the actual communities of the Underdark. Its already a bit of a mish-mash but we can try to get a little order to the scrolls.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2003 :  04:37:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested, ENWorld's message boards has a thread where a transcript of a chat with the creators of this product.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  05:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admit, I'm a bit biased when it comes to anything Underdark related, but this book really is put together well. I really like the new races (Deep Imaskari the best) and most of the new feats and new spells. I like the idea of the earthnodes and the way they break the underdark down into 3 layers - upper, middle and lower regions. Some of the new monsters are pretty scary too (the All Consuming Hunger and the Arachnoid Mouther are a couple of creatures right out of your worst nightmares).

The coolest part of the book though, has to be the geography section and the info on a lot of the communities that make their homes down there. Not so much the ones we already know about, but the ones that we don't (again, Deep Imaskar comes to mind).

Unlike Sirius Black, I think the artwork is far better than either Sheoloth or Plots and Poisons. (I have both, and I'm sorry bud, but I just don't see it. But as you say, totally subjective) I am a bit confused about "The drow with the electric shock/Buckwheat hairdo", though. Did you mean the Derro in the races section? He does look a little comical. I can't find a Drow in the entire book that matches that description.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  05:22:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Unlike Sirius Black, I think the artwork is far better than either Sheoloth or Plots and Poisons. (I have both, and I'm sorry bud, but I just don't see it. But as you say, totally subjective) I am a bit confused about "The drow with the electric shock/Buckwheat hairdo", though. Did you mean the Derro in the races section? He does look a little comical. I can't find a Drow in the entire book that matches that description. [/font=Tahoma]

Look for a stupid Joker grin on a drow in this anime style art book that looks like a demented Matrix movie gone bad and you should know which picture I'm referring to.

I believe it is in the latter half of the book. I'd love to point you out a page number. But, I shipped this book back for a refund with "hazardous material open at your own risk" on the outside of the package.

I only wish that WOTC would put the artist names a bit clearer on each page's drawings so I know who to directly blame for each picture.

I'm glad you are enjoying the book and its art. Granted, it's not up there with the star elves from Unapparoachable East and their wonderful miner's lamp attached to their forehead. But, hey, we can't have classics like that every day of the week. We'd get spoiled if so.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  11:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Yasraena on this one!

The art is great and the overall presentation is fitting to the quality of 3rd ed FR.

The geographical section is fantastic and as you say, the split levels of the Underdark gives a feeling of wariness of staying clear of the Lower Underdark!!!

This book is MUCH more than I had expected, and my expectations were high!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  05:13:58  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Underdark map surprised me the most...I really had no idea how large an area it actually was. Also, to finally have an absolute reference for where exactly all the various cities and locales of the Underdark (that had been mentioned in the novels and the like) are relative to the surface, really helped me organise for my next upcoming partial Underdark campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  06:46:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I think the Underdark map surprised me the most...

The map was really well done.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1189 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  13:05:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Sage,

First, I want to say that I went to follow the link provided by Master Alaundo, but it was not functioning, so I just came back to the original post. I have to say, and I am sure I very well may catch flak for this, but...

I loved the small, but amazing part about the Glimmersea. To think that it is (20) miles underneath the bottom of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Now granted, the Sea of Fallen Stars isn't particularly deep of course (1,875 feet deep at the Protectorate of Ahlor's), but that is effectively when taken into account down at 22,000 feet to the Glimmersea: 4.14 miles down! Amazing to even consider such a thing, and creepy to me, as I am no Dwarf! haha.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

With the release of the new Underdark tome, I felt the need to start a topic about this interesting subject. As I am sure there will be some significant official canon discussion, I am just as interested in hearing about unofficial changes to races and communities of the Underdark that DM's may have made in their own FR campaigns.

Let's hear from you

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1189 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  07:54:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Alaundo,

Do you have any other way of directing me to that scroll you linked too, that is now defunct?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well Met

Hmmmm, this should really all be discussed over in this scroll. Lets see if we can move product discussions over to there now and leave this one for discussing the actual communities of the Underdark. Its already a bit of a mish-mash but we can try to get a little order to the scrolls.

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
33605 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  11:16:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Alaundo,

Do you have any other way of directing me to that scroll you linked too, that is now defunct?

Best regards,

Try this link.

Ye gods, what an old scroll! I've not seen the name "Sage of Perth" in a long time, and my senile old friend SiriusBlack is long gone from our halls...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1189 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2020 :  20:52:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

As always, thank you! That link worked perfectly.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Alaundo,

Best regards,

Try this link.

Ye gods, what an old scroll! I've not seen the name "Sage of Perth" in a long time, and my senile old friend SiriusBlack is long gone from our halls...

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000