Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pricing of minor magic items
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  22:59:47  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Reading this quarter's Kobold Quarterly had me thinking of some neat little magic items that would be nice flavor (pun intended) to the campaign, built off of prestidigitation or other such cantrips.

I was looking at pricing, and they just seem to high for such minor items.

Self Cleaning cooking utensils
Self cleaning hankie =)
Food warming plate =)

They appear that they'd be 2000 gp for a continous item.

How would you price such things?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  23:05:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buying toys becomes a matter of rarity and amount of resources available. I suppose 2000 not too high a price for "minor" items. Best advice however would be to look at magic creation rules, some 1st or perhaps even 0 level spells could make such items.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  23:45:17  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll check to see the pricing on light pellets used by drow. Don't recall if they were recreated in 3.5.

Other ideas:
Pipe igniter
Evercleaning dish towel
Mug of cooling

I'll need to find my old 1st Ed books to gander at the cantrips

Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  01:54:22  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daylight Pellet
Market Price 150gp
Single Use Item
3rd level spell
5th level caster

should be a 750gp item, but they divided it by 5? Anyone know why?

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  02:16:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have daylight pellets in the Magic Item Compendium.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  03:08:04  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the stats in the MIC are the same as the ones in the Drow of the Underdark.

But how did they justify the reduced cost?

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  19:30:20  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a side note, the way to get the utensils down is to have them only clean themselves 3/day.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  21:05:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Daylight Pellet
Market Price 150gp
Single Use Item
3rd level spell
5th level caster

should be a 750gp item, but they divided it by 5? Anyone know why?

Only a guess...perhaps since it is a one shot item? I don't have my books in front of me, but I remember a one off item costing a LOT less...as to why arrows are so cheap.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  23:29:04  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Rhew I had even thought to make them a 1/day item. That would make for a 400gp item 200gp if I ruled that cantrips count as .5 spell levels.
.5 x CL 1 x 2000gp / 5 x 1 use

For the daylight pellet
3 spell lvl x CL 5 x 50gp = 750gp

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  23:32:48  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose I'm spoiled by the everburning torch only costing 110gp each. That spell is one that would have a significant impact on a person's life if they were to ever afford one. A pot that cleaned itself once a day at a price of 400gp doesn't appear to be much of a deal. =)

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  23:41:26  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They may have just arbitrarily lowered the price, since the item(s) aren’t overpowered and can be useful to low level PCs.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  00:33:05  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, then I wouldn't feel bad cutting the price of these trinkets by 1/5 as well. =)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000