Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 An RAS poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  00:53:54  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

Also, I would suppose that there is some chance that Shade or Thay may become involved in future books.

I'm looking forward to that. I read some discussion in the Gauntlgrym thread, and it appears like Tam has a hand on some things and a certain fallen Netherese enclave is involved.

I'd wait and hear what book 2 of the Neverwinter trilogy involves in that case. There was next to nothing substantial in Gauntlgrym.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  01:02:57  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Actually, most of the Spell-battles I've seen in RAS's books, Drizzt was barely even involved in. He does NOt as a rule, get into fights with wizards. He's not stupid, after all. Most of the magical battles in the Drizzt books have been between other characters in the books, like Alustriel or Nanfoodle and the flavor-of-the-week enemy. There were some big ones in Ghost King, IIRC. Drizzt stayed out of most of those, except to fight off the melee opponents. That's what he does best, after all.

I think I managed to sleep through all the fight scenes in the Ghost King.

There was a spellfight between Robillard and someone else in the Pirate King that I remember as being pretty neat though.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  01:22:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...With a little research, I found out that Robillard single-handedly defeated Arklem Greeth, a lich and the former Archmage Arcane of the Arcane Brotherhood. Did that happen in The Pirate King? How involved was he in that book? Very significant? Or was his role close to cameo?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  01:31:42  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both Robillard and Arklem Greeth were major players in the Pirate King... far, far bigger than Drizzt was actually.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  01:43:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. I might put that in my To-Read list.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  07:51:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nanfoodle and That female mage (forgot her name) were also major players in the Hunter's Blades trilogy. Nanfoodle appeared in The Orc King as well, and seems to be in Gauntlegrym, too. (At least in the opening chapter, which is all I've had the chance to read- our library is on consortium, and won't get the book for several months...) And Robillard shows up in all of the the books with Drizzt on the Sea Sprite. There are quite a few wizards in the Drizzt books, dennis- you might even enjoy them.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  08:15:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to Fully Booked right now. If The Pirate King is still available, I'll buy it, and unlike Streams of Silver which is still lying forlornly on my shelf, I'll read it forthwith!

Edit: Or maybe I'll just ask my cousin to buy it for me since I'm in my "Lazy Mode" now, not really in the mood to go to the mall.

Edited by - Dennis on 20 Jan 2011 08:28:26
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  08:20:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed, there's only one Drizzt novel in the Book Club section: The Orc King. Nothing else. Not even Gauntlgrym, which, it appears like, a lot of scribes have already read. Are the Mods shunning Drizzt?

Edited by - Dennis on 20 Jan 2011 08:23:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  11:16:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just noticed, there's only one Drizzt novel in the Book Club section: The Orc King. Nothing else. Not even Gauntlgrym, which, it appears like, a lot of scribes have already read. Are the Mods shunning Drizzt?

Sage or Big Al create those threads, usually when they get their hands on the book in question. So either they've not gotten their hands on the book, or they've simply overlooked it.

We would not deliberately ignore a current work of FR fiction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  16:20:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Sage or Big Al create those threads, usually when they get their hands on the book in question. So either they've not gotten their hands on the book, or they've simply overlooked it.

I thought someone shared the Chapters and such for Gauntylgrym with Sage.......he must have laid it on his to do vortex!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  16:42:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  17:10:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

I thought someone shared the Chapters and such for Gauntylgrym with Sage.......he must have laid it on his to do vortex!

To-do vortex... Love it!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  18:03:20  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
more artemis and jarlaxle please...

and of course the bloodstone crew

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  18:19:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To-do vortex... Love it!

Feel free to use it I'm going to try and use it anytime Sage comes up in a scroll

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Jan 2011 18:21:09
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  20:52:41  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked his first two novels, and moved away after Thousand Orcs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:02:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's the former. I'd never overlook any Realms work -- it's simply a matter of having the copy in my hands.

Granted, I don't always read every new release immediately after they hit the shelves, but I only purchase the hardcover releases of certain authors. RAS, in this case, isn't one of them.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:03:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To-do vortex... Love it!

Feel free to use it I'm going to try and use it anytime Sage comes up in a scroll

Actually, I think a particular scribe did send along the necessary details for me to open the relevant Book Club scrolls. Now I just have to find them. Again.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:08:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

It's the former. I'd never overlook any Realms work -- it's simply a matter of having the copy in my hands.

Granted, I don't always read every new release immediately after they hit the shelves, but I only purchase the hardcover releases of certain authors. RAS, in this case, isn't one of them.

So you'd wait till it's released in paperback?

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Jan 2011 01:08:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:28:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most likely.

It really just comes down to what I'm eager to read now, and what can wait. I've got a lot of other books to purchase first, that I've long been anticipating, and I only budget so many gold-pieces a month for books [though, it is regularly among the highest items of expenditure in my budget {*smirk*}]. Thus, ultimately, I have to pick and choose what I can buy now, and what I can seek out later, if I so desire.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:46:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To-do vortex... Love it!

Actually, I think a particular scribe did send along the necessary details for me to open the relevant Book Club scrolls. Now I just have to find them. Again.

Heh...were you doubting me? I'm rarely wrong.....it'd save you valuable time just to believe everything I say I reference to things placed in your vortex.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:50:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was Alisttair, Sage. I was kinda looking forward to it because I wanted to read spoilers---I wanted to know if I'd really want to buy the book or not, as I was mildly intrigued by Tam and Shade's little involvement.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warning: Shameless self promotion to follow!

Dennis, I did a chapter by chapter log of both The Ghost King and Gauntlgrym on my blog, if you're interested. They are spoiler-tastic.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  02:09:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am. Just sent you a PM.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  03:43:19  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in this as well.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  05:26:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She seems to be busy atm.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  05:32:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw, Alystra , I already bough The Pirate King. It's on top of my To-Read list now. So when I'm done writing certain articles and rereading Unclean and Wrath of a Mad God, I'll devour it. As this is the very first Drizzt novel I'm going to read, I'll no doubt have a lot of questions about him and other characters important to the story. Hopefully, you and some other RAS readers will be around by then. Your 'charm person' seems to have finally worked on me.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  06:30:57  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I picked a bad time to go hunting for food.

Sent specific entry links to both of you, although there's a link to the main blog in my sig.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  06:40:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Lady Fellshot!

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

...although there's a link to the main blog in my sig.

Oh, I failed to notice it.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Jan 2011 06:42:28
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  06:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's okay. I generally don't call attention to it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  16:28:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually overlook that as I didn't put mine on my profile.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000