Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 In need of wild frontier
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  11:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi again looking for advice again I'm afraid :)

I'm looking to run the pathfinder adventure path 'Kingmaker' and as with everything I'm hoping to run it in the realms. What I'm having trouble with is the location, the adventure if you havent seen it is set in a large wild area some what like vassa and damara (hope I spelt them right). Is their anywhere else that could fit this bill? I sort of am hoping to stay away from vassa as they already have things set up for this stuff, if not I will have to change the adventure so they set up a new town instead of a new kingdom.

Any and all ideas/thoughts welcome.

Thanks you :)

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  13:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What sort of "wild" are you looking for (Forest, dessert, plains, tundra, etc.)?

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1214 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  14:20:45  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Border Kingdoms? Rashemen? Cormyr (The Stonelands)? Anauroch? The Vilhon Reaches?

Edited by - questing gm on 05 Jan 2011 14:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  15:45:05  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well its alittle of everything really, going by the map. The border kingdoms or Vilhon reaches hmm.

Thanks guys I knew you would come up trumps :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  15:48:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd look at some place in the Border Kingdoms, myself.

What are you using as the First World?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  16:02:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Border Kingdoms would be ideal. Since they, perhaps more so than any other part of the established Realms, are designed to be easily customised for particular and/or individual home Realms campaigns -- complete with swiftly shifting borders and ever-changing rulers. So there's plenty of room for changes and/or the addition of new details for your game.

Definitely a "wild frontier."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  16:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the border kingdoms does look great :)

I will give alittle more information on the adventure path. Its set in the 'stolen lands' an area of about 35,000 sq miles of set between to kingdoms. It is wild and monster infested with little in the way of settlements. The adventure starts with the pc's being given a charter from the ruler of one of these kingdoms to go and kill monsters (sound familiar LOL). As the adventure path goes on you are given the charter to set up a settlement which you can expand in the game.

So my problem now is the border kingdoms gives me everything I need except for a kingdom wanting to tame and latter build a settlement. vassa gives me this in the role of King Dragonsbane but I have to deal with the fact he wants the area for himself forming the bloodstone lands.

Any ideas?

Wooley Rupert - I dont know what you mean by first world, sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  18:23:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Immortalis

Yeah the border kingdoms does look great :)

I will give alittle more information on the adventure path. Its set in the 'stolen lands' an area of about 35,000 sq miles of set between to kingdoms. It is wild and monster infested with little in the way of settlements. The adventure starts with the pc's being given a charter from the ruler of one of these kingdoms to go and kill monsters (sound familiar LOL). As the adventure path goes on you are given the charter to set up a settlement which you can expand in the game.

So my problem now is the border kingdoms gives me everything I need except for a kingdom wanting to tame and latter build a settlement. vassa gives me this in the role of King Dragonsbane but I have to deal with the fact he wants the area for himself forming the bloodstone lands.

Any ideas?

Wooley Rupert - I dont know what you mean by first world, sorry.

Part of the Kingmaker adventure path includes an incursion from the First World, which strikes me as an intriguing variant of Faerie. I was just wondering what you had planned for that part.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  18:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well just sortting through part 1 at the moment and a quick look at the kingdom building in part 2. Havent got any further yet was hoping these 2 would give me time to sort out the rest LOL. Hopefully most of it will fit in easy enough, I try and change as little as possible really (I'm lazy :) )
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  22:36:22  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This would also make a reasonably good stonelands campaign, right?
Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  23:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure would totally forgot to check that one out LOL. Wilderness - check, Kingdom sending people - check
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  00:44:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Immortalis

Any ideas?
What about the Realm of the Mount? That pretty much sits as a wild kingdom ready to tame, with plenty of opportunity for settlement-building.

Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  10:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly I want to thank you all for the replies :) its good to know there are people out here willing to help without judging. I must admit to not being able to find anything on 'the realm of the mount', my realms-fu isnt that great.

No to business I like the 'Stonelands' as there isnt much written about it, it has an in place charter to explore and settle. I can sort the size alittle bit so thats good. I'm hoping to add this to our realms as in the past we have always sort of 'reset' everything after each campaign. My players are a good group and have for sometime gone into the stronghold/base of operations quite abit with the 'stronghold builders guide'. So it would be good for once to let them actually stamp their mark on the realms which we can have in place from campaign to campaign without impacting too much on canon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  10:26:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most recent detailing for the Realm of the Mount was 3e's Power of Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  10:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll have to forgive me I tend to ramble LOL.

I have looked into the 'first world' alittle wooley and couldnt find anything on version officially, but the first thing that came to my mind was a sort of 'far realm' kind of cthulu-esque. having the 'fey' be an the exiles in a realm full of aberrations and stuff.

I have been looking into the lich queen incursion as well, but dont know how much the 'fey' have a role in this path. From what I can find posted its the main theme so maybe change it as little as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  10:48:19  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL thanks sage, I have been looking in that book to get some ideas and help with the kingdom and just didnt look that far. Cormyr would be a fitting setting too as the players have just finished 'tearing of the weave' adventure and have an intrest there thats on going. So if need be thats some extra npc's (there old pc's) for them to call on to help run this kingdom.

And so it finally starts coming together :)

P.S YEAH I have a new title 'seeker' not a peon any more :D
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  14:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

This would also make a reasonably good stonelands campaign, right?

It might, but the campaign path assumes a mostly forested area. You could simply ignore the forest if you want. But that mean re-working some of the sites and encounters. It depends on how much extra work you're willing to put in.

However, as Immortalis just suggested, the adventure path might work well in mainland Cormyr (i.e. south and east of the Stormhorns). However, I'm not sure I'd really want my players forging a new Cormyr on the site of the old one.

My current feeling is to use the ruined lands of Teshendale and the Border Forest. It would be a little bigger than the sq. miles of the adventure path, but I don't think that would hurt the campaign at all. It just leaves you more room for the side treks that my players seem to need to get to the levels necessary for the next instalment.

In addition, I think you'd have plenty of ties into the invasion from the First World that Wolly mentioned earlier. I would suspect that there are plenty of gates/portals to Faerie lurking about the ruins of Myth Ondath. I would also be able to use all the great lore that Phasai has worked up for that region as well.
Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  11:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so I have sort of got what I need, I'm going with the stonelands as it gives me some good tie-ins. I know the area isnt quite right but...dont hate me for it :(....I'm going to change the area to fit more in line with the adventure *ducks*.

I'm hopefully going to be starting the adventure tonight so will update on things later if need be.

On a sort of side note I didnt realise there was so many 'wild frontiers' in the realms, thanks guys I have taken notes on all the areas given here and will hopefully be able to use these in later adventures (always looking for areas to set things LOL).

Thanks again for all your help, I maybe needing it again as the adventure path goes on :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000