Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [4e] Random dungeons and playing without a DM
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  11:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My girlfriend and I haven't played D&D for a few months and we were thinking of starting again, but we haven't found a new group yet.

We tried playing solo adventures where one of us DM'ed and the other played, but that didn't work out.

However, the 4e DMG has a section about generating random dungeons and playing without a DM (p. 190-195). Based on that I've made my own random dungeon tables. We also both made hybrid characters to cover all the character roles (and to experiment with different hybrid builds ).

So, I was wondering of someone had done something similar before and how it turned out. I also have these small dungeon tiles with corridors and rooms you can connect like a puzzle. Has anyone seen or used those before?

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  12:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

My girlfriend and I haven't played D&D for a few months and we were thinking of starting again, but we haven't found a new group yet.

We tried playing solo adventures where one of us DM'ed and the other played, but that didn't work out.

However, the 4e DMG has a section about generating random dungeons and playing without a DM (p. 190-195). Based on that I've made my own random dungeon tables. We also both made hybrid characters to cover all the character roles (and to experiment with different hybrid builds ).

So, I was wondering of someone had done something similar before and how it turned out. I also have these small dungeon tiles with corridors and rooms you can connect like a puzzle. Has anyone seen or used those before?

I've never done it (no DM/random dungeon), but my recommendation, if you can handle it, is to use two characters each instead of Hybrids to cover all the roles. A Hybrid I find makes a better 5th party member.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  12:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I've never done it (no DM/random dungeon), but my recommendation, if you can handle it, is to use two characters each instead of Hybrids to cover all the roles. A Hybrid I find makes a better 5th party member.

I thought of that, but we decided to go with 1 character each. We didn't want to have twice the paper work cluttering the table(our dining table is only 1 by 1 meter) and I really wanted to experiment with hybrid characters as I never got the chance to play one .
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  12:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I thought of that, but we decided to go with 1 character each. We didn't want to have twice the paper work cluttering the table(our dining table is only 1 by 1 meter) and I really wanted to experiment with hybrid characters as I never got the chance to play one .

Give it a shot. If you find your characters dying too much, then maybe try having one person run a Hybrid and do the Dungeon, and the other run two pure classes.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  14:06:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Tyranthraxus,

I've done a game similar, where a DMPC was present. I can warn you that there us lits of paper work seeing as you have to keep tabs on your character and monsters in addition to campaign notes, etc. It's do-able, just more difficult. As long as you can keep your meta-gaming in check, you should be fine. I'd suggest published adventures to make things easier on you.

As for the tiles i've only used the WotC ones that dont connect, but should work just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  15:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have my book with me, so I can't check what it says, and thus you're already doing this, but if not . . .

If you only have two PCs, go easy on the monsters. Most published encounters (and the mechanics in general) are balanced for a party of five, each of whom represents a different role, and if you only have two, you're pretty seriously outgunned in one of those battles.

I recommend your standard encounter being one standard monster and four minions, or two standard monsters. You can fight an elite as a big bad boss, and if you're going to try a solo, pick one at least 2-3 levels lower than you, or reduce its hit points by half.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  16:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I don't have my book with me, so I can't check what it says, and thus you're already doing this, but if not . . .

If you only have two PCs, go easy on the monsters. Most published encounters (and the mechanics in general) are balanced for a party of five, each of whom represents a different role, and if you only have two, you're pretty seriously outgunned in one of those battles.

I recommend your standard encounter being one standard monster and four minions, or two standard monsters. You can fight an elite as a big bad boss, and if you're going to try a solo, pick one at least 2-3 levels lower than you, or reduce its hit points by half.

Cheers

And at first, try not to have too many encounters before an extended rest to get a feel for how many encounters is survivable (I'd say maybe 4-5, but that depends on specific character builds, monster selection and which group (monsters or PCs) the dice favor).

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  01:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only problem I have now is how to incorporate Skill Challanges. I was thinking of making a table to randomize the difficulty and making a table with the skills that has to be rolled 3 times for the skills involved. Any suggestions

I also found this link:

http://donjon.bin.sh/4e/dungeon/

Maybe just what I needed, I just have to adjust the encounters. Probably use half the monsters per encounter, rounded down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000