Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Play-By-Post Do's and Don'ts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  18:53:19  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have two ex-Players who are essentially only ex's because they've had to move. I've been trying to allow one of them to keep their PC (Heiratess) busy in Phlan allowing for both personal progress and to aide the active campaign as she can. Since the campaign has been very stargate-esque with the primary PCs going through pools of darkness to other towns that are trapped in the astral sea, it leaves days at a time for me to work with Heiratess' actions. Then when the group comes back through, I relay whatever info, supplies, etc. she's assembled for them.

One down-side I've run into is that Heiratess doesn't often sniff out things that don't fall into what she thinks to be part of main campaign: Phlan and other cities being stuck in the Astral Sea. As a result, she's missed out on/put off three-four plotlines.

1) Someone is murdering people routinely, and has been doing so monthly for the last 11 years.

2) The servants of Ellistrae that she called out to come to Phlan in 1340 (just before Heiratess was turned to mithral for 10 years) were run out of town, more or less, for suspicion of murder (see #1).

3) There's a giant spawn of moander under the town that's made excavations of Castle Valjevo (and thus the recovery of other heroes that were turned to mithral) very difficult.

4) Her tower is leaning 4 degrees to the left (see #3).

5) The wizard that was capable of casting a spell to return heroes to flesh from mithral is actually the lich from Northkeep.

6) The gnoll companion in her service was once human.

7) The orphanage that she founded and that is being run by an ex-thief cohort of hers has actually turned the orphanage into the rebuilt Welcomers of Phlan.

So, how do I work with Heiratess to get her pointed more towards these issues and not returning Phlan to the Prime Material Plane (Which her friends are doing)? I guess, in 2-3 sessions, that'll be dealt with, but generally I worry this sort of thing will be an issue.

What sort of quests should you give someone who just playing by e-mail, post, or im?

Are there any guides out there for running play-by-post campaigns?

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  19:11:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phlanscape. Interesting campaign style.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  21:05:28  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my overall goal is to get my campaign set up for the next 40 or so years. So ~ I started as early as possible - 1340. Right now, they're hip-deel in the Pools of Darkness debacle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000