Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Karsus poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  12:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
We all know Karsus was a power hungry Archwizard from the time of netheril but would you consider him a genuis for what he attempted or a Idiot.

Choices:

Genuis
idiot
undecided
other

(Anonymous Vote)

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  12:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i voted undecided because i'm not sure if what he tried to do was profoundly idiotic or a final master stroke of a genuis mind that was missing a color or two.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  12:57:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He's a genius. He just lacked the "proper guidance" to put it to good use.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:03:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think any of these poll options appropriately categorise just what Karsus accomplished.

Granted, we joke and we jive about his "Great Folly," but we also can't dismiss the purely innovative and exceptional genius that would've been required to both research and eventually enact such a plan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point sage! Really i just posted this poll to get everyones basic opinion on the man in general and to urk alistair. He's got some serious hero worship of karsus going on! LOL

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:13:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't think any of these poll options appropriately categorise just what Karsus accomplished.

Granted, we joke and we jive about his "Great Folly," but we also can't dismiss the purely innovative and exceptional genius that would've been required to both research and eventually enact such a plan.

Indeed. I raised it before, not just a few times. People tend to focus only on his folly, and forget that behind such deed is a great mind that threatened the very existence of a powerful deity, fashioned spells many wizards could only dream of making, and twisted the very nature of magic to create the bizarre but unique establishments in his enclave.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Genius I say!! It may have seemed like folly upon the downfall of Netheril, but that was in fact his plan all along. The true genius of his feat will be revealed upon his divine resurrection. Only his true faithful will be rewarded.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:39:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Genius I say!! It may have seemed like folly upon the downfall of Netheril, but that was in fact his plan all along. The true genius of his feat will be revealed upon his divine resurrection. Only his true faithful will be rewarded.

Why am I not surprised?!

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alisttair If he ever comes back to the realms i'm sure he will chose you to be his Avatar and i really mean that bro!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  14:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Synthalus

Alisttair If he ever comes back to the realms i'm sure he will chose you to be his Avatar and i really mean that bro!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  14:42:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Avatar? I thought you're the High Priest?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  14:50:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

Avatar? I thought you're the High Priest?

Exarch. Dvine Servant. Demi-God. High Priest. I am all these things to the mighty Karsus!

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  14:56:16  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Idiot...
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  15:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRYPHON

Idiot...

Me or Karsus??

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  17:44:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Idiot...

Me or Karsus??

Pretty sure that was Gryphon's vote, since it is one of the choices, and Gryphon has a habit of rather short posts.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  18:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Idiot...

Me or Karsus??

Pretty sure that was Gryphon's vote, since it is one of the choices, and Gryphon has a habit of rather short posts.

Oops lol I overlooked that particular option in the voting (because Karsus is so not an idiot), so I thought it just followed up on my last post. Makes more sense now. My bad

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  21:42:52  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
idiot

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  12:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there are far too many people voting him as an idiot

Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  12:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow its a dead lock between idiot and genuis.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  13:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow its a dead lock between idiot and genuis.

Funny how people can be both. High INT score and low WIS score

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  23:14:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Genius is winning.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  23:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm disappointed that "both" isn't an option. He was brilliant, there's no denying that. But he had no common sense whatsoever.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  23:42:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's Other.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  23:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is what I ended up voting for.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  23:47:11  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He should have chose Nergal. Pointing at someone and saying "DIE"
would have been much cleaner for the realms, and we would have got
to play with 10,11, and 12th level spells.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  00:06:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

He should have chose Nergal. Pointing at someone and saying "DIE"
would have been much cleaner for the realms, and we would have got
to play with 10,11, and 12th level spells.

The archdevil or the deity? The former was a puny devil even Alassra managed to hurt badly, and the latter was just a lesser deity, which would not interest Karsus. The genius archwizard needed a very powerful god to exterminate the phaerimm once and for all. Maybe Talos. But the phaerimm could easily absorb lightning and all his favored arsenal. Perhaps it should have been Shar, as the phaerimm are vulnerable to shadow magic.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  01:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he may have meant Jergal.

And didn't Talos have that one lightning bolt spell that could kill anything short of a greater god, regardless of defense?

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  01:25:00  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We all know Karsus was a power hungry Archwizard from the time of netheril but would you consider him a genuis for what he attempted or a Idiot.

Both, a genius for almost pulling it off but an idiot for thinking he could get away with it with no consequences. High intelligence combined with piss poor wisdom.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  01:31:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I think he may have meant Jergal.

And didn't Talos have that one lightning bolt spell that could kill anything short of a greater god, regardless of defense?

Haven't seen Talos throw lightning bolts at the phaerimm, so I can't really say if the phaerimm's magic-absorbing ability would work against him. In Crucible: The Trial of Cyric The Mad, I remember Mystra once denied Talos of access to the Weave. Which, if I'm not mistaken, means he's more or less dependent on the Weave's magic. And if his power is Weave-based, or most of it, then the phaerimm might be able to defend themselves.

Edited by - Dennis on 11 Feb 2011 01:34:37
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  02:34:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The phaerimm have no divine rank. If Talos (or any other god) chose to exterminate their race then he would eventually succeed, assuming no other gods intervened.

I don't understand why Talos was mentioned anyhow. There's no question that Talos (as a god) is more powerful than mortal Netheril, and again could eventually destroy it if no other gods intervened. So is the question who would win in a Talos vs Mystra/Karsus throwdown?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  03:06:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

So is the question who would win in a Talos vs Mystra/Karsus throwdown?

No. It was more like an assumption that Netheril would not have fallen had Karsus chosen to absorb Talos or Shar, or any of the greater deities that time whose power would help him exterminate the phaerimm and save the empire.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000