Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halfling x Human Romance: Icky? Discuss!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  16:11:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
I am currently 6'7", weigh about 250 lbs, and to look at me, you'd probably think I was the right weight for my height. (A lot of people are surprised when I tell them I weight that much--I really don't look like it.)

Dang and I'm the one who wrestles on weekends at 5'10" 200lbs.
How about we switch jobs or bodies??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  16:36:34  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum
And just to be extra safe, I'd skip Halflings and go straight to pixies, because I think that crosses the line to truly absurd and thus non threatening. Though of course Rule whatever still applies, I'm sure.

It's been done, the human x pixie thing. Well, sort of... for comedy (of an adult nature). See "The Legend of Neil" web mini-movies for the very NSFW humor.

Hilarious, and sorta "Eeewwww!"

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  17:09:23  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, as somebody intimated upthread, even weird love is better than no love at all, and sometimes weird love is what shows up in your life.

Getting hung up on the physical mechanics of the sex act, when sex is just one part of the endlessly complex nature of relationships between people who are attracted to one another, strikes me as a little, I don't know... Let's just say that the image of a halfling and a human having sex isn't one of things I find uncomfortable about this thread.

Michael Blumlein wrote a very provocative short story about this topic for The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction back in the nineties. "Paul and Me" is the story of a man in the early 1970s who winds up having an affair with Paul Bunyan, and while the "mechanics" are handled tastefully it's still a challenging piece in terms of requiring the reader to make some mature choices about how to receive the work. It was reprinted in the 50th anniversary Best From F&SF volume, and I think at least part of it can be read via google books.

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  17:25:36  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This specific situation involved a male halfling who "had a thing" for a female human. In case that changes the issue any (and why?).

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone because it relies on stereotypes, but it is my understanding that we males are more visually oriented, while women are generally more emotionally oriented.

It is possible that the male halfling might find a human female visually appealing, while most human males might find a female halfling somehow visually off. There's also a potential issue of mechanical . . . clearances/tolerances.

On the other hand, a female human might find a way to appreciate a halfling male as a co-worker or friend first, and then gradually warm up to him, and allow her heart to overlook the physical disparities.

(RAS's "The Sellswords" spoiler:)

Rumors have floated around for years in fan circles that human male Artemis Entreri appeared to have been developing "a thing" for female halfling Dwahvel Tiggerwillies in Calimport. This would have almost certainly arisen from professional respect and interpersonal trust first, versus physical attraction.

However, later, Entreri is clearly said to have been physically intimate with the half-elf Calihye in "The Sellswords" series.

And yet, when that series drew to a close, a somewhat reformed Artemis vowed that he would return to Calimport and Miss Tiggerwillies...

Bob, himself, has joked online about such rumors, but he has never officially confirmed them.

Entreri's involvement with Dwahvel, however one wishes to read it, occurred when he was thinking clearly and level-headedly. His relationship with Calihye took place when he was under the influence of a certain mind-altering item, so his demonstrably greater physical attraction to the half-elf under those circumstances might not be a reliable indicator of his true feelings.

His latest novel, Gauntlgrym, vaguely references a past-lover being paraded in front of the assassin, but her exact identity is not revealed. It's probably Calihye, but one never knows.

(/spoiler)

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Erik, was this partly brought on by the closed thread about Drow Incest mayhaps?

No--that thread got closed? What a surprise!

Aye, it did, and before I could give clear quotes from Bob's books supporting the titular thesis.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 03 Feb 2011 17:27:14
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  04:22:33  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read a book called Grunts. Its about orcs
who get trained by a transplanted marine
and who find military hardware in a dragons
horde.
When you get to the halfling orc romance, let me
know how feel about it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  04:45:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone because it relies on stereotypes, but it is my understanding that we males are more visually oriented, while women are generally more emotionally oriented.

It's my understanding that it is not a stereotype, and that it has been proven: men's brains are wired differently, and one of those differences is that visual input is far more important to a man than it is to a woman.

I think it's very easy to prove that, as well: look at how many images or videos one can find online, on TV, or in print media, that focus on showing us scantily clad or naked women, as opposed to scantily clad or naked men. I know I've seen far more visual media that cater to men, as opposed to catering to women.

Heck, I know of at least half a dozen places nearby that have female strippers -- prolly more than half a dozen, but that's all I can name immediately. So far as I know, there isn't a single place in the area with male strippers.

It's also been proven that a man staring at an attractive woman actually has a beneficial effect on his health. A very minor one, but still a beneficial one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Feb 2011 04:47:38
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  10:51:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the halfling/human idea. I'd like to point out the world's smallest man (2.5 feet!!) was married to a perfectly normal-sized woman (5'10", I believe, or thereabouts). Granted, he recently died, but if they could fall in love and have kids (normal-sized, IIRC), then I see no reason why that would not work with a halfling. And there have been plenty of other big/small relationships on both sides of the scale, so, what the heck- why NOT?! Though I have to admit the first thought in my mind is not about he child analogy some here seem to have, but the simple physical aspect. Then again, I've heard it said that little people are not necessarily "proportionate", and I'll leave it at that.

Wooly, you have a good point, although I know of at least one place in my own area with male strippers. (And yes, I've been there, ME-OOW!!!) I will, however, also point out that in that same area, there are at least a half-dozen clubs with female strippers. So, yeah....

@ BEAST: About that "other" thread, I had some quotes as well, which I posted in my "Stupid Question Time" thread, in case you're interested. Since the relevant thread was closed before I got them in it, I moved the quotes there. And I still don't believe that particular subject is really valid, but that's just me. Let's just say I'm highly skeptical about how frequently that sort of thing would ever occur.

Also, I was fairly convinced that Artemis had a relationship with Dwahvel, too. It just seemed to make sense. Guess we'll never know.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  12:42:51  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

@ BEAST: About that "other" thread, I had some quotes as well, which I posted in my "Stupid Question Time" thread, in case you're interested. Since the relevant thread was closed before I got them in it, I moved the quotes there.

Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and posted over there.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  15:10:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned a few other human/creature couplings in my first post in this thread (from non-FR sources), but there is a very famous precedent in FR itself - Draegloths.

Now that's ICKY.

Human/halfling relations are tame by comparison.

Also, if you read the Stonelands supplement (EE), you will see that Orcs do interbreed with goblins, which is theoretically even ickier if you consider the hulking size of most orcs and the puny stature of goblins. Yet, just because they are humanoids, it doesn't seem to bother anyone.

I believe someone already mentioned that story from Realms of Infamy, in which the focus of the story is the product of a human raping a female goblin. DOUBLE Icky.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2011 15:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Chinny
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  07:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Chinny's Homepage Send Chinny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfling + Human = Yes, please.

When I played NWN for the first time, waaaay back when, I adored Tomi Undergallows and wished he'd been a viable romantic interest in the game. There's something adorably charming about a mischievous, pint-sized suitor. Do want!

Now, as long as the character was of a suitable appearance and age of consent, meaning adult and willing. Three foot isn't bad as long as the individual looks adult enough to handle having a vigorous, larger-sized human lover. 3'10 to 4'2 (per 4e) is better.

For a female like me (human, height of 5'6" on a good day), having a halfling lover sounds sexy, but then so does getting it on with a dwarf or an elf. Or anything, really. I even fancied Deekin from NWN.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  07:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna go ahead and throw my hat into the "height isn't that important" ring. I'm 6'1", 215lbs last time I got on a scale. I've been in two relationships with women over a foot shorter than me(4'11" and 4'10" respectively) as well as a relationship with a woman who was taller than me by an inch or two; height wasn't a major factor in any of said relationships.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  18:39:41  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll add to that with the admission that I am only 5 ft, and my hubby of ten + years is over six foot. Makes for some back-bending when we kiss on his part, but otherwise, we don't care. The up side to it is that I get someone to reach those high shelves, and HE gets someone to get to the low stuff!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  21:48:23  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see no problem with it. Such relationships have existed in various forms/campaigns/gaming groups since I started playing back in the days of 1st ed and still continue today.

Other than the obvious consideration of scale, especially in a m/m or m/f relationship. The 18 Str Human with the 10 Con halfling would have to be understandably tender and exercise restraint not to harm his lover.

So I say if the players want their characters to be together, go for it.

:)

"Why is the torch burning blue?"

Edited by - Gouf on 15 Feb 2011 21:49:12
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  22:25:43  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going to mention a non D&D novel that deals with this dynamic (Human/Dwarf). Dragondoom by Dennis L. Mckeirnan. Good Luck finding a copy it;s an old book circa early 90's when I got it. Has to be over 15+ years since I've read it, but it's a corking read. Not really got anything to say on the the human/halfling debate that hasn't already been said.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  23:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar

Going to mention a non D&D novel that deals with this dynamic (Human/Dwarf). Dragondoom by Dennis L. Mckeirnan. Good Luck finding a copy it;s an old book circa early 90's when I got it. Has to be over 15+ years since I've read it, but it's a corking read. Not really got anything to say on the the human/halfling debate that hasn't already been said.

Thank you for the recommendation. It's readily available for purchase in ebook format. I just bought it on my Nook. :D

Along those lines the Human/Dwarf relations (and Half-dwarves)seem to be a staple. Mentioned in FR11 and a great module in Dungeon issue 69.

;)

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  00:28:52  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ehhh. I think interracial relationships are nasty perid. I'm quite famous wity my friends fr hating te half races, especialy tje half elves. And in real life too, but either way, what happens to the human's or halfling's sense of cultural identity after said pairing?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  00:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cultural identity has never struck me as being important on a personal level(though I can see how it can be important to others). In matters of heritage, I'm a bit of a mutt, myself. Welsh, Irish, English, Dutch, German, Jewish, Cherokee, Comanche, plus a few more my family isn't sure of. Yea, these are all find cultures, but I don't let any of them define me. I am what I am as an individual; who or what my ancestors were doesn't matter.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  00:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhhhhm...what?

Edit: Chosen and I simul-posted. This was directed at tradwitch's post, which I find mysterious and hopefully not profoundly offensive...

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 16 Feb 2011 00:46:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  01:07:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, we're tending a little toward real-life aspects somewhat. Let's steer clear of such hazardous territory, eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  01:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, there is a whole can of worms best left unopened right there.

Though strickly within realms context he raises a good point, though hardly a new one. It's well established that half-breed races face problems based on those and other issues.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  02:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Though strickly within realms context he raises a good point, though hardly a new one. It's well established that half-breed races face problems based on those and other issues.

But that varies greatly on the parent races. Half Elves and Half Dwarves are generally well received within their communities. There are exceptions like the Eldreth Veluuthra. But overall they are accepted.

Half Orc's not so much. But not because they are half breeds, but because they are from in part the mostly hated orcs.

Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  07:45:10  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The comparison between halflings and those with dwarfism is false. Little people have, for the most part, the same size body parts (Head, Hands, Feet) as regular people, but with shorter limbs. That makes them more comparable to Dwarves. Halflings are a scaled down human, though not to the same extent as, say, a pixie. The point being, little people are still 'compatible' with average height people, which is why those unions are acceptable. Dwarves are 'compatible' with regular sized humans, which is why those unions are acceptable. Halflings are not compatible, nor are Ogres. Neither is acceptable, IMO, for the same reasons.

This discussion reminds me of the line from the new Robin Hood when Tuck asks "So, why do they call you "Little" John?" He responds, "What are you getting at? I'm proportional!" :D

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  17:04:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ML, I don't think anyone was trying to directly compare the two- but the SIZE comparison of a 2.5 tall human and a halfling is certainly valid. The dynamics are still the same. It's still a matter of a very small person with one of average size. Why is that false? And I'm not entirely sure that the line from Robin Hood applies. The halfling is still proportionate too- just on a smaller scale. Otherwise we'd end up with halflings who were, um, tripping on over-sized extremities. On second thought, maybe that's the appeal!! *wink, snicker*

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  17:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

ML, I don't think anyone was trying to directly compare the two- but the SIZE comparison of a 2.5 tall human and a halfling is certainly valid. The dynamics are still the same. It's still a matter of a very small person with one of average size. Why is that false?
Indeed. All I was saying was, if the height is the main sticking point, that applies to baseline/little/exceptionally tall people too.

My wife happens to be a foot shorter than me, but I don't think of that as weird. Practically EVERYONE is substantially shorter than me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  17:15:40  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. I'm substantially shorter than my hubby, as mentioned earlier, but it doesn't bother me. bit of a strech when I hug him, but, whatever. Also, I'd like to mention that while I'm only 5', my mother is even shorter, at only 4'9". In fact, my entire family is/was under 5.5 feet. I have a theory that there was some fey blood in the family tree at one point- probably leprecaun, sinse we're Irish- but I can't prove it.....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  19:53:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are from 'the Olde People'.

You've read Mists of Avalon, I assume?

It is a scientific factoid that there was a small, hairy off-shoot of humanity that existed right up to about 10K years ago, which is a mere drop in the bucket on an evolutionary scale (and also would coincide with early humans first developing civilization). IF that off-shoot was genetically compatible (like a Chihuahua having a 'good time' with a German shepherd), then it is plausible that some of that evolutionary 'dead-end' still exists.

My friends from GB say they still do - they call them 'Welsh'.

There was also a more primitive super-sized variant as well, Homo-Giganticus. I personally believe both of these off-shoots are responsible for many of our legends.

ANYHOW, I am 6' tall and have dated two women 5' and one that was 4'11", and LOVED IT (I don't want to be gross about this, but there are certain things that aren't as easy to accomplish with a larger mate). I married a women 5'9", and am currently dating a woman 5'9", so despite the fun I had with my smaller female companions I still tend to find people more my size for long-term relationships.

Just so no-one gets upset - size had nothing to do with why those smaller women didn't work out, and I often still think of all three of them fondly.

On the other hand, I know how two of those women ended-up, and how two of my wife's small friends (5' and under) ended-up... with guys who were abusive.

I REALLY hope that isn't 'the norm' for such things... that's a scary line of thought right there.

Its human nature to dominate those who we think are 'weaker' then us, and only an inkling of that is ever shown in regards to FR or fantasy setting in general (the Netherease enslavement of the Gnomes in an excellent exception, and one I am fond of for it's realism). Halflings avoid 'big people' for good reason, and the lore even says so, yet we see very little of that 'dark side' in stories.

So Erik, if you want to address anything, address THAT - human nature is the scariest monster of all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  20:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gouf

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

But that varies greatly on the parent races. Half Elves and Half Dwarves are generally well received within their communities. There are exceptions like the Eldreth Veluuthra. But overall they are accepted.

Half Orc's not so much. But not because they are half breeds, but because they are from in part the mostly hated orcs.

Most things I've read on half-elves either suggests or says outright that they face varying degrees of prejudice; not as overt or hostile as against half-orcs, but still. Of course, I don't have my sourcebooks on hand right now to cite, so I could be off.

And I'll grant you that I've rarely if ever been in an rp session where half-elves were met with prejudice, and if they were it usually felt either overblown or forced, or both. I think part of it comes from our modern society being more open minded and accepting, with half-orcs getting the flack because they're less pretty to look at(irony) and up until 4e had that penalty to int that let people call them dumb.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  20:09:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clearly there's a wide range of responses to the human-and-halfling question. Even though many people (including myself) aren't bothered by the notion, we're still aware that there are certain squicky and offensive associations. Many people, perhaps even the social norm, will conservatively reject such a pairing.

Do the other races have similar preconceptions, sophistications, superstitions, and baggage about what constitutes unacceptable multi-race romance? Do elves have a similar squick about elf-and-human pairings because humans are "too young"? Does this sort of notion imply (in the minds of most elves) that an elf who takes a human partner is some kind of simpleton, predator, or deviant?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  20:33:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT- no, I've not read it, but I'm reasonably familiar with the book. You might not be too far oof about the shorter off-shoot, though no one in my family is especially hairy, or ever has been, to my knowledge. And although you ar certainly accurate in the idea of larger people wnating to "dominate" those who are smaller (read- weaker) than themselves(my over-bearing bruteish ogre/neanderthal of a step-father is a prime example), the corrolary to that is the smaller folks also learn to fight back or fall by the wayside. I for one have what some might call a Napoleon complex, to a certain degree, and I'm sure many shorter folks do. Or, as I like to put it- "Short people rule the world- because you'll never see us coming...."

I would not see other races as thinking that way, at least not for most. Goblinoids are obviously a gray area, since most humanoid races KNOW they are usually evil, and there is the physical attraction to consider. One does not usually date goblins or orcs for their looks, and to even do so for other reasons, one first has to get past the physical appearance. I doubt many orcs or goblins get much love from humans or dwarves. Unless they've had a LOT of alcohol first, LOL! (You know what they say about drinking them pretty....) Elves and dwarves and other humanlike races have the advantage of looking more like a human, so the stigma would be far less either way. It's hard to feel a real predjudice against someone who looks a lot like yourself. Cosmetic differences aside, only the most close-minded individuals would make a big deal out of it, and they're usually in the minority.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  20:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly I imagine elves as being dangerously close to the uncanny valley. Pointy ears, unearthly eyes, unnatural grace. Granted there's nothing in FR to back me up on this, I just think that if we were walking around with elves they'd be unnerving.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000