Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Low-magic, high-plot modules?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  04:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone recommend a module for me offhand? I'm hoping for ones in which magic and nonhuman races are NOT utterly essential (i.e. it could easily be adapted for a very low-magic fantasy setting), and preferably where intrigue, plot development, and the unexpected are larger elements than dungeon-crawling or combat. I just don't have time or energy these days to wade through dozens of modules, reading page by page, in order to find out what's in them and determine if I can use them, and for some reason there's rarely anything resembling a succinct synopsis (level of magic, plot twists, level of dependence on setting, focus on combat or social stuff, etc.) at the beginning for quick reference . I'm not asking anyone to do that wading for me, just asking if any spring to mind for all the more-experienced DMs out there. Seeking some direction for what wading I can do, so perhaps it will be fruitful.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  06:34:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of the Ravenloft modules emphasize role-playing, setting, and plot (and horror) - while tending towards low-magic and less (but more intense) combat. D&D tends to be heavy on magic and combat, it's unavoidable.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  07:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I love Ravenloft and have read or played a number of mods and mini-mods there. Out of those, a few of the minis in particular might be adaptable, but the full-length mods I've seen would require considerably more tailoring to setting, not just to character circumstance (they're great for their own setting, though). Not that I've read all of the full mods that there are, not by a long shot---only House on Gryphon Hill (awesome for its layering and the way it builds, and it doesn't require setting details such as darklords), Evil Eye, House of Strahd, and Night of the Walking Dead, with skimmings of the ones in Sithicus and Kartakass that I can't remember the names. Hoping for a particular one or two (from any setting or edition) to pop into someone's head upon reading here, lol.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

Edited by - Laerrigan on 31 Jan 2011 07:59:46
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  14:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the only thing that comes instantly to mind is part of the Four From Cormyr quad-adventure. One of the four parts involves the characters investigating a murder mystery at the court in Suzail (or actually one of the associated nobles' villas, iirc). Which some magic was involved in the crime, and magic can be helpful in figuring it out, most of the adventure involves the PC's interacting with, and interrogating, several dozen different nobles and other notables. Change the names, change the place, should be easy to adapt to somewhere else.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  02:21:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a number of setting-heavy "soft" modules. Sadly, they all seem to ultimately boil down to variations of the old FedEx Quest ... the setting/character elements they introduce are not intended for background as much as they are for confusion, confrontation, and comedy. Some of the lowest-level (solo) mini-modules heavily emphasize "soft" stuff since they need to establish/introduce setting and need to minimize combat and danger (which would likely be fatal to an unequipped lone level 1 PC noob).

I'd say the best "inspiration" for such modules is simple plot-setting-character theft from novels. Be they FR titles or not. For me it's the simplest way to "know" (and subtly manipulate) complex story arcs in a "realistic" manner.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  12:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say for sure, but I think the Marco Volo trilogy might be low magic, high plot (from the description of it being akin to Three Musketeers), but you'd have to ask someone who ran it or at least read the modules (I own them and they are at home, so I'm going off memory of reading the back cover).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  13:00:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boo, boo, hiss @ disappointing Marco Volo modules.

Dungeon #116 published a semi-official list of the "30 Greatest D&D Adventures of All Time". I don't personally agree with it all that much. Additionally, your required criteria are very particular, Laerrigan. I offer Grognardia's 30 Greatest D&D Adventures of All Time instead — same list, different commentary — I believe some of the listed "top 10" modules could fit your needs fairly well. Many other suggestions (including another "30 Greatest" list) are offered in the user comments further down the same page; a number of modules are described that seem to fit your needs perfectly.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Feb 2011 13:20:21
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  13:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Boo, boo, hiss @ disappointing Marco Volo modules.

I've heard a similar reaction to these modules a few times. Perhaps with some tweaking it can be made enjoyable?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  13:46:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to be fair, I've put a *lot* of tweaking into Ruins of Adventure to make it enjoyable ... although classic and popular, it's arguably a rather poorly done module when you really break into it. I doubt you'll see a lot of diehard Marco Volo fans willing to put extra effort into saving those modules.

Speaking of diehards, Alisstair ... what happened to your demented fanaticism about the Nigh-Resurrection-Of-Lord-Karsus and all that? Y'know, Cleric Generic still hasn't forsaken the Faith ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  14:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, to be fair, I've put a *lot* of tweaking into Ruins of Adventure to make it enjoyable ... although classic and popular, it's arguably a rather poorly done module when you really break into it. I doubt you'll see a lot of diehard Marco Volo fans willing to put extra effort into saving those modules.

Speaking of diehards, Alisstair ... what happened to your demented fanaticism about the Nigh-Resurrection-Of-Lord-Karsus and all that? Y'know, Cleric Generic still hasn't forsaken the Faith ...

I've put some effor as well adapting Ruins of Adventure to 4E and it was easy to do, just rework the plain maps with tiles and adjust ammount of creatures, use minions, etc...

As far as Karsus, his time will come. All mortals will bow before his might.I was politely asked to tone it down, hence the lack of attempts to convert all to his faith lately.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  15:24:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, Karsus.
I can't at all imagine why you'd be asked to tone it down by the Nonbelievers. Suspicions of your apostasy and faltering faith have been alleviated.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  15:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yay, Karsus.
I can't at all imagine why you'd be asked to tone it down by the Nonbelievers. Suspicions of your apostasy and faltering faith have been alleviated.

Arik, I invite you to the following scroll I just opened:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14769

Back on topic: Laerrigan, are you looking specifically for FR modules of the sort you want, or are you looking for any setting?

Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  12:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also check out the old 2E module "The Assassin's Knot." It takes place is a village and the party has to unravel an assassination plot.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  14:08:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assassin's Knot is mentioned favourably on the Grognardia site. There is some argument about how it compares to the (unpopular) L1/L2 Bone Hill modules. Sadly, I've never read/played Assassin's Knot so I cannot comment.

I have played The Abduction of Good King Despot and can agree that although it's imperfect it is an entertaining and high-quality module.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  16:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff, everyone---many thanks. I'll definitely be sifting through the Grognardia list, and the specific mods mentioned here.

Alisttair---I know enough of FR, Ravenloft, and Eberron to understand a mod in those settings. I'm less familiar with Sigil (I love it but didn't get very far into it before that computer died and thus separated me from my library of PDFs, and I haven't been able to access the HD yet to see if they're still there). Heck, mods for World of Darkness (vampire or werewolf, as I haven't read up on the other games) would be possibilities as well. I'm looking for mods to adapt to a couple settings of my own, one moderately low-magic and the other more so. Sometimes it's nice just to take a break and heavily borrow someone else's ideas, lol.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  17:13:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the Planescape modules tended to focus more on the "terrain" and "combat" than on role-playing or background. Yes, there's plenty of stuff about factions and politics and such ... but most of these modules are really about putting the PCs into some extra-planar environment full of bizarre and dangerous quirks, then ramming them into constant encounters with the bizarre and dangerous quirky natives of that environment, then moving the PCs into a different bizarre and dangerous environment before they can really adapt. The few modules which are rich in setting assume great familiarity with the setting so they aren't really suitable for short campaigns. Just my opinion.

Having said that, Planescape is an awesome setting. Much reading is required. Much reading. Though (surprisingly) not all that much preparation is needed when starting a module (the setting almost begs for improvision and inconsistencies, plus nothing has to really make much sense or be justified/explained at all). Savour your initial confusion and remember it well so you can dump it onto your players.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  20:06:05  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conan RPG of course...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  01:04:07  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How is Spulzeer? Is that more plot based?
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  03:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conan...? I gathered from reading about the author and books/stories that an RPG based on it would be low-magic, but it seemed also that it would be pretty focused around combat (and conquest). If it has a good bit of intrigue, well-made NPCs, plot twists, etc., more than enemy-bashing, it might be worth my checking into. Howard's words, "Money and muscle, that’s what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it," sort of sum up my assumptions about his work/world, but those assumptions are admittedly based on what I've seen from the outside...

I had no idea what Spulzeer was, but I found the adventure's entry in the FR wiki and it does look great, from what's there. Cool.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  03:54:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Laerrigan, While I have not seen the game, Conan indeed was also a thief, learned scholar and in at least a few movies dealt with intrigue as opposed to direct action. IAE it might reach lower level of magic, though in the end heavy combat appeared in the next to the last scene.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  07:43:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could try DIY non-Realms campaigns. The 2E Historical Reference Campaigns (HR1-HR7) or generic Legends & Lore stuff offer a lot of material. Just populate your taverns, bars, alleys, and shops with interesting NPCs and your players will tend to become more interactive. Pirates and swashbucklers are always good, too; they just scream adventure and seem to attract trouble. I have a handful of garrulous spice merchants, a couple of bards, a wandering tinker (and purveyor of fine cutlery), and an heavily armed tax collector who all engage the PCs regularly, seemingly inescapable wherever they might travel in the wild or civilized lands. Few people (in RL anyways) roll initiative and reach for their weapons every single time they encounter somebody new and talkative.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000